close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FLY FISHING MEMBERS

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by FortyXDM, Feb 12, 2018.

1. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Let us hear from those of you who fly fish. Let us know what you fish for, what equipment you use, and where you fish. Be as specific as you like !

neophyte likes this.
  2. FortyXDM

I am mostly a trout fly fisher, but also go out for some smallies about every year. I mostly fish trout streams in Missouri, but prefer at least a week trip to Montana. I have fly rods in weight 3 to 8, but mainly use a 4,5,or 6 weight. More to follow...

neophyte, Dutch and jerry like this.

3. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

Yakima
    Fly fishing is all I do, trout is pretty much it. I usually fish the Selway River near Moose Creek Idaho and around the Frank Church Wilderness area of Idaho. 99% catch and release. Once in a while we fish the Missouri Breaks in Montana.

I have a couple of older Fenwick rods and a few split bamboo rods that belonged to my Grandfather. Nothing fancy.

neophyte, rando, FortyXDM and 2 others like this.
  4. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

Yes, I do from time to time. I'll go after panfish and some of the stocked rainbows in town here. I'm going to Montana in April for some real fly fishing.

5. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I actually prefer to ice fish. But in the off season I'll take the fly rods out once in a while. I have an ugly stick 2 piece that works okay, a Cabela's Brand, and a few mid range Reddington rods. They are all good though. All 5 weight.

I go for rainbow and cutbow trout the majority of the time. Browns are preferred, but there are few areas around here where I can target them. There's an area that is excellent for Brook trout that I try to hit at least once every year. Once in a while I'll go for Lakers and pike, but that's pretty rare; more of an ice activity generally.

I use floating line almost always, but do keep a reel with lead line for when I'm out on the canoe and want to Target a shelf. Again, rare for me.

As for flys, I keep a wide selection with me. Whatever is hatching, or if nothing is hatching, a bugger, streamer, or leach may save the day.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    neophyte and FortyXDM like this.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

not so much.
    I got the stuff and even can tie my own flies.
    I just don't.
    no reason really.
    I would maybe guess it's cause I also got a boat, trolling gear, jigging poles, spinning rods, lures, and also bait fish.
    I fish for small mouth bass, trout, carp, catfish, perch, and crappie at different times of the year.
    between that and spring/summer varmint shooting and fall big game & bird hunting.
    I would be tossing flies out on the ice.

neophyte, FortyXDM and Dutch like this.
  7. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I used to enjoy tying my own flies and wading the White River and the Spring River in northern Arkansas. No better feeling than catching a fast water brown on a fly you tied yourself. Haven't been in a long time....no time for any of that fun stuff anymore!

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

Fly fishing is about all my wife and I do for fishing. We were died in the wool Sage rod fans until I tried out the Hardy rods and reels. We have some custom bamboo rods in 4, 5, and 6 weights. The bamboo rods get Hardy reels and silk lines (real silk). My 4 weight bamboo gets a Baby Ballan reel. Fishing with silk makes you slow down and enjoy the day, stop about noon, dry and treat your line, have a nice lunch and get back to fishing.

A couple years ago I managed a fly shop that was spitting distance, literally, from the Madison River in Montana. We were a Hardy Dealer, so I got a smoking deal on the Hardy rods and reels, so we are well equipped there. While in Montana I fished all the major trout waters and a lot of smaller ones as well. Even ventured into Yellowstone to fish there.

From here in western Washington, we fish the Bogachiel, Sol Duc, Hoh, Skagit, Cowitz. Nisqually and Naches Rivers for resident Cutthroat year round and hit the coastal rivers for Sea Run Cutthroat, summer and winter Steelhead runs and three runs of Pacific Salmon.

For the Steelhead and Salmon fishing we go to two hand rods throwing Skagit lines with spey casts.

We also fish with friends on the Lochsa and Selway Rivers in Idaho. The Lochsa is great fishing, but river access is easier on the Selway for us older folks. We also hit the North Fork of the Clearwater for steelhead when the run is on. We pretty much stopped the steelhead fishing on the Clearwater. We figure any fish that makes it to Idaho from the Pacific Coast, should be able to make baby steelhead.

Vickie and I both dress our own flies, plus we do demonstration fly tying at expos around the area. She demos full dress Atlantic Salmon flies and deer hair bass flies, while I demo old style North Country flies from Scotland and Great Britain. We can run a smallish fly shop out of our tying room with the supplies we have accumulated over the years.

neophyte, Dutch, rando and 3 others like this.
  9. FortyXDM

Still have my old Fenwick FF 756 from 1972. It is a 7 1/2 ft for 6 weight. Don't use it much now, but still a fine rod.

neophyte, Ron Eagle Elk and Stickman like this.
  10. FortyXDM

You should be blessed with a long life as time on the water doesn't count against time on earth. :)
    Great information !

11. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I go fly fishing at least a few times a year early when still cold. I have fished this one particular trout stream for over 40 years with a fly rod. It was a trophy stream and could keep one brown or rainbow over 18". It was changed over to a catch and release many years ago so always trout in there year round. I like the quietness and being secluded when back in the woods and in the water wading. I also go saltwater fly fishing for striped bass and white perch during summer. I have a friend that hand ties flies for trout and saltwater streamers also. I don't have but a $250 setup so nothing spectacular

neophyte, one3 and Ron Eagle Elk like this.
  12. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Forgot to mention my equipment. It's not much, I have an Orvis 5 weight rod that I bought 30 years ago at a discount sporting goods store. Reel is some cheapo piece. Daughter broke my rod tip last summer while I was trying to teach her and now it has a piece of thin wire that I molded/shaped for an eyelet and glued to the tip. I think it'll work??? I'm a budget trout/fly fisherman.

neophyte likes this.
  13. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

Is your 30 year old Orvis fly rod ........made of tonkin bamboo?
    The older, split bamboo fly rods were made with Tonkin bamboo..
    You had one of those you were in high cotton. Really a class rod.

Or, is yours....glass ? If your a "budget" guy.
    I had a 7 ft un-known fly rod I used when I fished for trout in the mountains near Thurmont, Md. Not a lot of room to move, hence the shorter rod. Level line. Nymph`s only. Catch and release.

FortyXDM, neophyte and rando like this.
  14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I used to tie flies when I was in Junior High School, just for a hobby. I never went "fly fishing" though.

neophyte likes this.
  15. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I never fly fished, I only swatted them flys!!! :);):cool::D:rolleyes::usa2:

austinjoe13 likes this.
  16. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have fished many trout streams in Thurmont Area and still go there to certain streams and a few ponds with trout that have a stream fed to them. I also hunt that area. How many years ago did you fish that area? Streams are smaller there and a lot of overhanging trees. Also native trout there also

neophyte likes this.
  17. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I just started fly fishing last summer. Got a starter set from Walmart & really didn't know what I was doing. Got it put together & tried to use it at a local lake. When the hook zipped past my ear I figured it would be a good thing if I got a little instruction,(before I hurt myself) so I got on YOUtube.
    Now after a little practice I've been mostly catching small fish. I can't believe the price they want for such small flies & there are so many kinds I don't know to buy. I know some people tie their own. But I wouldn't know where to start.

Dutch, FortyXDM, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  18. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

In the mid 50`s.

FortyXDM, PAPA G and rando like this.
  19. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

From New Mexico, state fish is Trout, I learned to fly fish streams, rivers, and beaver ponds, tie flies, eat what you catch, and have a fantastic time. I still have some of my gear. My son expressed interest and got his rod, reel, line. He was having a heck of a time getting his line out and was getting frustrated. So, being Dad, I said would you like a quick lesson, which he accepted. I dazzled him plain and simple. Showed him my techniques to strip out line, set placement, and also how to flip a line into tight spots. He was so happy he took me out for a burger and fries.

FortyXDM and PAPA G like this.
  20. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

AK just look around.
    your just mimicking the available food source.
    may flies, small midges, sometimes it's underwater food sources.
    I tied up and glued together a twisty mass of black thread and put about 2 dozen 1/2" strands of free flowing pieces of thread out the back to mimic a leech.
    I would let that just roll along the bottom in the spring time and it was ridiculous how many fish it caught.
    a favorite in Utah was a plain brown fly about 1/2" long with a really thin hackle that I just skittered over the water.
    it kind of looked like a real big mosquito.

AK Hunter, FortyXDM and PAPA G like this.