close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finding the right 1911

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I got bit a couple years ago w/ the "gotta have a 1911" bug. Thinking that I wanted to stay traditional, I bought a stainless Colt 1991a1. $1000 later, it's still not right. Now, I'm regretting not buying that $1250 custom that I liked for the Colt I thought would be just as nice once "I got used to it."
    Anyway, my question is now, are Springfield or Kimber worth looking at, or should I just try to find a buyer (probably for a loss :( :nod: ) for my Colt & pick up that custom I liked?

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Of the three,in order of "nice",#1,Kimber,#2,Springfield,#3,Colt. Personally,I like any of these.

3. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

The problem is, I've seen a couple samples of each that weren't even remotely reliable. Why spend upwards of $1000+ for 2.5 pounds of steel? Why is it necessary to buy one & have a gunsmith make it reliable & accurate w/ a decent trigger?

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I have a Springfield V-12 stainless with the ported barrel. Man this puppy barks on the range and its pretty cool watching those flames shoot out the ports. $800 tax and title brother, but it could still use a little trigger tweak,not much, just a little.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Maybe you expected too much from the pistol. The 1991A1 is Colt's lowest-priced "entry level" pistol. I bought mine new in '94, added a set of thicker grips and kept it stock otherwise. It's been absolutely reliable, and accurate enough for a defense gun.
    If I wanted all the bells&whistles, I'd go with one of the better custom makers. It would be less expensive and far less trouble than rebuilding one from the frame up. Just my personal preference, even though I'm a big-time "Do-it-yourselfer".

6. Eddie

Eddie G&G Newbie

Ky
    I have owned my springfield sence 1988, and could'nt ask for a better shooting pistol. I git better results when i load my own ammo. and use a scope.

7. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Expecting to much? Well, I expect ALL my guns to be accurate, reliable, have a smooth, crisp & relatively light tirgger and be fun to shoot.
    Maybe I'm just not a 1911 kinda shooter :( I'm hoping I just haven't found the right one yet :insane:

8. Cyclops, By "not right", do you mean it's not reliable or accurate enough? Or does it not have enough of the "bells and whistles" that you would like? Any 1911 shouldn't need $1000 worth of work to make it reliable and accurate enough for 90 + percent of the shooters out there, but if you're looking for all the accessories that are so commonly added to 1911's, you really are better off buying one so equipped from the mfr. strictly from a monetary standpoint. Even so, the individual Springfield "Loaded" models and the Kimbers may need some fine tuning occasionally to suit the individual owner.

9. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

If you felt these guns didn't meet your expectations, why do you want to consider them? It sounds like you really want the custom gun and are looking for our blessing. I have an Auto-Ordanace and love it, others love thier Sig or Glock or whatever model. Just go get the custom job and shoot it untill the next "bug" bites.