Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I just got back from North Dakota, hunting deer, pheasants and coyotes. I've only hunted hogs and dove before this.
I got a Dandy of a Muley Buck, My first deer ever, first deer hunt, taken with a used 1950's era Springfield 30-06 with a locked up weatherby scope that my friends just got me a month ago for my birthday.

Shot was 260yrds out (verified by my father-in-laws range finder).

My brother told me I should just quit hunting now!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Looks like it might be a 10 pointer to me???

BTW, Race 1, welcome to Gunandgame.com.
Nice first post, too.

Ox

·
Registered
949 Posts
That is a fine 4 point. Did you like shooting those phesants? One of my favorite things was hunting phesants.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Idaho Dave...I thought you counted every point on both sides. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Will you fellers explain eastern and western count so some dont wonder why one calls it a 4pointer and another thinks it's a 10pointer? sam.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Idaho Dave...I thought you counted every point on both sides. Am I wrong?
Well out west on mule deer, elk etc we count only the points on one side hence a 4x4 is a four point. if it has an uneven amount of points we say it is a 4x5 or what ever. All the white tail deer hunters I have ever talked to count the entire rack and that is the number so a four point becomes an 8 point. as for the little brow tines and cheaters we go by the rule that they have to be longer then they are around in order to be counted. Any way that is just us.

Is that "Western" or "Eastern" count?
Points on a deer, by acceptable standards, are the tines coming off the beams of an antler. A 5 point Western is in reality a 10 pointer. For some stupid reason, the Western count only counts one side of the antler and when they match in number, that number is used; i.e. four points per side would be a 4 pointer. What makes that system even dumber, however, is when there's an odd point on one side then they have to add "by" in the equation; i.e. a 4 by 5 would be a standard 9 pointer back East. To top that off, on mule deer, the Western count is nearly always used, HOWEVER, if the mule deer has eye guards or brow tines, they don't count at all. You'll hear "a 6 x 5 with eyeguards" for what Easterners would say is a 13 pointer. Confusing enough?

Several units in our and ajoining states have point limits where you can only shoot 3 point or better. The F&G wouldnt take to kindly to you taking them a 2 point and saying it was a 4 point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Race 1 Very Nice Mule Deer !!! Congradulation and takeing the Buck with a Sprinfgield was cool too.
Welcome to Gun and Game feller thanks for sharing the pictures with us...A.H

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,205 Posts
I should have elaborated on the western head gear. Took it for granted after living in AZ for 7 years. Back then in AZ, we could not shoot does either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beauty! Nice 4 point.

Well, are ya hooked ? LOL

Welcome.
Yes, absolutely! We were headed out to make a coyote stand when we saw him in the morning following a doe (in Rutt), we had to go back to the farm to get my tag. When we went back to see him, he was gone, so we kept driving. Well there he was over the next hill.

I got so excited, Uncle Eddie was too cause he was trying to pull over right there! We had to practically yell at him to keep driving!
We drove down about 400 yrds or so, when my pa-in-law and I jumped out of the truck.
We jumped the fence and into a deep ravine (about 8' deep) and walked 140 yrds.
I unfolded the bi-pod, climbed up the embankment, put the gun on the ground and leaned into the bank, sighted and shot in less than a minute. He was looking right in our direction. That bullet flew right in front of the does face by inches.

I shot him a little low and left. The bullet busted his elbow joint than went into the vitals. He took one jump over the section line fence and landed on his back where he thrashed around for a good 30 seconds, never did get back up!

We drove over to him, approached from behind, gave him a nudge and surely he was dead as a doornail. the best part was that he fell right into the section line road, so we didn't even have to drag him out of the field, or in my case open a damn gate to get the truck in there. ( I was the gate bitch all week long! ) You see being 6'4" does have its disadvantages as I was always in the front passenger seat LOL.

That is a fine 4 point. Did you like shooting those phesants? One of my favorite things was hunting phesants.
The pheasants were fun, my first time for those too, I grew up with shooting dove with my dad, and that is like a scene from world war II taking waves of them out of the air as they would fly down the alley ways.

Unfortunately, I lost three birds and my wife lost the two that she shot. We looked for hers for a good hour and ended up walking back to the truck in the dark and empty handed! I need a hunting dog!

Idaho Dave, I can tell you that those brow tines are longer than their diameter. So maybe I could call it a five pointer? He weighed between 220 to 240 lbs, after i gutted, skinned, quartered and dressed him, we had a 120lbs of meat and bones.

That same night, I got a coyote at 275yrds. Now that was exciting! He was on the run and I was trying to scope him, when my pa-in-law started howling and barking at him, when he stopped right in my cross hairs. All I had to do was aim up a little. took the shot fast. She dropped so fast and hard we didn't even know I hit her until we got to where we thought she was.

Probably the best week of hunting I have ever had in my life! My Dad passed away recently and this was just such an awesome experience that brought back a flood of memories of hunting with him. As gross as it sounds, gutting the deer almost made me cry, it reminded me of goiong to slaughter lambs with him. My Dad would be proud of me!! God Rest His Soul!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts