Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ferro Rod

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by olcop, Feb 12, 2018.

1. olcop

olcop G&G Evangelist

Anyone know if the ferro rods sold by Harbor Freight are solid ferro or just a coating over steel. Their price is very reasonable if they are solid.

2. olcop

olcop G&G Evangelist

Yes, it's the one I mean, actually I already have several of them, and they do work but, (for lack of a better word) wondering if they wore out after a period of use, ie: ,scrape all the coating off over time and make it useless, or if they are solid ferro or misch metal, and likely to have a reasonable lifetime.
  3. Cyrano likes this.
  4. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I'm about half way through mine & it still makes sparks like new.
    ncnascarlady likes this.
  5. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

Well, the reviews from verified buyers are all positive. They look inexpensive enough to beat up and see. I may pick a few up.
  6. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

There are some internet reviews on it, some say it's Ok others not so happy with it. I bought several for my BOB and will try it out in the near future.
    ncnascarlady likes this.
  7. Get Out

Get Out G&G Addict

Check these guys out. The Ferro rods send out a huge flash of hot sparks every time. There are a lot of YouTube references to look at as well. I’ve used it on a couple of camping trips and I plan to get a few extra because of the huge flash of hot sparks it makes when struck .

Überleben Zünden | 5/16", 3/8" or 1/2" Thick Bushcraft Fire Steel with Wood Handle | 12,000-20,000 Strikes | Ferro Rod Fire Starter for Survival | 6 in 1 Multi-Tool.
    Ten Man likes this.
  8. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I have an old torch starter hanging off my duffel bag. I don't know if anyone else has thought of using one as a fire starter, but they last for ages and you can put your tender directly in the "bowl" and spark it, and then set your tender into your fuel without the wind affecting it. Best part is that since it is one-handed you can use a twig or something in the other hand to shuffle the embers around a bit and make sure they get a good start.
    Dutch and Ron Eagle Elk like this.
  9. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist