close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fn-49

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Gyrene, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Has anyone here experienced this problem? My FN-49 Argentine .308 may have a bent barrel, as it shoots to the left. Adjusting the front sight to the left moves the hit to the right. Adjusting the rear sight to the right moves the hit to the right.

I have adjusted the front sight all the way to the left (that moves the hit to the right), and I have adjusted the rear sight all the way to the right (that moves the hit to the right). I have to aim at the right hand side of the target to hit the 10 ring. With the front and rear sights centered, I can hit the adjacent target to the left. NO, I am not aiming at the wrong target.

2. SIGHT ADJUSTMENT

THE RULE OF SIGHT ADJUSTMENT IS REAR SIGHT IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO MOVE. FRONT SIGHT IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO MOVE.

DANA

3. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    DANA - That is what I have done, and I ran out of adjustment, in the front sight and the rear sight.

To move the hit to the right, I moved the front sight to the left.

To move the hit to the right, I moved the rear sight to the right.

I still have to aim at the right hand side of the target to hit the 10 ring.

It seems strange that, if the pipe is straight, and the sights are set on the centerline of the pipe, then the bullet should go straight, yet it seems to always go to the left.

4. WORTH A TRY?

IF YOU HAVE AN ADITIONAL FRONT SIGHT BRAZE THE BLADE OFF CENTER TO THE LEFT. THEN YOU COULD DRILL A NEW PEEP TO THE RIGHT. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT YOU NEED TO MOVE THE BARREL ASMITH TO THE RIGHT AND THE SIGHT LINE TO THE LEFT.

DANA

5. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    DANA - Making a little fun, but close to the actual truth: I need to sight to the left of the left hand wing of the front sight guard, it is that far off! That is with the rear sight still to the right as far as it can go. If I brazed a different front sight to the existing one, I would have to put a 1/4 inch spacer between them, and sight on the front sight on the left.

Had a similar problem with a 1903-A3 a number of years ago, and the armorer who fixed it said he just straightened the barrel. I did talk to a guy who I know was an armorer for a Navy shooting team, and he said he will straighten the barrel for me.

I am really surprised I haven't shot myself in the backside, it is so far to the left! NOT FUNNY!!!

I guess that is what I will have to do, but this time I will stay with the rifle to see what he does.