Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, for my first post on the forum [apart from the introduction] I would like some advice on which rifle to buy.
This is not my first one so am not looking for newbie advice but more on respective brands and dare I ask caliber choice.
I would like a nice wood/Blue centerfire in 308 or perhaps 7mm-08.
The brands I have narrowed it down to are,
Browning Abolt medallion,
Remington CDL,
Ruger Hawkeye,
Savage Classic model 14 American,
CZ 550 American.
A lot of choice I know but heck it's hard to choose,The savage is not available over here yet, but is due shortly so is the only one I have yet to see, the cz is quite heavy and the remington is only available in 7mm-08 [of my choices]
This is not going to be a regular hunting rifle but more of a range rifle and a take it out of the cabinet ,admire and put back rifle so accuracy, rather than practicality is paramont.
Please take as read that I would not buy the one that doesn't fit, in this case it's looks and accuracy I'm after.
Bearing all this in mind what would be your choices folks, and of course ,why.
thanks Owen.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
ojjr I ordered a Ruger Hawkeye BLK matte syn/stainless Monday in 308
Suppose to come in Thurs or fri. If it's not to late I'll let you how she doe's...A.H

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well, all the guns you listed are good for hunting. I would just go to a gun store and play around with them, see which one fits the best, then decide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ojjr I ordered a Ruger Hawkeye BLK matte syn/stainless Monday in 308
Suppose to come in Thurs or fri. If it's not to late I'll let you how she doe's...A.H
Cheers Arkansas, that would be great and no it won't be to late.

I would take the Savage because of its inherent accuracy, price and quality.
I must admit to leaning that way for those reasons Doctor Larry, but it's the only one I haven't actually seen yet as they are not over here in New Zealand for another 2-4mths.

Remington, just because you can make it into a super ub3r pwnz0r space gun.
I do like the Reminton CDL. just handled one last tuesday, but I'm wondering if the 7mm-08 is as an inherently accurate cartridge as the 308.

Well, all the guns you listed are good for hunting. I would just go to a gun store and play around with them, see which one fits the best, then decide.
Good advice Lng Rng, but the only problem with that is ,although all of these rifles are avaible [except for the savage] at the moment, New zealand being so small and the gunshops deal with only one or two importers at a time : eg can get all but usually only have 2,3,4 brands on there shelves at any given time it's hard to get them all together.
Our local GS also doubles as the fishing and general sports shop so I have to travel to look at even a Remington as it only carries in stock the very basic line of any given brand.

I was basiclly looking for opinions, even biases on different brands such as bigandrich, Dk Larry and Arkansas.
thanks all.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The 7mm-08 should be just as accurate as the 308, they share the same case, just necked to accept smaller bullets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 7mm-08 is a very accurate cartridge
Ay, I used to have a Browning S/Stalker in 7mm-08 and ran 120gr hornady sp in her .It was very accurate with this load, but I was always under the impression that the 308 had the edge over most others, All depends on what your rifle likes and how you load it I 'spose.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I own a Savage 10FP (same basic build, only heavy barrel, and synthetic stock). The Mighty Savage Compels You!

Either caliber would suffice, I like .308

Browning A-bolt - Browning is a very good gun, has many desirable extras - 60 degree bolt throw, and it's a Browning.
Remington CDL - Remington can be expensive.
Ruger Hawkeye - Bulky, built extremely tough, the old M77MK2's had bad triggers, but these new Hawkeye's look like the trigger has had some work.
Savage Classic Model 14 American - Savage is tough, accurate, and inexpensive. I have yet to have had a single problem with my 10FP. My dad works at our County Jail, and all the SWAT Snipers have commented that they love Savages. We were out on a windy day, and out of the box, I was shooting 1" groups at 100yds.
CZ 550 American - Haven't heard much about CZ's accuracy, or reliability, but its a CZ, its got the reputation.

One MAJOR idiotic thing people do, is buy a rifle that will last forever, then go buy a Bushnell P.O.S. scope. You should be spending at least 3/4 the price of the gun on glass. I know it sounds ridiculous , but why buy a gun that can shoot through the same hole, and buy a scope, that won't. Mounts are important too.

You probably already know this, but I'm sick of seeing people scrimping on their optics, and wondering why they can't hit spit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your dead right about the glass thing Utah, waste of time buying a nice keeper, and putting bad [readcheap and nasty ] glass on her.

Thanks Ruger22com, I'm going to wait till the savages arrive in the country so I can at least say I've seen all my choices before I buy.

Arkansas, have you bought the Hawkeye yet... Any reports.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
utah varminter, what kind of glass do you have on yours?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts