Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several semi-auto pistols, but I have never owned a revolver. I have been looking at - and wanting - the Ruger GP100 .357 magnum with a 4-inch barrel. But even in blue instead of stainless, I couldn't find one NIB for under $400. So I've been trying to save up for it.

In the meantime, I've been reading about Rossi revolvers and they seem to have a pretty loyal following among their owners - some even saying they went back and purchased a second Rossi revolver (different model / barrel length or caliber, of course) because they liked the first one so much.

So I was looking at the Rossi 971 .357 magnum with 4-inch barrel in blue - Rossi doesn't make the 4-inch in stainless. Still, I was having a hard time finding one for much less than $300, and I thought if it's only going to be $100 difference, I'll keep saving for the Ruger GP100.

Then yesterday I walk into the local gun shop and their 'Featured Special' is a Rossi 972 .357 magnum in stainless with a 6-inch barrel on sale for $259. I really wanted a 4-inch barrel, but hey - stainless steel instead of a blue finish and $40 cheaper than the going rate for the 4-inch.

I couldn't resist. Took it out to the range today and so far, I love it! It is very accurate and has adjustable sights. I was getting 3-inch groups of 5 rounds at 40 feet right out of the box! And I have heard that sometimes .357's will have different POI with .357 and .38 special rounds, but at least on this first range trip, my .357 and .38 rounds were both hitting dead on.

This thing is a hand cannon! There is a good bit of recoil with .357 rounds but nothing that isn't manageable - certainly not painful or unpleasant! With .38 special rounds, there is no significant recoil.

Yes, I would rather have had the Ruger GP100, but now I have the other $145 that I saved on the Rossi to spend on ammo or Christmas presents.

Please let me hear your thoughts on Rossi in general, the 971 or 972 in particular, or also on the GP100.

Jay1958

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had the 971 stainless in the 2" barrel I believe. My girfriend bought it off of me in 1994. Shot good, balanced nice and was pretty accurate. She used to carry it in her purse. We shot mostly .38s through it but it handled the .357 pretty good as I recall.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had one I built up with a red dot scope mounted. I was playing one day and shot a double charge through it. It killed the scope, but did not hurt the gun. I think they are great guns for the money!
Talk about a big BOOM? Woweeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts