Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
it all depends on what you want do you want an auto bolt actoin lever action single shot?what is you price range?how much shooting expieriance do you have?where are you planning to hunt want kind of terrain?
so far as caliber you have many to choose from that work great. any thing from 243/6mm up to 45/70 but i would stay away from the heavy magnums

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
thats a very open ended question , with hundreds of different answers. you'd be ahead of the game too read thru a couple dozen threads here and see what people think. mark my words, this will end up as an argument.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Haaaaaaaa......that and recommendations for 3,472 different calibers, scopes, and rifles.

But I think you answered you own question in a previous post you made where deer hunting was discussed:

"i agree with aris_unlimited. CETME or G3 in .308

You like military style weapons and you like the .308 caliber.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
The options are endless. But here is my choice for a reasonably priced all around deer rifle for a new shooter. A Tikka T3 Lite in .270 Win with a Leupold VX-1 3 X 9.

The Tikka is a accurate well made rifle with a nice trigger. The .270 win cartridge is flat shooting with plenty of energy for deer and recoil that almost anyone can tolerate. The Leupold VX-1 is very durable scope with plenty of eye relief.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha sorry guys, that was really openended. Based on your experiences what has worked the best?

I dont have alot of money to spend on a set up. So low cost is a must

·
Registered
40 Posts
we realy need more info to better answer your question.what kind of terrain do you plan on hunting.and what kind of rifles have you shot in the past if any?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey, I am new to the hunting world and was wondering what rifle I should get?

Borrow until you are absolutely certain that you want to keep hunting. Then you have to decide: Am I going to do this casually or seriously? (Casual= inexpensive rifle / Serious= expensive) Will I be shooting mostly under 200 or so yards? (IF so, any decent scope will do, nothing serious) You can get a solid rifle for under or around $500 but if I knew I was going to take it seriously as a lifelong pursuit I would spend about $900 and get something worthwhile. Once you decide that, you can narrow down your choices.

haha sorry guys, that was really openended. Based on your experiences what has worked the best?

I dont have alot of money to spend on a set up. So low cost is a must

Low cost meaning how much? Low as in $700 or low as in $300. Huge difference there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think i will borrow a rifle for the first few trips, I was thinking the remington 700 sps? What companies make good glass? I would like to continue hunting after while, maybe i will wait awhile longer and get the better rifle

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't really know what to say about a scope in a cituation like this. I have always said get the most expensive scope you can afford. I usually go with Leopold or Burris. A time or two I have used Tasco and Nikon. If you really want to step it up a notch go with one of the nice European brands, they will set you back a bit. Most of the guns I own cost me less than the scope i have on them.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts

The .243 is an excellent, accurate, low recoiling, low muzzle blast
cartridge that is factory loaded for game from varmits to deer.
It is an excellent cartridge for someone new or fairly new to
firearms and hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
270 a Nice gun very flat shooting rifle take guess work out of Holding High or Low also take guess work out of Guessing yardage since it so Fast and Flat .. Second Option would be 308 or 30-06.... all 3 calibers are good deer Rifles .... Brushy area's in the woods would require a 30-30 or 30-06 are good brush Guns ... 270 not a Brush gun neither is 243 ... But both 270 and 243 are very forgiving guns and Flat shooting that what I like best about the 270 & 243 or you Might even Like to Try 25-06 ... Now 25-06 Lost thier popularity Long ago But I still see people still Using them ...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been looking at schmidt-bender, anyone have experience with those?

It would be northern michigan terrain, I will try and get pictures of where we are going so you guys can get a feel for it

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I have been looking at schmidt-bender, anyone have experience with those?
It would be northern michigan terrain, I will try and get pictures of where we are going so you guys can get a feel for it
S&B makes excellent glass, but they're very expensive. You can get a really nice Leupold for less money, or, considering that money's tight, a Leupold Rifleman, Nikon ProStaff or Buck Master, or a Burris FullField II which usually comes with a free spotting scope, bino's, or GPS unit for around $200. For a good, solid, versatile deer rifle, I'd suggest buying a Savage "package gun" (rifle w\bore-sighted scope) in .270 which usually runs around $350-$400, sell the scope on eBay, and put one of the aforementioned scopes on it instead. Most of the factory- mounted scopes are junk, but the package guns are usually cheaper than non-scoped versions due to sales volume and selling the factory scope will help finance the better quality glass.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Northern Mich.,.223 to .45-70.I've seen them all.Low price.Stevens,H&R,seen lots of both.Go to gun,shotgun with slugs. sam.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
.... Brushy area's in the woods would require a 30-30 or 30-06 are good brush Guns ... 270 not a Brush gun neither is 243...
The term "Brush Gun" could certainly refer to light rifle that handles well in brush. But, there is no such thing as a brush cartridge that can be counted on to deliver killing shots through brush of any size, it's a myth. When a high speed projectile hits something in flight bad things happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts