First AK?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by winchester, Oct 12, 2002.

1. winchester

winchester G&G Newbie

A friend of a friend has an AK he's willing to sell me - but I know nothing about them. I trust my friend, and know he wouldn't have even told me about it if he at all thought that his friend was untrustworthy.

I haven't seen the AK-47 yet, and want to be able to decide on the spot if it's something I should buy. All I know about it is that it's Chinese, it's Pre-ban, and it's in excellent condition. Comes with 5 round & 10 round mags, bipod, and a descent scope. The guy is asking $400 for it.

My questions:

1) I know there are different Chinese manufacturers. Is this a good deal for any of them, or just one or two?
    2) What is meant by Pre-ban? Would it being Pre-ban affect it's value?
    3) What should I look for to determine it's value, and are there any problems that are easy to spot?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2002
  2. KengsAKS

KengsAKS Guest

All AK's of Chinese manufacture are high quality weather it be a Norinco or a Poly-tech. As for the Preban status, it means weather the gun was manufactured and imported before the ban on assault rifles. 400 bucks is a good deal on a preban chinese AK considering if it really is a preban. Any chinese ak stamped Mac-90, Mak-91, Nhm-91 or has an SP or sporter stamped on the receiver is a postban weapon. Try to get some more info on the gun if you can, even if its a post ban gun its still a fair price. Also most preban ak's in good condition can bring in a price around 1000$ bucks.

3. Cranky-Kraut

Cranky-Kraut Guest

Sounds like Kengs knows his stuff. I have a Romanian from 1999 and for my money they are the way to go. Stll available for under $300, new in the box.

Whatever you decide...good luck and enjoy!

4. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Guest

Amen Cranky,

I love my Romanian AK. It maybe be cheaper in price but to me the chinese AK's feel like they are going to come apart in my hands. The chinese did good on the SKS, just messed up the AK in my opinion :(

5. winchester

winchester G&G Newbie

Kengs, turns out it has NHM-91 stamped on the receiver, making it post-ban. Also has "BY NORINCO MADE IN CHINA."
    All of this I understand. It is also stamped "CSI ONT CA."
    Is CSI the name of an importer in Ontario, Canada, or Ontario, California?

Serial # is 93 08XXX. Does this mean it was made in 93?

It has a hell of a nice scope on it, although I don't particularly care for the way the B-Square scope mount is attached. It's held in place by the stock. Seems like this would move around alot.

Speaking of the stock, it's a nice wooden "Druganov" stock, that looks old enough to be original, but I'm not an expert.

What led the seller to think it was pre-ban was the fact that there's threading on the end of the barrel, for a flash hider or something. The threads are hidden by a small ring - don't think it has any purpose other than to preserve the threads.

Inside the receiver and bore look great - it hasn't been fired much.

I went ahead and bought it for $400. Did I get a good deal?

Attached Files:

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Heck yeah!:right:

7. KengsAKS

KengsAKS Guest

Thats a very nice looking NHM-91, and yes you did get a good deal. I've actually been looking for one myself, being they have the 20" barrel and bipods they are quite accurate guns. Chances are the number 93 on the receiver problalby was the date of manufacture but you can never really be sure. Chinese AK's are great guns, i have 3 myself and never had any problems with any of them. I'm sure you will have plenty of years of trouble free shooting.. Congrads

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

That looks like a very good specimen. That particular model is certainly worth $400, and the accessories make it an even better deal. What kind of scope is that? The siderail mount is definitely the right one to use.

9. Cranky-Kraut

Cranky-Kraut Guest

Looks like a nice gun and definately a steal at $400 even if it doesn't turn out to be quite what he said it was.

10. winchester

winchester G&G Newbie

G3, Scope is Leapers "rubber armorized" 3-9x40.

The stock isn't as pretty as it looks in the picture. Lots of nicks and scratches, and the pistol grip area is worn. Would it lower the value significantly if I refinished it? Since it's a post-ban, I have to keep a thumbhole stock on it, right?

11. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I don't see how refinishing would diminish the value if it was done right. Yes you must keep a thumbhole stock, but you can replace it with another one of your choice. Choate makes a good one. ATI makes one too, but I don't like the feel of it.

12. Looks like mine. I refinished the stock. It looks much better now. My scope mount is attached to the receiver with four screws. You have to drill four holes to attach it. I don't remember what brand.

13. I beleive if you put enough american parts in it then you can put a pistol grip stock on it.

14. guffster

guffster Guest

That looks like a good buy to me!

15. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I've the choate in my maadi and it works great and looks better than the thumbhole.
    Enjoy!!!!!

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: