Finally finished The 6.8spc build!

Discussion in 'AR15' started by cremley, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Howdy everyone!

I have been off the forums for a while and haven't been able to really do anything gun related for a long while now. Anyway, it has been a good 9 or 10 months since I started this project of mine but I am pretty much finished with the AR I was building and asking about months ago.

Hopefully the pictures get attached.

It is a STAG arms lower stamped 6.8spc with a STAG arms upper also stamped 6.8spc. I have had those two and the two mags (1 5 round and 1 10 round i think) since March. I ordered some ammo for it a few months ago and I finally had enough saved up for the scope (a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40) and a Burris riser. I have to say that I am very impressed with the scope and I wasn't expecting the clarity to be so good for such a low cost scope! I will just have to see how it handles up to shooting. I am sure it will be just fine though.

The only thing I haven't done with this gun is shoot it yet! I was planning on going this weekend but I just came down with some sort of cold or something and I am really not feeling up to being out in the heat of the desert. Hopefully I can go soon though!

Attached Files:

2. looks nice, need some range reports sometime :), i need a A2 or a magpul PRS for my 20"

3. Good looking build. im gonna have a new build soon since im trading mine for a ps90 so im gonna have to look into the 6.8. whats the max. eff. on that in a 20"

4. From the little research I have done I have seen the max effective range ranging from 300-600yds. I think they depended on different bullets and loads and even the rifles used and what the shooter thought was the max effective range. One thing that was constant was the fact that everyone said the velocities were comparable to the .223 at the same ranges and the bullet drop was in between the .223/5.56 and the .308/7.62x51 which isn't much of a difference between all three. I think the energy that it strikes with at each range will be more than the 5.56 just because it is a bigger bullet with the same velocity as the 5.56. the 20" barrel saw an increase of 100fps over the 16" barrel.

I definitely want to get some range time behind it now!

5. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Cremley I really like your build. It's simple and functional and that's what I like about it. What is the twist rate on the barrel and is it the standard chamber or the newer SPCII chamber?

6. The barrel is 1/11" twist and I am not too sure on the chamber. Here is a link to the upper:

Stag Arms

7. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

Looks good, I've been thinking about a 6.8 myself.

8. Spindrift

Spindrift G&G Newbie

****! I envy you ! I finally saved enough to buy an AR and have spent tons of time researching. I got sick of paying 2 to 3 bucks a shot for my Weatherby and decided I wanted something I could afford to target shoot and double for deer season. When I heard about the 6.8 my ears perked up. After all said and done, I decided on the the Stag 5L. The folks there are awesome answering questions. They all come now with the 1/11 twist and the spec 2 chamber to handle the new high pressure rounds. I plan to put my new Redfield scope on when I get it. Just when I was ready to buy, Stag came out with the new piston version and I said OH NO! Now I have to rethink everything when my brain just stopped hurting. But they don't have it in the 6.8 yet. So I did the research anyway, and decided against the piston because I hunt in zero degree weather often. I was opting for the .308 but Stag doesn't make that, and they have the best (almost only) true left hand platform. Then I discovered the 6.8 almost mirrors the .308 performance.

PLease keep us posted, I'm very interested to hear what you think about it and how it performs.

9. OneHitWonder

OneHitWonder G&G Newbie

I've been researching this for a while. As a 6.8 or .458 thumper have intriuged me enough to consider hunting with an AR carbine.

Try this forum for all things 6.8.
    Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com - Powered by vBulletin

Let us know what you buy and how it performs. I think Stag is great.

10. I will do my best to get to the range as soon as possible. I really want to shoot it and do a few different tests with it so hopefully I can go soon. I will post as good of a range report as I can when I go.