Fla teacher accused of wizardry

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by troy2000, May 10, 2008.

1. This is pure stupid...

LAND 'O LAKES, Fla. -- A substitute teacher in Pasco County has lost his job after being accused of wizardry.

Subsitute teacher Jim Piculas does a magic trick where a toothpick disappears and then reappears.

Piculas recently did the 30-second trick in front of a classroom at Rushe Middle School in Land 'O Lakes.

Piculas said he then got a call from the supervisor of teachers, saying he'd been accused of wizardry.

"I get a call the middle of the day from head of supervisor of substitute teachers. He says, 'Jim, we have a huge issue, you can't take any more assignments you need to come in right away,'" he said.

Piculas said he did not know of any other accusations that would have led to the action.

The teacher said he is concerned that the incident may prevent him from getting future jobs.

2. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

Well this is what happens is liberal lah lah land. They need to break Florida off and reattach it somewhere farther up north.

3. Huh? You're saying that accusations of witchcraft and wizardry are "liberal?!?" I don't think so...and the last time I was in Florida, it wasn't exactly a hotbed of liberalism.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Simple Magic trick is Wizardry...HOW ABSURD. We need to get Cris Angel to go down there...LOL
    So I guess when I make a Quarter disappear and pull it out of a childs ear at my school, I'm a Wizard ??? Not Hardly !
    Just proves that Idiots are running the school system down there...Glad I left!
    I wonder if they do Halloween In Land O'Lakes ???
    Rich

5. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

no I am not implying that "accusations of witchcraft and wizardry" are liberal. I am implying that idiocy is. Its not a hotbed if you look at say San Fran, but it leans farther left than the rest of the south does.

6. yeah all the new york libs moved down there

7. I'll totally disagree with that one; idiocy knows no political boundaries. I'm not sure how or why you shoehorned a slam at liberalism into this story to begin with...

8. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Holy crap. That is....Inane. Is the florida school system the modern day Salem Mass. or have they simply lost their minds ?

I think they need to wear hats, their heads are getting too much sun ! :bigeyes:

9. Inane; and insane. Pred goes thru a lot of tinfoil hats, I think. Where is he when we really need him?

Pred, would you be willing to donate your used tinfoil hats to a school administration that probably needs them worse than you do?:bigeyes:

10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Actually, it has EXACTLY as much scientific basis, from a technical perspective, as advocating that CO2 produced by man is causing our planet to warm. ;)

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist

Troy, please tell me that this story is an attempt at humor and not real. Please tell me that the folks running our schools have more sense than this. :bigeyes:

12. Ahhh...no. Whether you agree that global warming is happening or not, there's absolutely no doubt how CO2 works to trap heat. It can be shown scientifically in controlled experiments, and it's been thoroughly explained. On Venus the 96.5% carbon dioxide (CO2) atmosphere results in surface temperatures of about 870 °F.

I wish I could, Bob. But this isn't from The Onion or any other parody site; it really happened.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Troy...I have to wave the BS Flag on this one...Venus is Closer to the Sun, hence the hotter temps...Not a **** thing to do with CO2...
    Go to any University study on "Heat absorption of gasses compared to Water Vapor"
    Water vapor = 1.0
    CO2 = .01
    O2 = .01
    N = .01

All clear Gasses are 1/100th the heat absorption of Water vapor !
    Science FACT...Not Fiction!
    Rich

14. Troy

Troy G&G Enthusiast

ya know, i have read this thread twice, no kidding, twice. i just don't know what to say about the actual topic. but i have questions though.

1. how the hell does sombody, anybody, get into a supervisory, or any management position that thinks like that? i mean wizardry, c'mon for crissakes. it was a parlor trick. sounds like the jackass we got here in canada trying for the ban on hand guns. y'all probably remember a thread about that a short while ago.

2. this one really gave me a chuckle. how exactly does a persons level of stupidity automatically dictate what their political background is? every group has their fair share of people that are smart like a bag of hammers.

15. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Duuuummbb....gees I'll never understand how people can do that...

As for the political references, it would seem to me that conservatives would be more inclined to say something against witchcraft than a liberal, but that's just me. As for stupidity, I think there are more well known liberal dorks(like the Clintons), but as for there being more in general? HA! I've seen plenty of idiots who're liberal, conservative, or indifferent! As said before, stupidity knows no bounds! It infiltrates every group of people in every corner of the world.

16. Wave the bs flag all you want, Rich. But you're getting your science from political hacks, not scientists. The basics of how greenhouse gases work were demonstrated by John Tyndall in 1859, when he proved that not all gases are equally transparent to heat.

Your mistake is believing that scientists claim greenhouse gases work by absorbing heat. They don't. Greenhouse gases work by reflecting heat, not absorbing it. And they reflect longer-wavelength heat radiation from relatively cool surfaces such as the Earth's surfaces better than they reflect the shorter-wavelength sun's rays.

A certain percentage of the heat absorbed by the surface is reflected or radiated straight back into space, but some of the longer-wavelength radiated heat starts bouncing around between greenhouse gas molecules, like the ball in a pachinko machine bounces around on the nailboard. It warms the atmosphere as it goes until it either bounces out into space, or back into the Earth's surface again. The more nails, the longer the pachinko ball stays in play. And the more greenhouse-gas molecules, the more energy gets trapped.

Venus isn't nearly close enough to the sun to account for that 870 degrees. Without the carbon dioxide, its temperatures would be much closer to those of Earth.

17. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

Hmmm because this is the obscene end result of the mentality foisted onto our school system hijacked by liberal whackos.

Idiocy doesnt know political boundaries, but it sure has a comfy home on the left side of the fence. Modern liberal policies are the very definition of idiocy in that they have the exact opposite effect of the stated intent. Examples?

Welfare creates poverty which happens to be its exact opposite stated intent.

Gun control creates creates more crime.

They always want to "punish" big companies by raising their taxes. LOL COMPANIES DONT PAY TAXES, THEIR CUSTOMERS PAY THEM. They just pass that tax raise right on down the road so who is getting punished?

Growing huge fields of corn for biofuels is actually generating more greenhouse gases.

Affirmative action actually reinforces racism because IT IS RACISM.

I could go on and on and on. it would be funny except its real life and its causing real harm.

18. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

You're way wrong here, Troy. It actually HASN'T been shown to trap heat empirically here, to any measurable degree whatsoever, even with dedicated scientific studies. All thermal inertia studies looking at the absorption spectra of CO2 vice heat retention capability haven't shown any correlation. The IR absorption spectra for carbon is relatively narrow, occuring at 2.7, 4.26, and 15 microns (and this reflects in all directions, not just light that's captured by the earth and re-emitted as black body radiation getting "trapped" but also IR that would be coming in--have a look at some of the links for a little better perspective on the carbon absorption spectra). It's not a greenhouse, but more of a picket fence (with pretty large gaps in between the pickets--maybe more like a chain link fence). This is only for heat conduction and doesn't even take into account the convection aspects of our atmosphere, which aren't understood at all (and would work against the global warming "theory.") The total CO2 concentration in the atmosphere from every source is about 0.038% and has been both higher and lower with zero input from man. My point is when you scale all of this, if you were looking at the total change over the last 200 years of all CO2 (both man made and natural levels), if you scaled it to a window in a room that opened 2 feet, this change would have a maximum thermal effect under the best case scenario of 9.6 millionths of an inch. Given that we can't really measure the solar constant well--i.e. the heat "input" (certainly not past 4 significant figures) there's absolutely no evidence that CO2 on earth is warming our planet. Saying so (when it's not true) is essentially the same of convicting someone of witchcraft--it has no scientific basis in fact. In fact, the whole global warming scam is remarkably similar to our past when we burned witches by misguided masses.

You may want to investigate some of the climatologists and scientists on the "other" side of the issue--and these aren't hacks but real scientists as well. Several with no agendas (i.e. their cash cow doesn't come from grants which depend on proving their "theories" and getting their governments to tax to keep the government servants employed, or from selling movies by sensationalizing a non-existant problem). Note that all of the proponents global warming theory rely on precisely measured historical data (NOT real-time studies) to further their argument; I seriously doubt our precision on measuring our earth temperature past 150 years or so; for much of this it's measuring with a micrometer then cutting with a dull axe at best. Here are some links to the spectra data. There was also a thermal inertia study done in NM with varying levels of water vapor (to assist in locally correlating water vapor concentration to thermal inertia i.e. heat retention capability, Water vapor, of course, at least locally does retain heat; the worldwide effect is not well known because burning fossil fuels always creates both H2O and CO2, and the H2O precipitates out--taking by the way some CO2 with it) which is worth looking at--sorry couldn't find the link. Basically, all of them show CO2 at any terrestial concentration has no appreciable effect on median earth temperature. This is why the "dire predictions" aren't and won't be happening. The main reason that people keep chanting loudly is to get the tax infrastructure in before people wise up.

Nitty Gritty Perspective on Global Warming—the CO2 Absorption Spectrum.

Cold Facts on Global Warming

Global Warming Facts

The Climate Catastrophe - A Spectroscopic Artifact

The global warming "theory" is simply an elaborate scam to exploit people's technical ignorance and tax/defraud people. The reason why carbon was picked is because most of us think of black and dirty when we think of carbon and coal--purely for psychological effect. Also, while it's possible to separate real pollutants, CO2 will always exist anytime you burn anything. Theoretically, you and I could be taxed for breathing more or less.

I'd be willing to listen to some "scientist" alot more if they were advocating building nukes and exploiting renewables vice some tax/carbon scam scheme.

19. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

This is exactly why Fark.com has a Florida tag, because crap like this only happens in Florida.