Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm just getting into rifles and I just bought a Ruger 10/22. Thats fun for plinking and target practice but I live in Wisconsin and the two main game hunted in my area are black bear and whitetail deer (and I love eating both). I plan on going hunting next season. If I'm lucky I can save up some money and get gift cards for Christmas and my birthday in January. So I'm thinking about the Remington SPS Stainless/Synthetic or the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless/Synthetic in .308 or .30-06.

My reasons for the Ruger are:
-Scope rings mount directly to the reciever and are included with purchase.
-Heard they have great customer service and I'm a previous owner.
-Like the guns looks
-New Trigger (seems to be better than before)
-American made

My reasons for the Remington are:
-Great reputation
-Some sniper rifles are modeled after the 700 series
-Always wanted to try a Remington
-American made and company has been around for a very long time 1816, I believe

My dilemma is I am leaning toward the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in a .308 caliber. Although I like the Remington just as much but with scope rings included and not needing to buy and scope mount can save me a few bucks. I hear Ruger barrels don't shoot very tight groups and can be inconsistent. This is related to sniper rifles. Just wondering how a rifle can be bad for sniping but good for hunting. Seems to me like you would need great accuracy for both. I choose the .308 because it seems to be a good round for deer and black bear (also heard it can be used for elk with the right grain bullet) the .30-06 is my fail safe if i can't find it in that caliber. Have any of you fired the Ruger M77 Hawkeye or Remington SPS and what are you thoughts on these guns and what are your thoughts on the calibers, for those applications? Should I go with a .30-06? ArkcansasHunter I've notice you mentioned the Ruger M77 Hawkeye a couple of times if you read this what are you experiences with it? A lot of you seem to have military experience and are big hunters so I know I can trust your responses. Thanks in advance! HandsomeRob

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
St. Croix County (western, WI) and you both recommend the .30-06 hows the recoil compared to the .308?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Go with the model that fits you better. As for 308 or 30-06, I don't think it matters a whole lot. If you want a short action, go for the 308. Either will kill deer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have taken numerous black bears , Elk , Deer And Moose with My 308.
Only thing is shot placement.
Either the Rem. 700 or the ruger M77 hawkeye are good guns. If you want a good shooter at a good price look at the savage. They have always been acurate right out of the box.
Make sure the rings match the tube size of you're scope.

It is not the berrals on ruger that are inconsistant but there stalks , Two words (glass bed) As the bed is sometimes snug so when the berral heats up it changes the muzle lash from the cold shot to each following shot.

No rifle over the counter is a sniper grade including the 700sps.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you are using factory ammo you wont notice any difference in them except the .308 is a little lighter in recoil.If you reload you can get more out of a .30-06 if you are using a 24"or26" barrel due to the extra powder capacity allowing you to use slower burning powders and getting more fps at lower pressures. If you are using a 22" or shorter in -06 then you have to use faster burning powders and higher pressures to get fps which causes accuracy problems. With 22"and under bbl,s the .308win can use faster burn rate powders and match factory load -06 ammo.Also the action on any rifle usually benefits by glass bedding but if the barrel channel is properly freefloated it will not affect poi.What happens is the action area if loose can allow the action to flex changing the sight to bullet path.When glass bedded the action is stiffened keeping the sight path consistent.All barrels change harmonic ballance as they warm up.Fluted and heavy barrels do not heat as fast so they do not change poi as fast.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
i have used and hunted with both the 308 and 30-06, i find the 308 to be a little more pleasant to shoot, but then i started shooting a 270 win. a few years back and never looked back. the 308 tends to be a very accurate round with most loads

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
As far as Ruger vs Remington goes, both rifles that you mentioned will perform great for you. I'd go on what you want most, since that will bring more satisfaction and result in a more confident shooter.

As for the caliber; Both will take everything in Wisconsin with ease. As a new hunter, I'd recommend buying a .308 and using factory ammo with 150-grain bullets. The recoil will be quite a bit lighter than the 30-06 (I own both, and you definitely notice the difference). The ballistics between the two are nearly identical, with the 30-06 having a slight edge in killing range, but you probably aren't hunting at 600 yards.

As for "knockdown" power between the two, the deer and bear won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
HA HA HA My choice would be the RUGER because I bought the one YOU want !!!!
I paid $ 541.00 not including tax $ 601.xx with tax ouch !!! for my Ruger Hawkeye in 308 SYN/Stainless New.
I took it out last week and sighted in the Burris Fulfield scope I mounted on it.
I should of had it bore sighted because I shot about a box of ammo sighting it in.
It took me from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM because After every 3 shot group I let the barrel cool completely, I went off walking and looking for Deer signs while it cooled.
My New Haweye is shooting 1 inch high at 100 yards. 3 shot bullet groups are overlapping bullet holes !!! The reason I left it 1 inch high at 100 yards is I got tired of messing with it and I also had my Marlin 375 with me sighting it in too.
My Ruger likes the cheap ammo which was Remington pointed 150 gr. core loks.
The high dollar Winchester 165 gr. Ballistic tip ammo shot 2 to 2.5 inch groups.
The Winchester cheaper like the core loks grouped the same as the Supremes.
I've always had great success with cor loks and was glad it liked them.

Now heres the shocker I'm a lever action fan !!!!! I should of left the Marlin at home !
Before I bought the Ruger I really wanted a Browning BLR in .358 win
I honestly love my new Ruger though it is a very nice rifle and an improvement over ther previous boltaction.
You mentioned the trigger and the scope rings, it also has a steel magazing floor plate with the Ruger Logo, not to mention the Mauser action claw extractor and Rugers own new hammer forged barrel.

Feller it's what ever you want though a Ruger or a Remington you can't go wrong with either....Dare to be different and swing for the Ruger. I highly recomend the Ruger.
My step father has the blued Remington you want in 270 and he wishes he never bought it because it groups about 4 inches at 100 yards when he, my brother and I shoot it...A.H

EDIT : I noticed the 308 hardly kicks and a 30-06 does because I have a Remton 742 06 It sounds like an artillary piece when you shoot a 30-06 in the woods. It is LOUD !!!
The 308 is a little softer on the ears and shoulder and more accurant.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful! I'm gonna go with the Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 like I wanted but all of your posts have been very informative. I was looking for less recoil I'm 'bout 5'10" at 190lbs. Like A.H. said .30-06 the sound like an artillery gun (I have notice/felt this too at the range, felt like fireworks going off). I have kind of a hearing problem from birth, so I need to be nice to my ears as much as possible. One last question, do you wear ear plugs or some kind of protection when you shoot in the field? I do at the range but I'm wondering when your actually out in the woods hunting. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, in response to Bravo and Lng Rng, I've notice that the Ruger sat more comfortably in my shoulder than the Remington. Good thing you brought that up.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I religiously wear foam ear plugs when I target shoot my guns, mow my yard and weed eat !!!
I've suffered enough hearing loss.
But I do not wear them squirrel or deer hunting and I don't shoot unless I have to.
By the way the 30-06 causes me to loose hearing but returns after a while when I don't use to wear hearing protection.
I shot my ruger 308 Monday with out ear plugs 4 times and I was amazed it didn't have the mega blast as my 30-06. It's loud enough to cause serous damage but I did'nt have my hearing go muzzled nor did people sound like they inhailed helium as it would of been if I had shoot the 30-06. The marlin 375 is louder than the 308. too.
I think you made a fine choice you'll love the cool looking mauser action and remember it's a short action...A.H

·
Registered
412 Posts
HandsomeRob,
If you want to protect you're hearing while shooting in the field, look into the Pro Ears line of hearing protection. I have one, and don't hunt without them anymore. It amplifies all the normal sounds that you listen for while hunting, but muffles anything over a set amount of decibles, like a gunshot. They work great, but when the first grouse jumps out of the brush and starts flapping it's wings, it will sound like a herd of elk coming through! LOL. Just takes some getting used to, but once you do it's a whole different experience. You'll pick up on a lot of sounds you would of normally missed.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I always wear ear protection when mowing the lawn and while at the range (just the foam inserts, they work great). When I'm hunting, I don't wear ear protection, because I need to hear what is going on around me. I guess the Pro Ears that rckymtnboy mentioned would do the trick, but I'm not much of an ear muffs fan.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Haven't tried 'em, but I saw some electronic ear plugs in Walmart last week for about $29.00 that do the same thing as the muffs: amplify low noises, and block the high ones. They're adjustable for size by using one of three different-sized ear inserts, and come with four weird little batteries (two are spares, I think...).

It's possible you're going to get what you pay for, but I'm planning to try a set next time I go out shooting

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sounds good troy keep us posted on that.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Troy I've seen the type you described in catalogs and I buy my foam ear plugs at WalMart. I haven't seen the type you posted.
For less than $ 30.00 I'll buy some but I'll probably have to have them order them ,my WalMart may not stock them.
If you buy some please let us know if there worth a hoot. Thanks...A.H

1 - 20 of 21 Posts