Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought an 870 Remington Express Magnum Shotgun with 2 Barrels.
The gun had been on a boat and had gotten wet, the receiver was spotted with rust about 50% on both sides but the action and bolt were like new and very little internal wear. I decided to Re-finish the receiver and after removing the Slug barrel, I discovered it was Painted with Rustoleum Black paint...I stripped it and cleaned it up and Did a weatherproof Ceramic baked finish on the receiver...
Here are some Photos.
MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-009S.JPG

MVC-011S.JPG

MVC-012S.JPG
I should have taken a "Before" photo of the rusted receiver to show how bad it was...
Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Moose your reciever work looks fantastic and appears to be smooth as glass.
I didn't know something like that could be done.
feller your good !!!...A.H

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yessir,
The Original Remington Parkerized finish was very rough like sandblasted underneath, for low glare, But it was Ruined with exposure to water, It is still Low Gloss but smoother than The original..
Rich

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
very nice!
good work buddy!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,715 Posts
You found, as I had, that Remington's Parkerized finish on the 870 Express is not very good for long-term protection. In the humid Florida atmosphere, my 870 Express started to show rust too. So I painted it camo.

If I needed a 'boat gun', I'd go with the satin SS finish.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I have an 870 Express with the matte finish and I havent had any problems with the finish yet. Mine is an older model I think. I won it in a sales contest years ago.
Remton does do a good job as far as appearence wise on the Expess models exterior metal, atleast they did on mine.
Please don't tell me it could fail !

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 870 is NIGC-- New in Gun Case. I've had it since late April 2007 and never fired it. It's the short one with two pistol grips. I bought it just to drive Feinstein and Schumer nuts...

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I have an old 870 Express Magnum that I bought in '83 from a pawn shop to deerhunt with in "Shotgun Only" areas on FT. Benning. Complete with mag extension, a sling, one of those slip-on shell holders, and sporting a Weaver K2.5 with post&crosshair reticle. Paid $80 for the rig. Boy, I killed a lot of deer with that puppy, slinging 3/4 oz "Punkin' Balls". It's still set up the same, but I've bought the parts to return it to original. Wish she looked like yours Moose! What a perty 'lil thang!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts