Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
First time post/question on AR15's. I've been taking a long look at the Bushmaster 20" barrel A3 model. I'm retired and a seldom & casual shooter. Eyesight will now dictate a fair-sized scope.
I keep going back to the Bushmaster after reading so many good posts about them. They even have a brass deflector so I wont have to hobble after the spent cases.
I would probably be more than happy if I could keep my shots in a 2" circle at 100 yards!
Sure appreciate any feedback to a newbie to the .223 and an AR.
Thanks!
Farrell

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I have an AR with non detachable handle and scope base that attaches to handle.I have a custom 26"varmint class barrel in .223 Rem..I mounted a Nikon 6 1/2+20 50mm varmint scope and use reloaded 40gr Hornady vmax at 3700fps.It groups well under 1" and is great on varmints at 300yds+.Not including the scope I have about $600 in it.I reload and it drives me nuts because it throws good casings out in the bushes,but it is seldom I miss a varmint.Its a great setup and about as cheap as a lot of bolt actions and follow up shots are so easy. samuel.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I have a Bushmaster, and while I can't say anything about the other brands due to my own lack of experience with them, Bushmaster has proven to be a great rifle for me. I have the 24" Varminter. I put a Barska 10-40x50mm IR MilDot. No, it isn't a popular brand, but it does its job, and it does it well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of AR15's. :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
The brass deflector won't keep you from chasing cases. It will just keep the cases from hitting you in the nose if you are a lefty. You have to get an add-on deflector to drop the cases at your feet. In my experience, they don't always work so well.

Bushmasters are good rifles. I considered getting one to replace the Colt (junk) rifle I had. The state champion shooters in my club all shoot Rock Rivers. I bought a Rock River, and have not regretted it.

Most important thing is to get a good barrel. Pay more for a match grade barrel. Next thing for accuracy is a good two-stage trigger. If you will shoot competition with a tight sling, a free-float tube is essential. It's cheaper to get all this stuff up front than to add it later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like hearing that " State Champion" shooters like the RRA. I ordered one about 6 weeks ago and i am expecting it soon. Im not sure i can wait much longer though.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have a Bushmaster DCMCMP competition model with heavy match barrel.
If you want good groups, don't use Standard Blackhills 55 grain reloads. My opinion. Barrel is 1-8 twist. I load my own for long range, 600 yards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for all the replies regarding my Bushmaster inquiry! The plastic and cloth brass catchers also piqued my interest, the same as the brass deflector did.

Maybe I could lay some cheap vinyl tarps down in the area I will be shooting in - if the area I need isn't that big. < Ha >

Our local Cascade Rifle & Pistol Club traded off their Garands for Rock River Match rifles. I don't need anything quite that fancy and my right eye dictates a need for a good (bold reticle) scope,

I have a BSA "Catseye" 1.5 X 4.5 with a German type post crosshair reticle. I had planned to try this one out and if it works for me, possibly going to the 3.5 - 10 power. Cataract surgery sure didn't help this guy years ago, so I live with (but) want to continue shooting right handed and tight eyed.

All replies, comments appreciated from this old retired Boeing mechanic!

Phil from Kent

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
With a 20'' A3 Bushy and a decent scope, you will be shooting under 2'' at 100 yards. Definitely go with the A3, your optic options open up so much more, and with the 20'' barrel you should have a sweet shooting, accurate rifle. Bushmaster is one of the best complete buy guns on the market and are awesome all the way around. My advice would be get as much ammo as you can and see what shoots the best, I have been on a Hornaday kick for awhile and shoot really tight groups with the stuff. Ammo ammo ammo ammo ammo

You will soon have the black rifle disease and get every bass arse after market part there is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A3 20" Bushy

With a 20'' A3 Bushy and a decent scope, you will be shooting under 2'' at 100 yards. Definitely go with the A3, your optic options open up so much more, and with the 20'' barrel you should have a sweet shooting, accurate rifle. Bushmaster is one of the best complete buy guns on the market and are awesome all the way around. My advice would be get as much ammo as you can and see what shoots the best, I have been on a Hornaday kick for awhile and shoot really tight groups with the stuff. Ammo ammo ammo ammo ammo
You will soon have the black rifle disease and get every bass arse after market part there is.
Hey thanks SKS Forever!

In reference to my original post, I keep coming back to the Bushmaster - with regular stock. I would definitely be a "happy camper" if I could get 'em in a 2 MOA!!

I think I'm finally going to get my reloding bench set-up this summer (after all these years of sidetracks). In the meantime, I fell into enough older surplus Military 55 gr to get me kick-started.

I've been doing a lot of reading about reloading the .223 lately, so i should be OK down the road a little. In the meantime, my gun club buddy will point me in the right direction should I need it.

Thanks!

Phil from Kent

The brass deflector won't keep you from chasing cases. It will just keep the cases from hitting you in the nose if you are a lefty. You have to get an add-on deflector to drop the cases at your feet. In my experience, they don't always work so well.
Bushmasters are good rifles. I considered getting one to replace the Colt (junk) rifle I had. The state champion shooters in my club all shoot Rock Rivers. I bought a Rock River, and have not regretted it.
Most important thing is to get a good barrel. Pay more for a match grade barrel. Next thing for accuracy is a good two-stage trigger. If you will shoot competition with a tight sling, a free-float tube is essential. It's cheaper to get all this stuff up front than to add it later.
RFC357:
Thanks for added info on the brass catcher subject. Can you give me some details about/on this add-on deflector? I think this sure appeals to me more than the plastic or cloth catchers.
My buddy's AR must have been throwing cases at least 5 yards - right out into the grass on the range. This sure made it neat for him when it was time to pickup and go home. < Joke >
Thanks!
Phil from Kent

Brass catchers & deflectors?

I'm a rank "newbie" at this and a bit confused as to the best (easiest) brass catcher or deflector to use? Would whatever deflector place brass from an AR15 in a reasonably small area - so I might use a tarp to (more) easily pickup the used cases?

Hopefully, I want to start reloading this summer, so this would help me save the good brass and make it easier for my old body too!

Thanks!

Phil

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Don't have any experience with AR15's but do with M-16's. I would prefer a flat top receiver with rear peep with adjustments for windage and elevation, a good post type front sight. If you are not into comp that requires a short barrel I would go with at least a 20" varmint barrel with, I believe it is called Wylde, chamber, the chamber between 5.56mm and 223 REM. A solid not adjustable stock. And a really good hand guard and pistol grip. Scope would be what is needed (target, varmint) ect.
Also good magazines, I do not need or like anything over 10 rounds. The longer mags interfere with me getting a good prone position.
Just what I have decided over the years that would work good for me.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have a BSA "Catseye" 1.5 X 4.5 with a German type post crosshair reticle. I had planned to try this one out and if it works for me, possibly going to the 3.5 - 10 power.
I have a 20" Bushmaster A3 with the same BSA scope. I like the combination. Bushmaster, RRA and DPMS are all good rifles. You should be able to do 2" at 100 yards with good ammo. AR's are really fun rifles. You will enjoy whatever you get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts