close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

flash hider

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Apr 11, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    One the STG-58 that I am looking at, I have a question about the flash hider. First off, it is built off of a Austrian STG-58 with an Imbel receiver and a bi-pod. Sound good so far, right? Well, it has a three prong flash hider(can opener), like the old AR-15's had, but obviously bigger. Has anyone seen this on a FN-FAL type rifle before? It is threaded on there, like any other flash hider. I didn't see any pins or welds holding it on like it is off another type of gun. The other flash hiders I have seen on FN's, are usually long and thin, with slits or holes in them. So, if I am not mistaken, would this gun be a post '89 ban, but pre '94 gun ban? I think this is the one I am going to buy (asking price $750). Anything sound bad or illegal about this gun? Thanks for the input, I really want that gun......:assult: Keep on thinking about it.....Oh yeah..

Thanks

-Tim

2. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Tim, If i remember correctly, the brake has to be permanently attached. Do you know who assembled the rifle? Is it a CAI?? I know someone out there can explain the difference between a brake and hider but how does a brake work without redirecting the muzzle flash??? DSA has several brakes on their site, have you checked to see if it is one of theirs?? You might want to ask the question on falfiles.com Don't forget that you can get a STG-58 from DSA for $799, that's the dealer price. (no i don't work for them.)

to Jesse- SORRY to be mentioning other sites......

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Those permanent attachment laws don't apply if the rifle is a grandfathered pre-ban. The thing to do is find out its source. Sounds like a fine rifle to me. Price is good, but not suspiciously good.

4. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Where there any STG-58 kits brought into the country before the various bans? What about the Imbel receiver, where they imported pre-bans?

5. I think that there were a couple of Armscor pre-ban StG-58s brought in to the USA. IIRC, they had been demilled and rebuilt on Type III receivers, not Type Is like the originals.