close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fn 49

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Gyrene, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Doesn't the FN 49 get some coverage somewhere??

I have an Argentinian FN 49 that was originally 7.65 x 53 (I believe) and it was converted to 7.62 x 51 (I believe at the FN factory in Belgium).

The FN 49 was the immediate predecessor to the FN FAL, and the FN FAL uses many of the characteristics of the FN 49. I have only one magazine (10 rounds) and would like to locate another 10 round magazine so that I could shoot it in the CMP matches of the club I belong to. Not a pressing need, but sometime in the future.

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Gyrene, I agree, the FN 49 is a fine rifle and needs to have representation on this site. I'll try to do something about that. The 10 rd. mags are hard to find for the Argentine FN 49. Gun List sometimes has them for sale in the classifieds and SARCO sometimes advertises them in the Shotgun News. I wish I could help you more but they are a difficult item. I had an 8mm FN 49 and I believe it is one of the finest forgien made semi-autos ever made. The quality is on par with the Swedish Lungman. Yours is by far one of the nicest FN 49's to own. I wish you the best.

Jesse

3. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Jesse - I have shot it just to make sure everything worked as it should. I need to spend some time moving my sights so that the 1.75" group at 100 yards is on the X Ring. Right now the center of the group is 8.75" right and 1" up from where it should be. I suspect that once I really learn how to shoot it, the group will get tighter.

I have seen the FN 49 .30-06 magazines advertised in Shotgun News, but so far none of the 7.62 x 51. It is my luck that the FN FAL magazines are not even close, so I suspect that the FN 49 .30-06 magazines are not close either. I have been thinking that I should try to get a complete set, including the 6.5 x 55mm, 7 x 57mm, 7.65 x 53mm, .30-06, & 8 x 57mm, to add to my growing collection.

This rifle actually had 2 magazines, but the previous owner decided he didn't want to part with both of them. He doesn't have another FN 49 7.62 x 51, and is just sitting on it. I suspect that he wants a fortune for the second one. They are 20 round magazines which have been butchered down to 10 rounders. I mean, the workmanship on the bottom of the magazine is about on par with a 2nd grade metal shop, but the one I have works well. Maybe they will let me load all 10 cartridges in the magazine, and give me 10 seconds less to fire them all.

I have only seen silhouette pictures of the FN 49 with a sling on it, so I am not sure what I should use. The USGI leather sling fits it almost perfectly, and I think for our club matches it would be acceptable.

4. Jesse

FN49

The guy you need to talk to is Tony West at West Custom Gunsmithing. I know that he has rebarreled these rifles and may be able to tell you if the 30/06 FN49 mags can be modified. Tony' shop # is : (513) 877-2183 Tues.-Sat.

Jesse

5. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Jesse - Thanks for the lead, I will have to wait until Tuesday, to contact Tony West.

6. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Jesse,

I called West Custom Gunsmithing @ (513) 877-2183, and left my number on the answering machine on Tuesday, so far no response.

I did check the FN FAL 7.62 x 51 magazine, and it is not even close, so no hope there.

Today I got a line on a FN 49 in .30-06, which has been for sale for a couple of weeks. I made an offer, but no response on that either, yet. Maybe in a week or so, and I may have to drive 800 miles round trip to get it. I need to get out of the house anyhow, so I am looking forward to that.

7. Jesse

8. HAVE FOUR OF THEM BUT NEVER FIRED THEM. RUMOR WAS IN THE KOREAN WAR THE FIRING PINS WOULD SNAP AND GO FULL AUTO (SLAM FIRE ) TILL EMPTY ???????? ANY COMENTS

9. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    DANA - I had replied to your post, but I guess it got lost on April 1 with some other things, including a post to another Thread that I was posting to, it ended up posted to a Thread in an entirely different Forum, on a completely different subject. The Thread I was attempting to post to disappeared. WOW!

That said, all of the FN-49's I saw used in Korea seemed to function as flawlessly as the M1 Garands. I suppose that it could happen, that the firing pin could break and get jammed into firing mode full time. I believe that is possible with almost any semi-Auto, even though the designers are usually pretty good at designing to prevent the broken firing pin from protruding from the bolt. Maybe in a combat situation it would be more desireable to have it as a full-auto, than as a club.

tarheel - I was successful in contacting the web site you recommended, (Thank you very much), <ttp://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/> and I have placed 2 10 round 7.62 x 51 magazines on order.

Now I should be able to fire the FN-49 in our club matches, which require a magazine change, or reloading with stripper clips. I have a lot of other rifles I can fire in the matches, but I want to see how the FN-49 performs.

10. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Jesse - By the way, I found that the .30-06 magazines are the same as the 8mm and the others. When they come out of the rifle they come apart, like a clam shell and will not hold any rounds, not the same as the 7.62 x 51 magazines which work the same as in the FN-FAL, M14/M1A, and all of the others. The 7.62 x 51 magazine is unique in the FN-49 world.

My thanks to all who assisted me, in my search!

11. Jesse

I've seen those 30/06 mags. You have to load the FN/49 with stripper clips in that setup, which was the way it originally was invented to be reloaded. The FN/49 is a cool rifle. I hope you have a good time with your rifle.

12. Goose52

Goose52 G&G Newbie

Gyrene

Congrats on having an Argentine contract FN-49 - only about 800-1000 of these have been imported so far so you are starting out with one of the rarer issues here in the States.

On magazines, all FN-49s originally had a semi-fixed 10-round magazine. As was said above, there are no feed lips on the magazine box and the magazine will not hold rounds when removed from the rifle. The feed lips are on the receiver rails and loading is via stripper clip through the top of the action. Only Argentina subsequently coverted their rifles to 7.62x51 with a 20 round detachable magazine. The Argentine detachable mags are unique to this conversion and do not interchange with ANY other mag. This conversion was done in Argentina - not in Belgium. There are no Belgian proof marks on the new 7.62x51 barrel as there would be if the conversion had been performed in Belgium.

Dana

As you mentioned above, there is a known problem with FN-49s fitted with one-piece firing pins. These long pins were prone to breakage and the broken front section could become lodged with with pin tip protruding from the face of the bolt which resulted in either a full-auto firing until the magazine was empty OR an out-of-battery slam-fire with resulting case rupture. The redesign that FN made was to convert the pin to a two-piece set-up which essentially eliminates the problem as long as the firing pin channel inside the bolt in clean and there's nothing in there to intefere with the pin movement (which is a caution for all firearms). The Argentine contract was late enough that, to my knowledge, all were fitted with a 2-pc pin.

If you want to check to see what kind of pin you have you have to disassemble your bolt - take a look at the right side of the bolt and you'll see where the extractor spring (long, flat piece on outside of bolt) hooks over the rear end of the extractor. On the top of the extractor spring, you'll see a little notch in the bolt body. This notch was designed to be engaged with a bullet tip and used to pry the extractor spring downward. Once the extractor spring has rotated down a bit it will release the extractor which just falls out. Continue to rotate the extractor spring down until it's about 80 deg rotated. At that time, push in on the exposed rear of the firing pin, which releases the extractor spring. Then shake firing pin (1-piece or 2-pieces) and the firing pin spring out of the firing pin channel in the bolt. Assembly is reverse!

As long as everything is disassembled - make sure that the firing pin channel in the bolt is nice and clean with no dried grease or crud in there.

If you have a one-piece pin, you can get the 2-piece set-up at Sarco (#FN-069). At various times, Northridge, Numrich, and Springfield Sporters will have them also. Beware that if you have any FN-49 EXCEPT an 8mm Egyptian that you will have to specifically request a pin with the slot for the firing pin safety stop (8mm rifles were not fitted with the stop).

I think I've answered the questions posed above.

A good general info web-site for FN-49s is the Landry site here: http://walnut.tmcom.com/~jlandry/firearms/FN49.html Also, there are just tons of posts on FN-49s on the Parallax and Gunboards military semi-auto rifle forums.

NOW, if you've made it this far, I would appreciate some help. I am running a series of surveys on FN-49s and just on this thread it looks like you guys have at least 5 rifles. I now have 291 FN-49 rifles in my data base and would appreciate your participation to push me over 300. I'm running the survey on several different Boards but I will post the survey on a new thread on this Board. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Goose

13. FIRING PIN BREAKING

GOOSE
    THANKX FOR THE INPUT BUT AS I SAID I DO NOT FIRE MY FN-49S JUST COLLECT THEM ALONG WITH ALL TYPES OF MILITARY FIREARMS. THANKX AGAIN
    DANA

14. Goose52

Goose52 G&G Newbie

Dana

Thanks for the reply. I have several 99.5% rifles that I don't shoot but the rest I do!

I'd still appreciate it if you would participate in my survey. I've picked up 2 more rifles this evening so I'm now up to 293 rifles in the data base.

If you have privacy concerns, as I mention in the survey, I only track serial numbers down to a block of 100 so I ask that everyone place 2 XXs at the end of their serial number and I don't retain any names in the data base.

Thanks,

Goose

15. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Goose52 - Thanks for your input. I will be cruising through the other sites you have mentioned, because I may pick up some information that I know I will need. Since there is no operators manual, as far as I know, any good information is always a help.

The condition of my Argentinian is as close to Like New as a 50 year old rifle can be, since it had been used. I would say the condition is arsenal New, as compared to other rifles I have seen as, never fired, never issued. It is at least in 98% of New condition.

Except for the poor workmanship on the magazine, where they reduced the capacity to 10 rounds, some wear on the magazine follower, and the welded on ring on the muzzle (poor welding [as a welder, and later a weld inspector, I see bad welds], they should have brazed it or used silver solder), the workmanship is very good to outstanding.

I already posted my data, on the Argentinian.

I hope to pick up the .30-06 before the summer starts. Like I said before, I will have to drive over 800 miles, round trip, to get it, and it looks like over 800 miles, round trip, is nearer 1200 miles round trip.

tarheel - Consider the good time as having already started. It began when I located the 7.62 x 51 FN-49, and when I finally got it, it proved to be the outstanding rifle that everyone who had seen it, said it was. Like I said before, the 1.75" group at 100 yards is centered 8.75" right and 1" high from the center of the X Ring. The front sight is left of its center position, I will need to move it to the right to get the target hits to move left (the front sight moves to the opposite direction of the direction you need to move the hits; the rear sight moves in the same direction you need to move the hits) SORRY, I had to say that.

16. Goose52

Goose52 G&G Newbie

gyrene

You are indeed fortunate that your Argy is in such good shape since most of the ones that were imported were "well-used" !

On workmanship, remember that the butchered magazine and the welded muzzle cap was done by the importer . . . not by FN.

On the instruction manual, you can buy one from Northridge:
    http://www.northridgeinc.com/I_fnfal_fn49_parts.htm OR, if you have the patience (or a high-speed internet connection) you can download an FN-produced users manual, titled "F.N. Model 49 Self-Loading Rifle User's Manual," that has been posted on the web and is available at the below three links (note that these are BIG files). The manual has been split into 3 Acrobat/PDF files. The file sizes are 60K for the Table of Contents, 566K for the "a" file, 1.2Meg for the "b" file:
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/fn49/FN49a.PDF
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/fn49/FN49b.PDF
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/fn49/toc.PDF

The Northridge manual and the FN Manual are essentially identical so I recommend the download.

If you want to check out the 2 other Boards that I mentioned, go to the following links and search on "FN 49" - LOTS of info over there.
    http://pub42.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm52
    http://www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Headlines&BID=8&SID=1453643

I saw your response to my survey, thanks. You've put me up to 294 rifles in the data base. :D :D :D

Goose

17. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    tarheel - Thanks for your help in locating the 7.62 x 51 magazines. I received them today 4/15/2002 from the source you recommended. He didn't have many, so I doubt that he would sell any more.

The 2 that I received seem to fit in and lock into the magazine well, as intended. On Wednesday I will find out how they work at the range.

The source:
    (Check this dude out he may help you. http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/