Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around and found one of the very few Jersey legal FN FAL type rifles. A Century Arms rifle which appears to be made from surplus.
Also found one of the only Jersey Legal G3 types...a JLD PTR 91.

Anyone have any opinions about either design or rifle?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
be lilke "Jack".
Get one of each.
Design is similar.
HK design has a cool factor of 2 pts. more than FAL.
Built FAL-L1A1 from kit. Replaced parts with US complience stuff.
Have a G3 kit still in storage. Waiting for funds to complete. (an unimportant problem)
The FAL shoots great scoped. 3/4" @ 100yrds with 165s, 45 grns of IMR 4064. (2 1/2" w/ open sights) Took several feral hogs and one deer.
Pretty heavy to carry around for hunting.
Out-of-battery fired once with Chilean milsurp ammo. hmm? Been OK since.
Shot a friends scoped HK-91 a few years ago. SWEET! Consistant 1" groups. (Ammo, unknown) Far as I recall, the HK had a better trigger.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Both or decent shooters. I like the FAL over the G3 for the simple reason the FAL has an adjustable gas port. Can really help with barrel fouling, and bolt cycle. Also the FAL has the charging handle on the left side, and for me personally I like that factor as I can remain in a shooting position and still charge the weapon.
Is the FAL you’re looking at an inch or metric, also who manufactured the receiver?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I have the CETME version of the G3 and I have the STG58 FN FAL and I like them both equally, Both have left hand Chargers but the FN is easier to reach.
The FN is a touch better for accuracy, and Faster teardown for cleaning as well. My FN is a little lighter due to Composite stock and I like the adjustable gas system as well. Both are equally DEADLY and the same amount of firepower per Magazine. I think the FN has cheaper parts available than the
G3 / Cetme, so the Choice is up to you, I hope this gives you some insight!
Rich:wave:

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
G3 is more accurate. FAL is more reliable if put together correctly. G3 is more complicated mechanically.

Buy what feels best and which suits your style better. If you plan to use a scope I would say G3 for sure.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
G3 is more accurate. .
Accuracy is relevant to several factors we cannot determine without testing.
Barrel wear, Crown condition, Chamber and headspacing, Rifling, and shooter ability so you really can't say one is more accurate without testing !
Rich

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
You're right there. It would be better to say the G3 is more accurate by design. All that really means is that fewer dimensions are critical for accuracy, due to its design. DSA makes some precision FALs, but they have to control a lot more tolerances to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts