Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tell me all about it :)

I just made a Monster Trade and ended up with a nice one!
However, I know NOTHING about FN-Herstal shotguns...
Other than its a 12-G with M16 sights front & rear,
and the MOE grip was an add-on from the previous owner...
Was told it uses Winchester 1300 parts in the receiver...answer to that is Mostly ;)
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Shotgun

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

· Registered
12,742 Posts
from what I can see inside the receiver it does use 1300 parts.
depending on the age.
it could be old style 1300 or new style 1300 parts.
they changed the bolt lugs and barrel stuff a few years back.
even with the change some [not many] of the parts will swap back and forth.

· Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
Top name company, with much experience in military contract weapons. Should be a good 'un!

· Wonderment :)
36,844 Posts
big shrek: Sir; :) Mighty fine shopping :)

https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/05/17/fn-herstal-tactical-police-shotgun-review/

The FN Herstal pump action tactical police shotgun is based upon the Winchester 1300 action, which is a time tested and reliable pump action system. This shotgun comes from the factory with a variety of features that make it well suited for both police work and home defense. Those are a collapsible stock, a pistol grip, ghost ring sights, a ported barrel, improved cylinder choke, an accessory rail, and an an 8 round magazine. The gun is coated with a corrosion resistant material, similar but not identical to that used on the Remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum. Basically, this is a feature packed, reliable shotgun that is well suited for home defense and police use.

Build Quality
The build quality in the FN Herstal pump action tactical police shotgun is high. The action is smooth, and the parts of the shotgun fit together perfectly. The only issue I experienced was that the pistol grip became lose after I fired a few dozen 3″ magnum slugs and a similar number of 00 buckshot shells. Upon inspection, I found that the screw which attaches the pistol grip to the shotgun was loosening, so I tightened it. The same thing happened after about another 70 shells, so I applied a couple drops of thread locker and the problem has not repeated itself. Since I bought this shotgun used, I can’t comment as to whether it came from the factory with thread locker properly applied, but either way the $5 for a large tube of thread locker and 2 minutes it took to apply was not a big deal.

· Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,484 Posts
The only issue I experienced was that the pistol grip became lose after I fired a few dozen 3″ magnum slugs and a similar number of 00 buckshot shells. Upon inspection, I found that the screw which attaches the pistol grip to the shotgun was loosening, so I tightened it. The same thing happened after about another 70 shells, so I applied a couple drops of thread locker and the problem has not repeated itself.
LOL--had to chuckle when I read this--shooting a bunch of magnum slugs and mag buckshot.

Perhaps the gun was trying to tell the shooter something........

· Wonderment :)
36,844 Posts
information:

https://hyperleap.com/topic/FN_Herstal

Herstal Group
Groupe Herstal S.A.
Fabrique Nationale Herstal (National Factory Herstal), self-identified as FN Herstal and often referred to as Fabrique Nationale or simply FN, is a leading firearms manufacturer located in Herstal, Belgium, owned by the holding company Herstal Group which is in turn owned by the regional government of Wallonia. FN Herstal is a member of the Belgian Herstal Group, which also owns U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester) and Browning Arms Company.
Herstal Group is the parent company of small-arms brands manufacturing companies FN Herstal, U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester) and Browning Arms Company.

FN HerstalBrowning Arms CompanyWinchester Repeating Arms CompanyU.S. Repeating Arms CompanyLiège
Winchester Repeating Arms Company
WinchesterNew Haven Arms CompanyWinchester Repeating Arms
FN Herstal is a member of the Belgian Herstal Group, which also owns U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester) and Browning Arms Company.
The Winchester brand is owned by the Olin Corporation and the name is used under license by two subsidiaries of the Herstal Group: Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Belgium and the Browning Arms Company of Ogden, Utah.

· Registered
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Range Report: OMG! I like shotguns again!!

Went to the Santa Rosa Shooting Center on Sunday!
Only brought a box of 25 because it was just for a quick test...went to the patterning board...Yeah, it'll do ;) 30 yards gave a nice average 14" pie-plate-like spread with 7 &1/2 shot.

That ghost ring rear sight coupled with the Orange Hi-Viz Paint I dabbed onto the front sight worked really well!!

Its action was smooth, smoother than I remember the 870 being.
Only downside was the rear stock...found out why FNH dropped that M4-style...it beats your face. Doesn't matter how tight you pull in, doesn't matter how firm the cheek weld...the ridge on the tube is going to get ya! Needs some kind of a wrap or cheek piece.

Easy way around that is to slap a Green Laser on it and just point it where ya need. It'd be just as accurate as the sights...and probably quicker. No cheek weld needed, just pull it into your shoulder and eyeball it.

Also, I'd never been down the Shotgun area before, the staff there were very helpful, and gave me quick training refresher to get me back up to speed on Pump Shotguns :)

· Registered
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only mechanical downside I've found to these shotguns is particular to this version...the trigger guard assembly. It's plastic. Someone really needs to CNC a metal replacement, which would be a very smart move, as FNH no longer makes that part. Might be right up DIP's alley ;)

Reactions: neophyte

· Registered
1 Posts
The TPS, as stated ia based on the 1300 Winchester receiver. The stock, the stocks high mount, top rail, receiver extention bar and sights are all unique to the TPS.
The follower cab ve changed with an aftermarket with little modification to ensure fit and capacity.
The action is smooth enough to eject the spent shell after firing.
The receiver extension I a solid bar. It helps balance the gun buy by increasing weight. O removed mine installed magpul gen 1 UBR stock to decrease some weight I added with upgrades.
I added a rail section that that clamps the mag tube to the barrel. Slings attach to 1bside and I have a OTAL-C green vis laser on the right. Sling used a CQD mk18 clash hook style attachment point
Additionally I've mounted a c-more red dot on it. It's heavy, but is still balanced and the weight doesn't bear less perceived recoil..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.