Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Global Warming Enthusiast
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The link to that stopping power study was interesting to say the least... More on that in a sec. So that notwithstanding, a while back I told my GF she had to learn to shoot. She hated guns and feared them, I told her that her fears were irrational and driven by the media and left wing nuts. After some convincing she agreed and we went to pick out a pistol for her. She chose the Glock19 which I though was a pretty good choice at the time...

So I started to teach her to shoot, and good Lord she couldn't hit a bus from ten feet away with that thing. No matter what I tried, it just wasn't working, sometimes she'd get a decent group but most of the time half of her shots weren't even near the paper. She kept complaining about the recoil and I told her she'd get used to it and to press on. It turns out that G19 was just too snappy for her and she was just scared to pull that trigger. I just didn't want to go down to a .22LR for home defense, but I was afraid that might be the only choice.

I had considered my Ruger Mar III but as much as I love that piece, I just don't trust .22 autos to not jam. I decided to give the .380 a try and bought her a Sig 232. After two trips to the range I could see some improvement but still... I kept working on her stance and grip, all seemed fine especially for a novice. Yesterday it finally all started coming together. Her groupings improved dramatically and at 25' everything was within about 8" or so with an occasional flyer. By the way, I've only had her shoot in a Weaver type stance so far...

Right before we left I handed her the SIG and sold her to "shoot him in the head" which as you can see she did quite well. Then I handed her my Mark III and told her to "shoot him in the neck".... Out of 17 shots only one missed the green. She was so happy, had a great time and now can't wait to go back and start working on improving even more.

The last 17 shots she took, 25' standing.

Choosing a weapon that fits the shooter is huge, she still can't shoot that Glock, literally to save her life. The SIG 232 she absolutely loves!

Registered
Good for her.
My wife shoots a 1911 better than anything else. She can make one big hole at 25', but has trouble with a lot of other handguns.
I guess it's true that the gun picks the shooter.

Premium Member
+1 on getting the gun to fit the shooter.

My wife was set on a 380 as that was the minimum I would "let her" carry.
Got her a Bersa and she did great, but then she complained that it was too snappy. Got her that Walther PK380 and she loves it! She practically begs me to go shoot now :)

Wonderment :)
Proactive Neighbor

ACfixer: Sir, good on you for being concerned for "GF"ACfixer"
We need more like you, educating our friends and spouses.
Share, our excitement, and joy having another proactive neighbor:)

Global Warming Enthusiast
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Now if I can just get her to kick that lazy son of hers out... I might let her move in and be Mrs. ACfixer. ;)

You don't know what a relief it is to finally see some measurable progress! Almost all of her groups yesterday were really good considering her experience. Her attitude changed immediately and now she's excited about shooting. The woman truly loves me and she'd go run a hundred rounds through my .44 mag if I asked her to, just to please me... But I could tell before the last couple trips to the range she wasn't enjoying it a whole lot. She's never said no when I told her we needed to go send some lead downrange, but she's rarely asked me to go shooting, maybe once. Today she had her cell pics of her groups and was showing them to her gun-nut boss and co-workers!

We have women's shooting clinics at the club, and after yesterday she's now open to the idea of learning how to progress to the point the can do what needs to be done under stressful situations.

A good day at the range indeed!

Premium Member
more women need to learn to shoot and handle a gun.
Personally, I think it's sexy. Those pics of Sarah Palin with an M4 here a while back may have been Photoshopped, but they still looked good!

I'm all about empowering women and a gun is just the way to do it!
Just don't let it go to your head ladies :) hehehehe

Seriously though, I really do think it's necessary.

Registered
I have been married for eight years to a woman I met in Thailand. Shooting there seems to be limited to expensive gun clubs, so she had never handled a firearm until after we got married. I got her to try a few rounds from a P-22 at the range one day several years ago, but she did not like it. It was not until a month ago that she let me talk her into going to the rifle range in North Las Vegas when we were visiting my brother. Our group had the range to ourselves because it was cold (60 F) but windless. My niece was shooting a suppressed AR15, my brother was on a suppressed 308 with subsonic ammo. My wife was shooting a suppressed Savage MKii with a can and CCI standard velocity ammo as well as ear muffs. It took her about 20 rounds to get used to the rifle and I did not bother with teaching her to squeeze and use breath control, but I did make a cheek piece out of cloth and tape so she would be steady on the sandbags.

She put 15 rounds into a 2 inch group at 100 yards. When she asked if it was OK, I told her it was great for a beginner. I feel good when I group 1.5 inches, so I was proud of her and told her so. Her only complaint was that she had to stop and reload every 5 rounds, so I am getting her two ten rounds mags for the rifle.

WA finally allows silencer use, so when the weather improves she will join me at the range here in WA. The local club will also be installing proper restrooms, so she will no longer be able to complain about the noise and porta pottys. I still need to find a good smelling gun powder though. Unfortunately that is an acquired taste and I only met one woman who said she liked the smell of gunpowder.

Ranb

Registered
My wife (5'2" 115#) and I were at the pistol range Saturday shooting my old .38 and her new Bond Defender derringer. This was her second time to shoot the Bond and she was "killing" the silouhete with every shot. Granted the shots were spaced 4 to 5 inches apart, but you would expect a shot group like that with a derringer.

Anyway the guy in the next lane wanted to know what she was shooting, she had just switched from a .45 round to the .410 round. Of course it made a lot more noise.

She explained what it was and asked if he wanted to shoot it, of course he did and proceeded to shoot low left with the first shot and high right with the second shot. Kinda embarrassed himself, he he he.

Now she is hooked and already looking at another handgun.

Old man, No tact...
Work on her stance, grip, trigger squeeze, and sight alignment, with a .22 ...... once mastered, those fundamentals will easily transfer to a larger caliber. Don't rush it. Her pace is best....

Registered
All of these things still hold true for rifles also. I remember when I was in the Guard that our female soldiers were kind of iffy about our M16 A2s we had initially, because the M16 is so long. But then we got issued the M4, and they all loved that little thing, because it could be made smaller to fit their stature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts