First poster on the LE forum

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Wiley455, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

"there's only one rule on the velt, rule 303". Breaker Morant.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2002
  2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Lucky WIlley, a lot of people will agree with that statment, as the stories I am told, they are really off the charts for accuracy.

3. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

Ya Chris, I've turned a few heads and had a few eyebrows raised at the range with a couple ole SMLE's I have. Lots of guys spit on the LE's but if you get a good one you have one heck of a neat rifle that you can depend on. They don't make pretty sporters, without lots of talent and work. They sure are fun to collect though. You can still put a pretty good collection of different makers and variations together without going completely broke.

4. Enfields are greatly underestimated now a days when compaired to whats currently on the market. All the better for us then!
    I love all of my ENFIELDS ,even the ones that I have'nt pur
    chased yet.:D .Heck,the Afganies were using them to snipe russians with during their little war at ranges beyond 500meters , and that was with iron sights! AWESOME ,:D

5. warren47

warren47 G&G Newbie

Enfields

Enfields are a good buy for your money. I believe you have a better chance of buying an Enfield that is a good shooter compared to the average mauser.

I have a No.4 with a 3-9 power scope and a muzzle brake. I can shoot 1 1/2"-2" groups with milsurp ammo at 100 yards. I think this is amazing since the ammo is stamped 1945.

Warren:

6. I have a No 5 Mk 1 and a No 1 Mk 3. The jungle carbine is staying like it is but I would like to put a scope on the Mk3. Did you guys get gunsmiths to tap or is there an easier way. By the way, both guns are incredible at the range, even with the iron sights. The No 5 a kicker.:p

7. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

I have only one 'sportsterized' SMLE. I had a gunsmith do the drilling and tapping. He's a friend so I got it done for nothing, but most smithys will do the job for around 50 bucks or so. On this particular rifle I had him remove the charger bridge to try and streamline the gun a bit, and mount a Weaver Side 1H mount. This offset the scope to the right just a little bit, but you get used to that. The barrel is cut back and crowned just behind where the ft. sight used to be. And I put old Fajen stocks on it. Originally the rifle was a '42 Lithgow with the parked finish, so I had it reblued and kept the stock finish just slightly dull (I personally don't like the high gloss wood finishes). Very pretty sporter SMLE.

8. warren47

warren47 G&G Newbie

Scope Mount

I had my drilled and tapped by a Gunsmith. The "No Gunsmithing Required" scope mount I bought would not stay secure. I had a Gunsmith drill and tap a screw into the charger bridge to secure it.

Got to the link below. they have a CAD Teknic scope mount that is about $70-$80. From the post I have read, It's a very easy to install scope mount that does not require the sights to be removed.

http://www.303british.com/

Warren:D

9. PeteInSA

PeteInSA G&G Newbie

There is a scope mount I saw for a No1MkIII that goes where the rear sight is. You just remove the pin from the sight and the mount fits in it's place. It then has adjustment screws to keep level it front and rear. With this set up though, you would need to use a long eye relief scope. If I can dig up the info again, I'll post it here. HTH Pete

10. PeteInSA

PeteInSA G&G Newbie

OK, I found it already. B-Square No.1/2A1 mount
    The mount uses the existing pin that holds the rear sight on and two cap screws to pressure-fit the front and rear of the mount. Sort of like this:

Where: The top of the mount is "___" The cross pin is "o" The cap screws are "|" The sight base is formed by "....----====" (to indicate a graduated slope shape) You simply remove the rear sight, insert the B-Square mount and replace the cross pin. Then, screw in the caps screws and tighten them until the base is level with the barrel and holding firmly. that's it!

11. You talk about chop-jobs, my buddy bought one that sombody took a hacksaw to the end of the barrel right behind the bayo-lug, chopped the stock, chopped the butt and put a recoil pad on. Boy what a mess...he paid $60.00 for it....That messed, brutialized, mangled rifle pulls 1 inch groups at 200 meters. YA-HO Brit Engineering!!!!