Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a box of surplus, 6.5mm Swedish ammo for $8.00 at a flea market. Marked 6.5mm sk ptr m/94 prj m/41 on the box. Headstamp seems to indicate made in 87. Looked it up on the internet and wish I had bought all he had, but I wasn't sure about them. JOHN

·
Banned
672 Posts
Okay, this is off topic sorta..but flea markets! I was at a local flea market not long ago, and being the foodie/cooking nerd that I am, spotted a Griswold #8 cast iron skillet with lid. I was hoping the guy didn't know what he had. Sadly, he was asking $200, which is cheaper than ebay, but still expensive.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
Okay, this is off topic sorta..but flea markets! I was at a local flea market not long ago, and being the foodie/cooking nerd that I am, spotted a Griswold #8 cast iron skillet with lid. I was hoping the guy didn't know what he had. Sadly, he was asking $200, which is cheaper than ebay, but still expensive.
Lauren, you need to come up to the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in New Milford, CT, where we sell on Sundays. On any given Sunday there are at least half a dozen people with serious amounts of cast iron. Two weekends ago we were put next to one of them, and he was not asking anywhere near $200 for a vintage No. 8 Griswold frypan.

Reactions: K75RT and jwrauch

·
Banned
672 Posts
Lauren, you need to come up to the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in New Milford, CT, where we sell on Sundays. On any given Sunday there are at least half a dozen people with serious amounts of cast iron. Two weekends ago we were put next to one of them, and he was not asking anywhere near $200 for a vintage No. 8 Griswold frypan.
Omg, I would love that flea market! There's just something so neat..the thought of how old those pans are. It's so historical. I held that pan, looking at the date, and wondered "who owned this? What's been cooked in it?" Just overwhelming history there, knowing it wasn't turned in and donated to the war effort during WW2.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Picked up a box of surplus, 6.5mm Swedish ammo for $8.00 at a flea market. Marked 6.5mm sk ptr m/94 prj m/41 on the box. Headstamp seems to indicate made in 87. Looked it up on the internet and wish I had bought all he had, but I wasn't sure about them. JOHN
JR I have some boxes of 6.5x55 somewhere in one of my ammo storage cans buried. I bought it cheap years ago and only my son has shot any. I saved the rest. He tried it in a sporter rifle I built him about 10 years ago. I cant remember the markings but it is in brown cardboard boxes like most of my 8x57. Its rare to find the stuff anymore. I only see the stuff with wooden bullets anymore

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Lauren I had no idea that the Griswold skillets sell for that much. I see some of them sometimes as I go to a few flea markets that are large and outdoors near me. I will have to keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I know right ?? ... I'd love to have more cast iron cookware than what I have (primarily
WagnerWare, Keilen ltd & vintage Lodge ) and I keep an eye out for good deals on nice cast iron locally as well as the local online classifieds and Craigslist and once in awhile I might find a really good deal on a skillet or two that hasn't been hoarded up by the so-called local "collectors" that pick up everything they can then they jack the prices WAY UP and try and resell them for a premium .

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Nice score, I wish I had a bunch of that myself :) . I did recently picked up 114 rounds of 6.5 Swede myself :) . Some of it is head stamped Norma 6.5 x55 but most of it is head stamped V146 48 HA & some of them have a triangle at the 10 O'clock osition and some of them do not . I looked them up online and this is what I found on the cartridge collectors forum. Here's the initial question someone asked about the same ammo :

Standard looking round with hedastamp HA 48 V146 brass primer, round nose CN bullet, There is a TRIANGLE mark in the 10 oclock position , which I have not seen before, obviously added to the headstamp later, my guess is a reload mark, or is it something else? thanks Randy

And here's the answer 2 the question :
  • This ammo was produced in the late forties by HaerensArsenalet, Kobenhaven, for use with Borrowed Swedish M96 rifles being used by the newly constituted Danish Army post-war (even though they had large quantities of US and British equipment.)

The cartridges were made up according to the older M96 shooting tables, as the rifles lent were still sighted for the M94 RN ball.

It seems the cases, as made, had an imperfectly-formed Berdan anvil, and this had to be rectified before being loaded/re-loaded, as there initially was a high rate of misfires.

I don’t know whether the cases were reworked in production, or they were “re-manufactured” after having been assembled as complete ammo.

The other (subsequent) problem was that the Nickel-jacket Projectiles excessively Fouled the Bores of the rifles, casing excessive pressures, and some case failures(Blow backs). The problem was solved by returning the Swedish rifles to Sweden by the early 1950s, in the meantime using fresh Swedish made ammo as well.
    The “V146” ammo was subsequently sold as surplus to Interarms in the late 1950s, where it found its way onto the US market, where it was instantly found to cause excessive bore fouling problems, with some dire results…by the 1970s, almost everybody knew to avoid using the ammo in any M96 or M38 Swedish Mauser rifles…the problem was especially bad in Ag42B semi-autos…

So, an interesting Collectors item; being the first (and possibly only) production of 6,5x55 by the HA of Denmark.

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics
  • View attachment 95404 View attachment 95406 View attachment 95408

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
If you run into him again buy what you can and if he has more than that and he wouldn't mind selling them and shipping me some let me know :) ...

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Good shopping JWR. Maybe he'll still have some later and you can get the rest.

·
Registered
621 Posts
jwrauch I own an M96 Swedish Mauser and refer to this site a lot, you may find something of value!

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/ammo.html

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
That's crazy. I bought my 1890's vintage Wagner Ware skillet for 25 bucks.
I just now cooked my breakfast in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts