Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need help. I am about to purchase my first AR. I am going to carry this gun on duty with me. I was looking at the M4 models. I need to know your opinions on these guns. I know that Bushmaster has been around longer and has a better rep, but that aside I need to know what the difference is if there is any beside the barrel. I dont want any opinions on RRA or Olympic Arms. I just want to know about DPMS and Bushmaster.

Anything will help

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Well..... if I HAD to pick between the two I'd take the Bushmaster. However, my first choice would be to build my own and get exactly what I want. I'd start with a good Stag, Mega, or Superior Arms lower(something thats under $100 and forged). My favorite lower parts kit is RRA, much better then Bushmaster IMO. I'd then stick a Stag 6-position stock on it(Stag uses a mil-spec tube that will allow you to use other stocks down the road) and a Magpul MIAD grip and winter trigger guard on it. I'd then pick up a M16 bolt carrier group from LMT(I think, maybe it's CMT cant remember off hand). Finish it off with a Del-Ton M4 upper and sight of your choice. I realize I answered your question a ways back, but it's still fun to configure an AR :nod: .

·
Registered
492 Posts
Bushmaster will cost more, but the difference in quality is worth it. Right off the bat, Bushmaster will be more reliable. I figure you're spending $900 anyway (The MSRP is never the REAL price in retail/gunshops unless your buying from overpriced dealers.), I would take a USED Bushmaster over a new DPMS anyday. My dad's got a colt HBAR upper and a Bushmaster lower, and it's never failed him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a bushmaster BAR .308 and a friend of mine has a DPMS, they are very dependable, bushmaster will run you around $300 more than a DPMS and if I had to do it all over again I would go for the DPMS (I also own a RRA LAR-15 and an Armalite AR10A2) I like the RRA as much as the armalite and I paid $1400 for the armalite. the RRA (.223) was only $750 great quality and worth it. sometimes you get what you pay for but it aint always true when it comes to this type of weapon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I forgot to add that the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (highway patrol) recently tested several brands of these rifles and they chose Bushmaster to outfit their troopers. and they gave them some hellacious tests I believe you can read about it on bushasters website.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a bushmaster BAR .308 and a friend of mine has a DPMS, they are very dependable, bushmaster will run you around $300 more than a DPMS and if I had to do it all over again I would go for the DPMS (I also own a RRA LAR-15 and an Armalite AR10A2) I like the RRA as much as the armalite and I paid $1400 for the armalite. the RRA (.223) was only $750 great quality and worth it. sometimes you get what you pay for but it aint always true when it comes to this type of weapon.
Where did you find an RRA for $750? Was it new when you bought it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts