Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the gun store today and found a nice 8mm made by FN. I havent seen one before. Its in perfect shape. I'm familiar with other Mausers but not this one.
One thing that struck me immediately was how light it was. Its gotta kick hard.
Anyway its only $89.95 Any pros or cons about the FN? If its there tomorrow I think they can mark it sold.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,729 Posts
The FN's are very good Mausers - many premium Commercial Mausers were built on those actions. The FN Model 24 was one of the most popular "export Mausers", used by many of the second and third world armies. They were available in a variety of calibers, 8mm being a popular one.
You found a good 'un! Decent price, you'll be happy with it. Just check that bore to make sure the prior owners kept it clean. Most 8mm milsurp ammo is corrosive. A dark bore is okay, as long as the rifling is good and strong. :cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you shoot military surplus ammo, as Big Dog says, the majority of 8mm is corrosive. The culprit is the primer not the powder. I must say the powder in some of the Turkish stuff even smells bad though. Clean the bore of your rifle with a mixture of 50% household ammonia and 50% water. Run a soaked patch down the barrel and let is stay in the bore for about a minute. Then, clean with regular solvent. Some guys use Windex with ammonia, but a bottle of household ammonia is pretty cheap. If your wife/Mother/girlfriend has a bottle it gets cheaper. About every fourth time to the range I clean the bore with Sweet's but it's awfully strong. Again, I swabe the bore with regular solvent to neutralize the ammonia afterwards.
Indy

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Sounds likea super sweet deal. I paid $75 for an issued Czech M98/22 and think I got a great deal.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
what were you thinking??? for $90 that is a real steal locally a mil/surp mauser of any kind goes for beaucoup bucks no matter how rough it is.

is it in military condition or did Bubba do a number on it???

·
36,729 Posts
At our gunshow Saturday, I saw a bunch of Yugo M48 Mausers running at around $125, and a couple not-too-grungy mixed-part K98k's going for $199.
Turks have dried up, and the other Mauser variants are getting scarce.
That FN would be an easy $140-160 rifle here at our show. All the milsurps are starting to get more expensive. The numbers are dropping, we no longer see the tables full of them. I guess the third-worlders have emptied their warehouses?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its mine!

I was waiting at the gun store for them to open this morning and the FN was still there. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it looks perfect. Matching numbers, the bore looks brand new, no rust anywhere and almost 100% blueing. There are one or two very small scratches in the butt and I think they will disappear with a dab of linseed oil. No dings anywhere.
The biggest drawback is that I cant pick it up until the 23rd. It needs to set for 15 days to make sure it isnt stolen.
Its never been Bubba'd and I think I have a bayonet to fit it too. Not bad for less than $100!
I just love the Mauser action.This will make #6 in the collection.
Is it the 23rd yet? :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its mine

The gun store called me and said to pick it up. I have been sitting here examining it and took the stock off, dissassemble the bolt and just generally screwing around.
It just looks TOO nice to be a military surplus rifle! The blueing is 100% and looks more like the stuff on a Weatherby or high dollar Browning. After stripping it, I realized its all factory blueing. It has neat touches that arent on my other Mausers. Wherever glare could be a problem with the sights, its not blued but looks like its Parkerized.
The way the bolt is blued looks very cool with the shiny metal extractor/controlled round feed gizmo and I like the way the back of the bolt is blued instead of shiny like the others. Even the safety is Parkerized for glare reduction.
The stock is walnut and has never been refinished. There are traces of what looks like a shellac in the areas that dont get much handling.
The bolt even had cosmoline left in it! I think I found me a keeper.
The bolt is absolutely the smoothest and the lockup is so perfect that it makes my Swedish Mausers come in second place. I never thought that would happen.
Range day tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
blankety-blank nice blankety-blank rifle there Snak blankety-blank blank blank.

about 20 years ago local mil/surp shop had a bunch of these absolutly perfect like yours, but i didn't have the $100 to spare. you my friend have got one hell of a deal. :right:

·
36,729 Posts
Super deal! That rifle will give you lot's of enjoyment. 8mm is easy to load for, so you could tailor some rounds just for it. :)

Those 'tween-war Mausers are just so cool. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts