Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being without a 30-30 all my life I finally found one.
I took a couple safe queens to the show and came back with a Savage model 99 in 30-30, and yeah a model 99 action is overkill for that cartridge but this is a nice rifle.
It's born on date is 1908 but the bore is super and it has been expertly refinished some time in the past.
I fully intend to use it this fall.
The action locks up like a bank vault and everything appears to be in good working order, shells load and eject with authority and the nifty little round count window works.
Pictures and range report are forthcoming.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man awesome two rifles! Built like a tank and great wood too. Nice to have in 30-30. Hope my buddy held onto his 99 he bought back around 80 new. In .250 with indian head carved in stock. Might have been a limited edition. One super gun to have from the past.
The 1920 next to it is chambered in .250.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
I've had 2 different .30-30's in the past. A Winchester 94 and a older Marlin 336. Never found a Savage 99 around here in .30-30 that was in that great of shape. Just priced like they were.

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
185 Posts
I wanted a 99 in .308 win , but they seem to be attached to the people that own them. I was perusing a For sale board on another forum and ran across a 99 in .300 Savage that was scoped with a Redfield 2-7x in about 90% shape with the schnabel forend , had a case, sling, leather cheek pad , and a bunch of ammo and Brass for $300.00 . It now lives in my gun Safe ready for use.
Found a set of RCBS dies for 15.00 at Tulsa Gun show so I am good to go !

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
CJ those two Savage rifles are sweet! I have a 99 in .308Win and I had an exact copy of your Savage 1920 in .250-3000. That is one of those rifles that are timeless classics...wish I never sold it but at the time..You definitely do not see too many Savage 99s in .30-30 , but in that condition it is even more rare..great find.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Reactions: neophyte and K75RT

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CJ those two Savage rifles are sweet! I have a 99 in .308Win and I had an exact copy of your Savage 1920 in .250-3000. That is one of those rifles that are timeless classics...wish I never sold it but at the time..You definitely do not see too many Savage 99s in .30-30 , but in that condition it is even more rare..great find.
[/QUOTE

Ever wonder if the rifle someone else has is one of your old ones?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Kool!!! I shot my first deer with a 99 in 300 Sav borrowed from a neighbor when I was 13. :) Now you can use spitzer bullets with that magazine, a real plus. I like my 'John Wayne' assault rifles in 336 personally, but like the one you have too. Enjoy! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts