FEG P9R "Hi Power Clone"

Discussion in 'FEG' started by Mooseguy_87, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I just got this handgun after waiting for the payments to go through, but i finally own it. I always thought the hi power design looked great, and rugged, and figured I would go for it. Now since I spent a portion of my moeny was also spent on a .22 WMR rifle, I'll have to wait on ammo until next payday which isn't that far away I'd like to see how this P9R handles this weekend. are there any pros and cons about this gun that anyone has had before, or is it a straight shooter for a 9mm? Also I have a picture of it on my user CP in my photo album if anyone is interested in seeing it. Thank you.
    Andrew Hunewill

2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    I purchased one a couple months ago and have found it to be a great shooter and as accurate as I can be.
    You will hear horror stories as well as great stories so in reality you will have to shoot it and form your own opinion.
    My opinion is you're gonna like it. It does feel good in the hand.

3. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

I had one a good one a few years back and it was a great shooter.

4. the condition mine is in is quite exceptional. I do love how it feels in my hands you are right on that on jar head. The only complaint i have of the gun is that the trigger is quite heavy compared to my CZ-82. but I have to see how it shoots. range report will be up hopefully next weekend. Thanks for the input guy much appreciated.
    Andy

5. Um, one other question. My P9R does not accept Hi Power Magazines. So, does anyone know where I can get P9R mags if there are any out there?

6. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    CDNN Sports

I believe Sarco has them also.

Just a note...the 15 and 17 rounders may not fit...the 13 rounders will.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  7. rksap

rksap G&G Regular

I have had my P9R for years and love it. Shoots great. Although it is often referred to as a "Hi-Power Clone" it's not, really (The P9's were a closer match to the Browning HP's). Externally, it is similar, but not internally. Original mags are hard to come by, as FEG doesn't make them anymore. But you might be able to find them on the internet. S&W Model 59 magazines will fit with a slight modification (need to cut a locking slot on the opposite side).

8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

rksap, I've been told by a very knowledgeable gunsmith that the FEG P9 series is close enough to the Browning Hi-Power that Hi-Power magazines fit and work in a P9. Is he correct?

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Thanks for starting this thread Mooseguy, you reminded me that I started a set of grips for a guy for one of these and the project got derailed during a move. I need to find\finish his grips and get them to him.

10. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

Yes. The FEG true HP takes FN/Browning mags. You most likely won't find one under the 'P9' model, since that was FEG's designation. Almost all of the imported ones were various models made up by Kassnar, like PJK-9HP. That is the most usual one found, and the earlier models have all Browning features and parts do interchange with some fitting sometimes needed. There's a later version with a different slide stop and it does not use the barrel camming lug found in the HP frame, as it uses a hybrid system more like the S&W system. Speaking of S&W, the P9R at the top of the thread is not a Hi-Power in any way, shape or form. The only thing they have in common is the caliber. These double-action pistols were based on the S&W Model 59, so that's where to look for magazines. I'm not saying they work, just that they might with some fitting. Here's my PJK-9HP:
    [​IMG]
    And here is a P9R:
    [​IMG]

MoDoc likes this.
  11. rksap

rksap G&G Regular

That is my understanding. The P9 and the Hi-Power have many interchangeable parts and the magazines are, supposedly, interchangeable as well. The P9R, on the other hand, does not.

*Remember though, that no matter what you call any of these FEG pistols, they DO NOT take +P ammo!*

12. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

I don't know if they are still available but I bought a 10 round mag through Midway about a year ago. I didn't find a larger magazine.

I got a P9R in a trade and found that the gun was fairly accurate. Trigger pull was very stiff but I could still shoot it OK. I gave the gun to my son so he could shoot in a local action pistol match. That mag was for that - so he would have 5 in all.
    (He did respectably well)

I happened on 3 used mags in a local gun shop. Rummaged around and picked them out of a "used junk" bin - they looked the same and turns out they were. There weren't any more, I looked at. Shop owner thought they were for Hi-Power but the mags would not fit.

I was worried at first because I could see a line (or crack) in the breech end of the barrel. Turns out that FEG uses a 2 piece barrel so what I saw was normal. And careful measuring shows it has not grown bigger. Overall it seemed sturdy. One thing I did not like was the sights. Not replaceable an very small. I considered having a gunsmith mill some dovetails but I gave it to my son first.

13. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Whoops! I had the PJK-9HP then. If anyone in my general AO sees or has one with a parkerized finish and the old now discontinued Uncle Mikes Rubber Grips that one was mine.

14. I just ordered 3 Mags from Sarco Inc. 3 for $34.50, I couldn't say no, and a holster as well. But here is the best part
    me "Ma'am, how close is Sarco Inc from Washington DC area?"
    lady "Oh we're less than a 2 hr drive actually. Easton, PA is very close to you."
    me "Oh cool then the mags and holster should be here sooner than I thought!"
    lady "Actually it will still take 7 to 10 business to ship."
    ME "what, really, you gotta be kidding me."
    Eh oh well At Least I know My P9R mags and holster will be here.......sometime.

15. also I noticd at runof the mill Federal 115 Gr FMJ don't cycle too well, but Spanish ammo preformed better than the federal. The spanish ammo will be my home defense ammo, solid lead bullet.

16. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

I just learned something new - the 'P9RC' was adapted by the Hungarian military/police as the standard handgun at some point years ago. I'm guessing the 'C' equates to the 'K', or short. Styled more like the 39 but double-stack mag like the 59, with Browning-style cuts in the front of the slide/frame.

17. Actually Does anyone know if they is a company that makes wood grips? the fake wood Bakelite looking grips just don't feel as good ya know?

18. The new magazines and holster came in the mail. now i have 4 mags for the P9R. I am a happy camper.

19. I have been having issues with regular federa, blazer brass, and independece ammo.I bough some AE and winchester 124 Gr so hopfeully a heavier and hotter load will function better than the 115 Gr rounds. And I might be wrong but wasn't the P9R designed for SMG ammuntion, not regular 9mm ammo?

20. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

No. Regular 9mm should operate the gun. Maybe somebody put a stiff recoil spring in it.