Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my hands on a garand. Its in good shape springfield reciever and the #s match the stock. Has a VAR barrel. The rear site it mark IHC does this mean its an international rear site? I am just curious about the site markings, and how I would date the weapon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can date the receiver by the serial number. Pull back the slide and look at the barrel. If' it's GI it will be dated but may not be original to the receiver. More M1's have been rebarreled and rebuilt for the last 50 years or so. In the 60's there was a massive rebuilding program for the National Guard. You can check Scott Duff'S site to check the year your receiver was made. Great rifle, have fun shooting it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The VAR barrels also have date markings similar to USGI. A check of your rifle serial number will show an approximate date on when ithe receiver was made.
As you have described sounds like a Danish rifle as offered from the CMP. They are very good shooters, so take yours out to the range and see what it can do.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Civilian Marksmanship Program, they take M1's from the gummint, and sell them to qualified civies to promote marksmanship. its the current version of the old DCM.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
No kidding?!?!!? I think I'll look into that. If Liss can keep her mouth shut I might just qualify for one! LOL :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts