Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my first deer today, only a little dinker (4x4). Hardly recordbook stuff but the antlers looked much bigger at 380 meters!!
That was the longest range I ever shot a animal at, in the Bushveld were I did most of my antelope hunting the longest shot I ever took was 180 yards and usually less than 100yards.
This time I stuck a 180gr accubond up hiss !!!-hole and he dropped, but tried to get up again so I ran of a couple of yards to my right and put one behind the shoulder at an angle and into the boiler room.
Tomorrow I gotta take my brother to get his deer so I'll be pushing bush all day long :-(

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey congrats Johan. Great shot too, thats a respectable distance indeed. What caliber where you using, sounds like -06 with 180gr Accubonds?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Excellent shot and congratulations! :right: What scope setting did you use? How far did you have to drag the carcass ...or did you have a 4-wheeler or something to haul him back to camp?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
Well shoot a 30-06 with 180gr accubonds and use 47gr Varget propelant.
Ox I Used the 9 power setting on my scope that helped alot dont think I could hit the broad side of a barn at 360 with less magnification lol!
Well he went down in a wheatfield and I could drive up to him and load him.
But I know what it feels like to drag an animal. Once had to drag a Kudu I shot down a "Koppie" (little mountain)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Ok...thanks for the additional information. I like to hear all the "dirty details." Where I hunt a 3X is all that is needed...and is even sometimes too much magnification because it becomes difficult to find the focal point (deer) among all the other details shown in the lenses. I've never tried the 9X even though my scope is a 3x9x40. It's always kept on the 3X.

Again, congrats on an excellent long distance shot. And...the 4x4 buck is something to be proud of, too! :right: Will that buck convert into summer sausage, jerky and steaks...or something else?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Jerry...did the deer move onya? Or was it the rifle that moved on the deer? Or neither?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,174 Posts
I hunt from a ground blind, tent type with all the windows. There is a top window. I'm 6'1", I like to stand up now and then. I think, ok, I'll just open the top window and stick my head out. Did it nice and slow, no jerky movements. Well, I see this buck about 75 yards away, I actually heard him grunt twice first.

I ease down nice and slow, grab my gun, look out the side window & POOF buck gone. Just like he vanished in thin air. Spent the next hour glassing the spot to try to see if he laid down. Didn't see a thing.

There's allways tomorrow :)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
From my deer stand I've found that they seem to almost magically appear out of nowhere. They're so stealth (most times), and their hair color blends in so well with the surroundings, that when I blink or look away even momentarily the deer seem to appear right before my eyes. I oftentimes don't even see them come out from their cover. Then the big question is "Does it have four points or more that are at least 3" on one side?" Then, before I can get that established sometimes the buck disappears into the camoflauge of brush again. :nod: Thank God for their white tails which oftentimes is the first thing I see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts