close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flektar kevlar vest

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Klaus, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

My kevlar body armor/flack vest came in today. It looks pretty nice. The kevlar is about 1/8" thick and seems to be 4 or 5 layers. Does anyone know how that compares to "bulletproof" vests? I am thinking it is roughly equal to a level 2, but I am not an expert. It is certainly much better than the vests I wore in the Navy as part of the Security Alert Team. It looks well worth the money I paid Tapco.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2002
  2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Is it Dry clean only?

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I think it can be laundered in warm water, after the kevlar is removed.

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Not sure how to wash forign vest..but in the USMC while in lebnon we just took our kevlar vest with us to the shower....little soap and a fingernail brush... I'm sure there is some way to test/determin the level useing math...but since I tend to still use Marine logic I'd say shoot it with handguns starting with 22 and going up.....course I'd recomend not wearing it while testing :)

5. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Typical Level II. Put a little plate steel behind the kevlar for higher levels.

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ben may have an idea...put trama or the cermic plates in it....

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    there was just a recent program on armor, History channel I think. Sometimes they repeat. Very informative.

8. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

The plates go in front, of the vest, not behind the ballistic material. Check out the Second Chance body armor web site. Also make sure its a Ballistic vest for bullets or just a flack vest. There is a difference. Not knowing which one you have could give you a bo-bo.

9. Some bloke by the name of Ned Kelly had an idea like this too.:p

10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    love his steak house! ;)

11. Klaus,

I'm not sure you can tell the level of protection if there is no tags, etc. on the vest.

We used to insist on threat level 3 or higher when I was in the department and we preferred Second Chance vests. Vests were one piece of equipment, considered essential, but that the department would not reimburse us for. Go figure. And, Lord help you if you were ever injured and NOT wearing one.

We would put the metal plate in the insert on the front for added protection.

Now, even with the best protection there are more and more ammo types surfacing that will still penetrate the vest.

But a vest is better than no vest.

We could take the insert out of ours and hand wash the liner but the kevlar insert had to be dry cleaned.