Federal .327 Magnum ???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TACAV, May 6, 2008.

1. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

"ANOKA, Minn. – November 9, 2007 – Federal Premium® has partnered with Ruger® to introduce a new personal defense revolver cartridge designed to deliver 357 Magnum ballistics out of a 32-caliber diameter platform—and with 20-percent less recoil.
    Federal Premium Ammunition has taken the often underpowered 32-caliber platform and beefed it up to achieve 357 Magnum velocity and energy out of a smaller package. This allows shooters to chamber an additional round in their wheelgun—six shots as opposed to the traditional five-shot cylinder offered in 38-Special and 357 Magnum guns."

Well after reading that one might ask, well why not go for the .327? Same power, less recoil, and one more shot out of a snubby?

It sounds good on paper to me as a person who is soon to get a Ruger SP101. But in .357 or .327? I dont know. But then again,the round is brand new and relatively untested. Im 95% leaning towards the tried and true .357 but Id figure Id ask about the .327 anyways. I know some people are touting this as another "useless round" trying to fit a job where there is already a bullet, while others are seeing it as a refinement or improvement over existing cartridges.

Does anyone else have any personal expirience with this round?

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/video/GATV_Federal327/
    interesting video on it from guns and ammo magazine.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I'm kinda interested in one...you can also shoot .32 H&R Mag and .32 S&W out of it...so if the round doesn't take off then at least you can still shoot it.

3. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I have a little trouble buying the "less recoil" part (all things being equal) -- you have .357 like performance, so's I'll bet you'll get .357 like recoil for all intensive purposes.

The SP-101's a great gun--got it when it first came out in .38 and was out shooting it today--bulletproof pistol and the extra shot in the wheelgun seems tempting. It's a good point being able to shoot the derated .32 rounds which will be around for a while. The flip side is you're taking a chance with a proprietary and new caliber (alot like the .45 GAP--will it catch on ?).

If you handload (or stockpile ammo) I'd say go for it. You could always buy a bunch of the magnum rounds and practice with the .32's.

4. Risk factor

The history of firearms is paved with good cartridge ideas that just did nto make it in the marketplace. Personally, I don't see any point to the .327
    when the .357 will be with us forever and you can handload it to lower recoil levels or purchase .38 + P ammo over the counter for less recoil.

5. TXplt

The main advantage I saw was the one extra round in a well-manufactured wheelgun.

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I get the same performance with my CZ-52 with EIGHT rounds..... :)

Carries under a jacket better too. :scool:

7. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

I don't want to ruffle feathers here, but can someone tell me what this round can do that the .30 Carbine and .32-20 can't?

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you have a lighter bullet,you have less recoil.As to the .30 car.With a 110gr hp at 1700fps+ it wipes the .327 out. Thats a longer barrel and more recoil.But the .32-20 in a handgun isnt all that much. sam.

9. TXplt

Be in an sp-101 with 6 shots.

I remain a fairly strong wheelgun fan for alot of general use, especially CCW, although I've recently gone to a sig P220 because it seems pretty reliable. In summer, probably go back to one of my snubbies, though.

It'd be nice to have a 6th shot in a high performance caliber for these; but not going to go out and buy another sp-101 to get this.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  10. High velocity out of a snub barrel. The .30 carbine would be all muzzle flash. Out of a 7 1/2" barrel, the .30 carbine does OK, 110 grain bullet at 1400 fps (about what a 9mm would do!). What will it do out of a snub? Probably much, much less. The .30 is truly a miserable little cartridge that is terribly inefficient out of short barrels. It sucks out of long ones for that matter. The 1700 fps someone mentioned earlier would require a handgun with a barrel as long as your leg.

Ruger’s .30 Carbine Blackhawk Revolver Is a Winning Tool

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The 1700fps was in the shooters bible ubder handgun loads.Actually it was 1790fps and still doing 1430fps at 100yds.I just looked it up and we used a custom barrel on a contender,12",did chrono it and averaged over 1700fps.Some people do reload and get the most out of short barrels.Hodgdon lists a load using a 7"bbl,and 110gr bullet over 15gr of H110 at 1685fps.Either you have very short legs or both Hodgdon and my chronagraph are lying.As to the .30car.being a miserable cartridge,I doubt that it is nearly as miserable as someone that tries to run someone else down by saying they are full of sh** before they check to see if they are right or wrong.You are wrong.We found the .30car. to be a very effective cartridge in both a 7 1/2" Ruger and a T/C out to 150yds. sam.

Last edited: May 8, 2008

12. No need to get excited, Sam. I was merely pointing out that 1700 fps isn't going to happen from anything but a very long barrel. A foot strikes me as being quite long. What was I wrong about? Also I never said you were full of anything, but since you brought it up, comparing the .30 out of a 12 inch barrel and saying it "wipes out" the .327 mag from a snub nose barrel did strike me as something a person full of sh** would say.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Evedently the length of your legs. sam.

14. I'll try not to offend your literal-minded sensibilities with any colorful hyperbole in future, Sam, I had no idea you had such a delicate nature. I didn't mean to upset you.

Suppose you tell us what a .30 carbine round would get from a 2" barrel revolver, since you've declared it would "wipe out" the .327 mag?

Why do you suppose the 7 1/2" barrel Ruger Blackhawk got such low velocities compared to the 12" Thompson Center Contender barrel you mention? (I think I know the answer, I just want to check your expert opinion before I say something you'll be unhappy about)

I've seen you insult others here when you disagree with them, and your comments become downright ugly. How do you manage to stay on the site?

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The 1685fps load in Hodgdons load manual was a blackhawk revolver with 7 1/2"bbl.We just never loaded to Hodgdons speed even with the T/C.As to a revolver getting lower readings,even with equal barrel lengths there might be a little difference,'but' revolvers are meisured the length of the barrel,not including the chamber.Breakopens are meisured the full length,including chamber making the T/C actually shorter.I am pleased to hear you are concerned about my health.I worry about you as well. sam.

16. One minor bit of advice Sam:

Only Jeff Cooper could get away with using the imperial "we" when refering to himself. It just looks silly on everybody else.

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

There you go,writing about situations you know nothing about, or emagining the scenario.When I used the refference 'we'I was speaking of tests "I" did with "others',in other words "WE". sam.

18. TXplt

Boy, this got hostile in a hurry. Simmer down folks; we're supposed to be "friendly" here :)

I don't know if anyone's done tests of the 30 carbine out of the equivalent of a 3" SP-101 barrel, but I really doubt it'd beat the honest 1300+ fps out of the sp-101 with factory ammo in the .327 federal. Maybe close (maybe not), but I don't know of alot of snubbies chambered for the .30 carbine, much less factory loads with efficient powders for short barrels (the federal round was designed around the sp-101 for a snubby). The magnum like performance coupled with an extra shot in a market dominated with 5-shots (using the strength of the ruger to expolit higher pressures) is what makes this revolver potentially attractive. That's all there is to this. No need getting worked up over it. Don't know if it'll catch on or not, but the concept is not a bad one.

19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have never been hostile.Entertained,told I was full of sh**,and when I proved my point,told I was insulting.But never hostile. It was also falsly stated that I posted about .30car. cartridges in a 3" barrel.I never did.I have experience with 7 1/2" revolver and 12" T/C and that was what I stated.The question was asked about .30car. and .32-20 and or I wouldnt have posted about .30car.And along comes taurus fan saying I was full of crap and when I questioned the length of his legs and posted where the verification could be found,was told I was insulting.It doesnt bother me in the least because I verified what I posted on the .30car cartridge but never did find out how long his legs were so there is no verification as to whether a barrel would have to be as long as his leg to get 1700fps+ from a .30car..As to being insulting,I am not out to win a personality contest,and enjoy this forum very much but if I break the rules,I should be punished for it.As to short(3")barrels and .30car,I have no experience,"BUT" according to Hodgdon,s posting of 1685fps using a 110gr bullet and 7"bbl,I would assume you could get much more than 1400fps from a 3"bbl.In fact,going by guidelines stated by gun guru,s of 25fps per 1" of barrel,I come up with 1585fps from a 3"bbl.I doubt that the muzzle blast would be any worse than the .327.Since there is only .090"difference in length and width is similar the powder chg should be similar.Hope noone got insulted in this reply. sam.

20. I pointed out a thread that listed velocities from a 7 1/2" Ruger, I did not say you were full of anything Sam. I'm very skeptical about that claim of 25 fps velocity loss per each inch of barrel, it's going to vary widely depending on the cartridge and can be much more than that. Whoever told you that you can assume a 25 fps drop per each inch of barrel regardless of the cartridge/bullet weight? That's utter nonsense.