Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Ruger revolver, a used Security Six .357 magnum in stainless steel with a 4-inch barrel. I can't wait to take it to the range, but unfortunately it looks like it will be about two weeks before I get a break in my schedule, since the outdoor range I belong to closes at 5pm in the winter.

Unless I break down and pay the $15 to go to the indoor range after work.... hmmm.... decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ruger Security ??????????

About 15 years ago i took my son to a gun show in Miami. He really wanted a auto pisol but I spotted a Ruger Security (barrel length either 5 1/2 or 6 inch 357 mag. He has since gone to Tennessee and now Kentucky and has it with him.
Lately I have purchased a Taurus PT 940 40cal semi, medium frame.
The Taurus, after getting rid of some problems has turned out to be "not a bad gun". MY son and I have struck kind of a deal. An exchange of sorts. My Taurus for his Ruger (at least on a trial basis).
My problem is, he knows all about the Taurus, he was here when I bought it. Now the Ruger. It is a Ruger Security. Barrel length unknown to me right now. From memory I think it was 6", but can find no Ruger security with that barrel. Has anyone seen one, had one or heard of one.
Keep in mind, this is friendly gesturing between dad and son. I want the Ruger (maybe), he wants the Taurus semi, 40 cal.
My question, has anyone seen or heard of a Ruger Security with a 5 or 6 inch barrel.

·
Wonderment :)
33,595 Posts
Jay1958: Sir; good gun =good experiences.
follow up with $15.00 :34:'WOW' :34:shooting range.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Ruger made the Security Six in three barrel lengths. 2 3/4", 4" and 6" lengths. These fine revolvers were made from 1970 to 1985. My -06 blue book of gun values lists them in excellent condition at 300.00. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
223 Posts
i have a ruger security six stainless 6" bbl. bought it new in 1982 it's been a great gun i like the way it break's down for cleaning using only a dime to remove the grips.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You'll be passing that Ruger down to your children. They last forever and keep shooting.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
+1. I bought a 6" Ruger Security Six (stainless) 21 years ago in Kittery, Maine. It's been a favorite gun ever since. Accurate, reliable and tough as nails.

Ruger was nuts to stop making these guns in the 1990's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They stopped making them because the Security Six was proving too expensive to continue making, the result being a loss in profits.

That's the real reason the GP-100 came into being. It's not necessarily that much stronger than a Security Six, it was more cost effective to build without sacrificing quality.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1. I bought a 6" Ruger Security Six (stainless) 21 years ago in Kittery, Maine. It's been a favorite gun ever since. Accurate, reliable and tough as nails.

I love the Kittery Trading Post, great place to browse for hours.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've got the sec. six w/2.75" barrel in ss. I love it . It sets on my night stand right now. I own three Rugers but am hoping for more. I want a 40 or 45 next.

Snuffy

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first gun, Oct. 2007. Ruger Security Six. It is a fantastic shooting weapon. Hit small 8 1/2 x 11 bb gun targets from 50ft with it my first time shooting it. Beautiful. Best part of my gun......heh...sit down kids....

I paid $20 bucks. Friend didn't want a revolver.....gun, 2 speed loaders, rubber grips and wood grips, carry case and 50 rounds of .38 and .357.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i recently acquired a security six.It is blue with 23/4 barrel.i love it get excellant groups with it using winchester 130grain 38 special fmj and winchester 357 magnum 110 grain jhp.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Ruger Service Six, 4 inch in 357 mag that I bought used in the early 80s. Great gun. I have never had a problem even when I carried it for a week in the rain (bear hunt in northern Mich). Still have it and shoot quite often.

·
Wonderment :)
33,595 Posts
Security Six

Jay1958: Sir; were you able to do a range report? I'd forgot all about your new one until now.:sad2: RANGE or SHOOTING report from another NC boy.:)

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
You got/picked a good one out there Jay. Go ahead, pay the $15 bucks for the indoor range. Go ahead, shoot that flame thrower. lol

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've got one of the stainless 4" Security-Six's with the Pachmayer Presentation grips. My wife used it as her service revolver while working for Loomis Fargo. It's a great sooting piece. You got a real find. I hear they're getting scarce and more expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 4" Security Six new in 1978 and replaced the skinny original grips with a set of Pachmayer rubber grips; still on the gun today. It's been the best shooting revolver I've ever owned; strong as an ox, simple and absolutely reliable. I would never part with it and I'm sure I'm be handing down to my son someday. You've got a revolver that is going to last you for the rest of your life. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts