Fed-Ord M-14

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by greyrifle, Sep 20, 2002.

1. greyrifle

greyrifle Guest

Need info on Fed-Ord M-14 as to durability, accuracy, and any info available.

2. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

They do not seem to have a good reputation , on anything they built .

Would not take a chance on one , unless it was VERY cheap .

SA , Inc. sometimes have their problems , but they have a preety good reputation & pretty good warrenty .

All the M-14 clones are over priced , but in the long run , SA , Inc. was my choice .

Wyr
    God Bless

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i have read posts here and else where. there are owners who swear by them, and owners that swear at them. i guess their ok, if its a good one.

4. hipowr

hipowr Guest

I think it comes down to how much work you're willing to put into them. The receiver will never be a very good one. With enough work, they can be made to shoot as well as any other M1A. The question remains how long that receiver will last though. I traded mine off many moons ago, but I know the guy who still has it. It hasn't gone bad yet, but I don't know the round count. I know I put a few thousand through it before he got it. If I could get one with GI parts for under $600, i'd take it. The worst that would happen would be I paid $600 for a GI parts set. In the best case, if the bugs were already worked out of the one you get, it could be a decent priced pre-ban.

later,
    AJ

5. 30Cal

30Cal Guest

They're very unpopular with the folks who have to work on them.

Ty

6. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

Unfortunatly, it's every bit the crap-shoot. Their problems seem to mirror those of Entreprise. How serviceable they are depends upon whom you ask. Some of the receivers seem to be a bit out-of-spec.
    Best bet...stick with Springfield Armory. Better reputation by far.

7. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

I heard it somewhere...

I heard it somewhere but in this case it fits perfect.

IT IS NOT THE GUN THAT COSTS $1400.00, IT's THE REPUTATION OF THE MANUFACTURER OR SMITH THAT PUT IT TOGETHER.

I to was THINKING of a Fed ORD, but thought otherwise when it had a possibility of being a wall hanger. I am a shooter not a collector.

Ask the guy if you can shoot it, take it apart and measure everything or send it to someone who will, to put your mind at ease. Before your body is on the line. :D