Finn Issue (as well as others)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Paper, May 14, 2008.

1. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I wandered to my local range tonight with a 5 military gun batch of rifles.
    I took 4 which I hadn't fired since purchasing (VKT Fin Nagant, H&R M1 Garand, 1942 Husky Swede M38 Mauser, CMMG AR15), and one that I had (SC 1903A3), but wanted to shoot again..

All fired flawlessly, except for the fact that the Finn, 03A3, and AR15 all shot at the top of the paper at 50 yards when aimed at center.

The Garand was easy to bring into the correct point of aim, and the Swede dropped them dead center from the get-go..

I "think" I can raise the AR's front sight to get it where I need it, but the Finn and the 03A3 both shoot high at 100 yards. The 03A3 rear sight bottoms out at 200 yards, so I'm pretty sure I'll just need to get used to it, and the Finn's rear bottoms out at 150 yards..

Short of major work, can anything be done to the Finn to get it to shoot at the correct point of aim? The reason I ask is that my Russians have all fired right where I want them at 100 yards, and I was hoping that the VKT would follow suit..

On the other hand, the Finn has a trigger that I wish all my other Mosins could be half as good..

2. All I can say is adjust your aiming point for the sights. I can shoot a 3" group with most touching at 50 yards. Same at 100 yards, although it doesn't really take much readjusting of the aiming point. At 300 yards (of course) the VKT is dead on, and just impresses the hell out of everybody that shoots her...

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Contact Layne @ www.tngunparts.com , he sells taller sight inserts that can be filed down to adjust your POI.

4. Paper

Gotcha.. I guess I better take my "no name" out and shoot it to see if I need 2 of em'..

I'm not against Geo's recommendation by any means, but I like to have them all toss them in the right spot at 100 yards and adjust from there.:09:

5. It's more being lazy and cheap on my part.:09: I just don't want to add a scope to my M39.:bigeyes:

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Paper,

Check that 03 again. My 03 has a notch below the 200 yard mark that is the 100 yard zero mark. Mine was made in 43. There are no numbers by the mark just the mark itself.

7. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

just get a piece of number 12 wire black and take the insulation off of it and slip it over the front post and trim it to poa= poi it will be easy to remove if you ever want to change it:09:

8. texnmidwest

Good idea there Marion! You are smarter than you look!:09::09::09::09::09:

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I sure hope he is, ROFL!!!! He's just 'membering an old post. When I read it, I tried it just for the heck of it. It works well, just as shrink tube does. See, I just love this place, so many pairs of eyes (and Moose with his one) admiring the same rifle, someone's always has an idea!

10. texnmidwest

And Sometimes they actually work!:09:

11. Paper

I guess my problem is that I have a front blade on my Finn, not a post like the Russian Mosins have.. I can't see how the insulation would work on a blade, as you can't slide it over..

12. SwedeSteve

Oooops! Forgot about that, didn't I! Guess you'll have to go with a taller blade.

13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Finnish Mosins are sighted for 150 to 200 Meters from the Arsenal !!!
    Rich

14. Kismet

Kismet G&G Newbie

Uh...you know that rubber/latex canned tool handle goop in a can? Comes in all sorts of colors? Dip it and dry stuff?

Could you layer a few coats of that on top of the blade to bring it up? Although, cleaning solvents might break the bond.

Solder might not hold and could be too soft, JB Weld is too permanent, lemme see...got any industrial adhesive?

Gotta be something.

Life is easier when you're only shooting one gun. :)

15. Paper

I went to Kismet's house and wasted my time shooting a deer, when my real target was across the table from me, drinking coffee..:hitwithrock:

16. SwedeSteve

17. Paper

Yes he is..:)

18. texnmidwest

Ya, can dress 'em up, but they just won't learn...:09:

19. Oh My GOSH!!! Paper shot Kismet and dressed him out????

20. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

Tex
    i forgot more than you know hehe:hitwithrock::hitwithrock:

Duh Bad paper!!!:hitwithrock::hitwithrock:

you can use JB weld ,or any good plastic weld ( my recomendation) simply turn rifle upside down and dip front site into it and let it drip and dry it can then be filed and touched up with black paint or black fingernail polish.. as it ys it should drip a bit to give you more
    lenth on front site

Last edited: May 15, 2008