Feg pa-63

Discussion in 'FEG' started by srt 10 jimbo, Dec 12, 2011.

1. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Good looking gun, congrats! FWIW, the grip blanks appear to be Honduran Rosewood-if you decide you want them finished out, let me know-I've been building grips for these for several years.

2. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

That is the auction pic, and those grips were not included. I didn't want them anyway since I hardly have time to attempt tp make grips. I'll probably buy some grips from Marschal. I bought a set of HP grips from him years ago and they were very well done.

[​IMG]

3. PushPuller

PushPuller G&G Newbie

Got one of these a few days ago! and its safe to say that these are a VERY underestimated pistol! I thought it shot beautifully and I also thought that the recoil was nothing but manageable!

4. Sarge

Sarge G&G Addict

I got my PA 63 about 7 or 8 yrs ago, it's the all blued one - don't like the shinny frame.
    I agree the double action trigger pull is a real bitch! However since I never shoot mine double action it doesn't matter.
    I do not find the recoil a problem, nor did my 10 yr old niece and 11 yr old nephew when they shot it 5 yrs ago. I always take it with me when I go visit because they want to shoot it along with what ever else I take up. Neither one liked my Tokerov though.
    The PA 63 is my small carry when the Hi-Power is to big.
    Sarge

5. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

So you're saying get the 15# recoil spring and the 11# hammer spring to tame that horrendous double-action pull, and still protect the frame from battering? Evidently the designer of the PA-63 used the stiff hammer spring and lighter recoil spring to reduce battering and still allow for a fairly easy draw-back of the slide. Going the other way with the springs seems to be logical. I want to carry it but would prefer to have DA on the first shot. As it stands, that's not going to happen with the measured 33# DA pull. I had to use a 50# luggage scale to get that measurement.

6. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Not to hijack the thread, but I know lots of guys are looking for grips for these. I'm in the process of getting my new shop up and running and hope to be building grips for these again in the next few months.

7. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

I went ahead and ordered the 15# recoil spring and a set of light hammer springs. I'm going to let my gunsmith do the hammer spring, at least that's my thinking now.

ETA: I just watched a video on disassembly, and hammer spring is easy to swap. I can definitely do that. Looks like all you do is take the grips off, punch the pin out and the spring and plug fall out.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  8. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

That went easy - the hammer spring pin pushed out with a punch and no hammer. I installed the 9 lb hammer spring. The 11 lb was better than the original, but I decided I'd try it since it's a fast, easy swap, and I had the 3-spring set. I also installed the extra-power recoil spring, but when I saw what was involved with changing the firing pin spring, I decided to shoot it with the old FPS and see if I get any slam-fires. I'll shoot it tomorrow. The 9 lb hammer spring results in a pretty good DA pull and a very light SA pull. I'll have to see how that works out on the range, but if I don't get any 'bump-fire' while shooting I'll leave it as-is. If the SA is too light for safety, I'll go back with the 11 lb.
    Even though the recoil spring is stiffer than original, drawing back the slide to load, against the hammer, is no problem because of the lighter hammer spring. Assuming no problems at the range, this is a very good thing to do to a PA-63. Now I will have no reservations on carrying it hammer-down for the DA first pull.
    The Wolff spring sets are always excellent and I definitely recommend the Wolff springs for the PA-63.

jwrauch likes this.
  9. 1saxman

1saxman G&G Newbie

Wow! It's a different pistol now. Function was perfect and easy pulls. If you have a PA63 with the really stiff DA pull, you need to do this modification.