First Mosin Pics

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Muddog, May 8, 2008.

1. Muddog

Muddog Guest

These are pics of my first Mosin, a 1948 M44. I got her today, and 2 hours, 2 cans of brake cleaner and maybe 100 q-tips later she is shiny, clean, and ready to bruise shoulders. 1 question though, I,ve ran the bolt and it veels very loose, like it isn't catching when I close the bolt. I havn't tried loading any ammunition yet because I havn't been to the range, I suppose I'll worry about it then. BTW the bayonet is sweet, it reminds me of cooking hot dogs over a campfire

Attached Files:

2. Another happy M44 owner. Depending on ammo it will kick the crap outa ya.

3. You got yourself a very nice looking piece of history there muddog. I surely hope the bolt thing you mention is nothing? I'm totally Mosin-illiterate. lol I mean, it may very well be the norm? But she did clean up really nice and looks great. Congrats. Be sure and let us know how she shoots. And obviously, if the bolt thing turns out to be a problem, post it as one of the many Mosin-aniacs will be able to help you with it...

4. Muddog

Muddog Guest

I hope its nothing my gunsmithing in-ability won't be able to fix. As far as ammo, 203 gr. Silver Bear SP ought to keep me in layers of flannel and carhart parkas in 70 deg. weather:)

5. F1609

F1609 Guest

don't be afraid of us mosin-aniacs here it's just another syndrom of the dreaded mosinitis!

o ya, might wanna get some padding....from what i heard them 44's are a beast on the shoulder.

p.s. how's that 30rnd running through the sks? and nice .45 down there too.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. Nice Muddog. Just wait till you go BOOOOM with that baby. And dont forget M44's are only happy if they have a 91/30 nearby.

7. F1609

F1609 Guest

than with that 91/30 it might have to be made happy too, maybe a M39.... or another 91/30....or another M44......or M91.....or......or.....or....or......or......or.....or.......or......or....or.....or....... ya well keep yourself away from the C&R, i'll be getting mine soon :)

8. SanDiegoRedneck

SanDiegoRedneck G&G Newbie

Nice rifle. After I got my M44 home my bolt was doing the same thing as yours. I discovered that the ejector was broken. Hopefully yours in not but chamber a round and see if it will eject.

9. Muddog

Muddog Guest

Thanks for the heads up San Diego, will wait till Sunday for that, something about loading a 50 year old rifle for the first time in the middle of a city to check it for problems...I know what ya mean though, will check that first.

F1609 yep thats my toy room. Girlfriend can have the rest of my house but this room is ALL MINE. 30 rd. does perfect in half my SKS's (1) the other stays in the closet for other reasons. I can already picture a 91/30, squirrel hunting with a spear anyone?

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Congrats on the new rifle!

11. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

you stated it didnt feel like it was catching, i wouldn't load a live round until ur for sure the cocking piece is actually catching the sear, if not, then when u lock down the bolt, it'll fire automatically without touching trigger....then u got a nice sized hole in wall. :(

12. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Muddog, if I were you I'd get a heavy-duty lace-on recoil pad. SwedeSteve sold me a spare one he had and I swear by it. It reduces the felt recoil of my 91/30 down to the felt recoil of my Yugo SKS, which my bad shoulder can hande just fine. They turn up on Gunbroker.com and ebay fairly regularly. One that will fit a 12 gauge will work just fine on a M-N.

13. Muddog

Muddog Guest

Well I took her out today. It was early afternoon, not a cloud in the sky and my sister's boyfriend said he still saw a 2 foot flame. No problems with 203 gr. barnul soft points, I got a little bit nervous when it shot through a 7" tree. She sounded lonely though, like she misses her family...

14. Did you sign in on the thread, Mosin Roll-Call?
    Nice Rifle.

15. Muddog I just looked at your pictures and your Mosin looks NEW you did a great job cleaning it up and it appears you've got a very nice one.

Now since you have the Mosinitis disease what Mosin are you going to buy next ?
    You did good...A.H

16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

17. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

I looked at your pics and its a fine looking rifle.. When you lock the bolt down and shake the rifle or tap the butt on the floor if the bolt stays clossed its probably ok. but it shouldnt move at all when locked down. mosin nagant bolts are suppose to be a little loose.. when th 203 ammo is great but I found that the 149 grain lite ball dont beat the crap outta me so bad LOL:)

18. Muddog

Muddog Guest

The bolt wasn't a problem at all, it wouldn't shake open and it was a lot stiffer ejecting empties. I was happy, and a limbsaver did wonders.
    Anything with that 2-story chimney-sweeper everyone is calling a bayonet.

19. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

whats the revolver down on the shelf behind the .45?

20. Muddog

Muddog Guest

Ruger Blackhawk in .357. I have the 9mm cylinder that goes with it somewhere, but I can't get 2 shots out of the six on a piece of paper.