close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

first revolver

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 8mm Vigilante, May 9, 2002.

1. i've been saving my pennies, and am thinking of getting a revolver, most likely in .357 due to the.357/.38spl. interchangability, anyway, what's a good gun, new or used doesn't really matter.
    My price range is up to $450
    Also this will possibly replace my Makarov as my carry gun.
    Ok have at it!
    -Jesse

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'm partial to the Ruger, as I have the .357 Security Six, blue with 4" barrel. I paid $250 for mine. The newer SP101 is also good.
    My friend paid the same for a nice stainless Rossi .357.

3. GaryG

GaryG G&G Newbie

You cannot go wrong with a K-frame S&W. I think the ideal gun is a 4" Model 66, although for a carry gun you might like the 2.5" version. Lots of these guns are still around from the police trade-ins in the late '80s. They run from $225-$300.

Don't be too quick to give up your Makarov. Autos are a lot easier to carry concealed than revolvers. If I were you I'd keep the Makarov for carry and shoot the heck out of the revolver.

4. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Police trade in stainless S&W K or L Frame or a stainless Ruger Security Six. Go for the 4 inch barrel. You'll even have enough money left over for an outstanding holster, speedloaders or speedstrips and carriers, not to mention the outstanding Federal Hydra Shok 125 grain hollowpoints.

5. quote "My price range is up to $450."

I'd say go with a Taurus 608 8 Shot. Blued . It's what I carry CCW. Never had a problem or been dissatisfied.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I BOUGHT A BEAUTIFUL COLT TROOPER 6 INCH BLUE WITH A TRIGGER AND ACTION JOB FOR $300.00 JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND LOOK AROUND. ANY TAURUS, SMITH,COLT,RUGER WILL DO. USED YOU SAVE A FEW BUCKS FOR AMMO AND YA MIGHT LUCK OUT AND GET SOMETHING TUNED LIKE I DID!

7. DonEKing

DonEKing G&G Newbie

My vote goes for the Ruger SP101. I purchased one for $340.00 new. I have nothing but praise for the gun. It shoots beautifully!

The trigger was a little heavy so I did some work on it to lighten it to about a 9lb pull. Mine has the 2 1/4" barrell -- in stainless.