Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
up here in the PNW ithe weather has been warm and sunny sot the deer have not meen out much. But last night it rained real good and I filled my doe tag. It was a long 200-300 yard shot I hit her in the lungs and liver. I'm going to take the range finder out and shoot it and see how far it was. She was a good avarage size doe going to make a real good eater, now I just have to fill my buck tag. It was the first deer I took with my 700 in 30-06.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Congratulations! You're gett'in my hunting fever up just talking about your harvest. What kind of terrain were you in? And...time of day, etc.?

I've got to wait till MO's firearm deer season around November 7th +/-. Then I'll be heading to NW MO to my deer stand set up in a hilly area covered with timber.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just back and tok the range finder out, turned out to be 170yards. BOy it shure looked farther.
I got her on an 8 week old clearcut that was a series of finger ridges that made kinda a laying down W I shot her from the far end of one side back to the inside if the far ridge.
We have alot of rough wooded country around here, with alot of underbrush, black berrys ect, hard to walk through quietly.
Mainly arond here you
1. road hunt on logging roads
2. "still" or "spot and stalk" walking old overgrown roads
3. find a clearcut and glass the area and wait
Tree stand a are used bot not to the extent that they are in other, places not many people use blinds or any type of stands.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
Congrats!
Didn't get to bow hunt this year due to a bad elbow. Anxiously await the gun season at the end of Nov.

All of you guys and gals stories are getting me excited!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I cut er up on friday and and got 50lbs of meat aint too bad for black tail around here. Puts her at about 120 on the hoof.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
170 yds, you say? Very good shooting. Very good indeed. You shoot iron or scope? Either way, there is nothing wrong with a shot like that. Well done!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I'm using a 3-9X40 Tasco World Class. 165gr Hornady BTSP with Imr 4350. I plan on going to a leupold VX in the future (2-7?). Love the gun. I made a mistake in guessing the didtance but still made the shot. I have found that the terrain has a horrable effect on my judgement on yardage, I thing that I'm going to start carrying a range finder. I trust it more then my poorly calibrated eye.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Different terrains have a tendency to do that. I once camped next to the Vaal river in South-Africa, and I looked across, and said to myself "It's not all that wide. I think I'll swim across it." Dang near didn't make it. It was a LOT farther than it looked.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congratulations on your first deer!!! :cheer:

170 yards is a long shot by any standards. My first deer I think I could have hit with a rock he was so close. The very last day of the season with about 15 minutes of daylight left I shot a little buck that broke his antlers off from about 50 feet. It was an old Savage 340 bolt-action .30-30 that did the job and I was only 9 years old, but my grandpa made me feel like a man.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, copper sorry if I miss lead any of you it was my first deer of the year, and only one this year :( . I'm up to four door now :) . The last two day sof the season my sister got a good three point( one side had fork) with eye guards. the next day her husband got a three X three, now they are dis owned by the family, ok maby not. I will post pics when they get them to me. Hope everybody else has a good season I'm done fo the year.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I was stationed up at Ft. Lewis, Wa. I always heard stories from the locals about hunting black tail along the coast. I always wanted to go, but the season always coincided with deer season back in Missouri. I hear that blacktail are harder to hunt than most species of deer. I heard they prefer the nastiest and thickest cover that they can find, and don't venture out into open area very often. Sounds like fun to me!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes they are tough to hunt it you want to get a big one. They go to places taht you will never go through quietly. They seem to be less responsive to rattling and sents. My brother in laws scored 107, amy not be big to you white tailed guy but here its a big guy. you can be do good hunting clear cuts but your chances if getting a three(western count) point or better are not as good. A big buck here is 200 on the hoof. Therer are no cuch thing as food plots out here, we don't bait, its all skill and mostly luck. Not to say we would not bait if we could.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts