close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finders, Keepers..

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Aug 29, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Yesterday evening my wife and I went to a local grocery store. My wife removed our infant son form his car seat and I went and retrieved a basket/cart to put him in.

I grabbed a cart, naturally the one with the bad wheel, and returned to the car. I looked down and noticed that there was a wallet in the cart. I opened it up and looked at the ID. It was a picture of a good'ole boy. I stopped counting the money at $600 and change! I told my wife to get on the cell phone and call information and see if we could get a hold of the guy. She was able to get his number and I called his house. I got an answering maching that identified the residence as the ***** family, the same name on the ID. I basically told him that I had found his wallet and gave him my location. I told him that I did not want to leave it a customer service for fear that the money would be removed, but would be forced to do so if I did not hear back from him quickly. Well, with the modern technology he was able to get my cell number off of Caller ID. It didn't take the old boy anytime to return to the store and locate me in the customer service line! He thanked me profusely. I told him to be glad that an off duty cop found it, not some typical San Antonio thug.

Ya know, six hundred bucks would have helped out a lot with some bills we have, not to mention a new baby. But my conscience would not have let me sleep for a long time........

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

wow six hundred bucks!!! your a good man!!! i wonder what it feels like to have that much cash in the wallet in my back pocket??? all mine has is pocket lint!!!:rolleyes:

3. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

Were in the same boat PAPA G:D :D :D

4. Honesty in my book goes a long way.

5. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Honesty and Integrity!!!!

Not that you haven't been alright in my book - but you are more than alright in my book!

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Good karma. Eventually the accounting comes due. Many would have failed this test.

7. Always knew you were a stand up dude....go blue!!!!!!!!!

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I found one with $5013.00 and a deposit slip...I deposited the money in the bank and delivered the receipt to the owner afterwards...he became one of my best friends for 13 years...sadly we've drifted apart after I moved 340 miles away

9. Hooray for you 1*! Its nice to know there are still some honest people out there. Once I found a wallet with only $17 in it. I found the owner and returned it. He was so happy to get it back that he gave me a $25 reward. Honesty does pay.

10. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Yeah, it did feel good to be able to locate the owner. I think it probably did wonders for the police/civillian relationship. I was sure to let him know that I was an off duty cop!

11. psycho dad

psycho dad G&G Newbie

your moral compass is set true north. you did right, watch and see it will come back to you, maybe not right away, but it will.

12. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

my friend I mentioned above has been on my resume' as a referrence...I haven't had any problems finding a job ever since...

13. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Lenny's Wife: Where did you get that new gun?

Lenny: um...uhh...I found it at the gorcery store...

:)

14. Heck mine doesn't even have lint, you can kinda see were the lint was though!
    Good work though 1* ya done good!

-Jesse

15. Gus L.

Gus L. G&G Newbie

I was on a mountain bike ride a few years ago, we had just finished our ride and we were entering the parking lot.
    As we loaded up the bikes I saw a car leave the lot and something slid off the roof of the car to the ground.
    I went to pick it up and it was a wallet.
    I looked in the wallet for ID and the guy was a few miles away from me.
    When I got back home I looked him up in the book and called his #.
    He was over in a matter of hours, with all of his credit cards and Cash intact.
    Just something you do for a fellow human being...

16. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    don't take this the wrong way. But, some folks don't know how to have someone be straight with them. People are generally crap. OK to do the right thing. However it may be safer to turn over to someone else to take care of. It would be a pitty to do a good deed for chester the molester, then he makes it his life's goal to be you and your familys "buddy"

17. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Jerry I disagree with you. I saw a study done by the University of Michigan. It involved a class that put gold plated bars (not the big huge gold bricks, but small bars) in baggies and put some business name on a card in the baggie with the bar. The placed 100 of these all over town (ghettos through rich neighborhoods) in areas where people were likely to find them. I believe 97 were returned within 2 days or so. I think people are generally good.

18. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    good point. I did make the error of injecting my own personal opinion in there. I still think it best to let someone else do the foot work ie.. law enforcement or other agency.

19. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I think most of us would have done the same thing. However, if it were my wallet, I don't have enough faith in the goodness of humanity to think I would ever see it again. That's the thing about my line of work, the only time I see the good folks are when they have been burglarized or their daughters have been sexually assaulted, etc....

20. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Oneastrix: You did the right thing. The old saying is "What goes around comes around." There's no question in my mind that your conscience will be easier to live with for being honest.

The last time I found something was while I was in Italy. Our motorcoach had stopped at a rest stop where dozens of other foreigners were standing around outside among 10-12 busses. I looked down and found a billfold so looked inside for identification. It had identification from someone from California. Talked to our tour guide and she advised giving it to a local policeman who was standing among the crowd.

That's what I did but later discussions about this subject with several other people convinced me that some of the Italian police are not as honest as we'd like to believe. Maybe I should have mailed it to the California guy when I returned stateside. The billfold was full of credit cards but no cash.
    Oxford:nod: