Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fair warning: I'm VERY new to ARs. After research that includes skimming through forum posts here, I have concluded that one would be hard pressed to find a folding stock that's compatible with an AR platform. Am I right in this assumption? If so, is there some inherent design element of ARs that make a folding stock undesirable?

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
You are correct. The AR design has a spring loaded buffer tube, behind the bolt, that is enclosed in the butt stock.

Thus, the stock can not be folded.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
4,243 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for lending your expertise, guys! I've been thinking down the line about building myself a truck gun that I can also easily use to hunt occasionally, which is why I'm considering portability of the rifle package pretty heavily. Ten Man's post also explains why collapsible stocks are a thing with ARs, as the stock can still be shrunk as short as the spring system. I'll take these things into consideration, when I put together the rig!

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Ten Man is correct. There is however an adaptor. I would have a hard time trusting such a device though! Also the weapon can't be fired with the stock folded. A buddy of mine has one or one like the one at the link on his AR, it functioned while we were on the range.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...6-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx
"and a setscrew keeps the adapter securely affixed to the receiver."

Riiiiiiiiggghhhttt.

I wouldn't trust it, either.

Reactions: Brandhard

·
Premium Member
24,519 Posts
Thanks for lending your expertise, guys! I've been thinking down the line about building myself a truck gun that I can also easily use to hunt occasionally, which is why I'm considering portability of the rifle package pretty heavily. Ten Man's post also explains why collapsible stocks are a thing with ARs, as the stock can still be shrunk as short as the spring system. I'll take these things into consideration, when I put together the rig!

You might look into the possibility of going with an AR in the pistol configuration or in a short barreled rifle configuration. (SBR) Several forum members are familiar with all the ins and outs and the slightly different legalities involved. That would begat you a compact portable package.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Saw a AR pistol the other day that had a bi-pod attached. I gave the guy the screw ball eye brow raise and he explained how adding a forward grip was verboten, so he installed a folding bi-pod instead that he could hold onto while firing. I guess if there's a will, and so-on.

Rules are really just for the honest!!

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Ten Man is correct. There is however an adaptor. I would have a hard time trusting such a device though! Also the weapon can't be fired with the stock folded. A buddy of mine has one or one like the one at the link on his AR, it functioned while we were on the range.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...6-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx
Law Tactical folding adapter....but they aren't cheap.

Ha your ar15 would still shoot with the stock folded... once. And then it would be kaput lol.

If you want an actual useable side folding stock for the AR platform (where the gun still works with it closed) you need a piston AR.

Reactions: Ten Man and ChaZam

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
If you want a decent "AR15 style" gun with a side folder you could get a Sig MCX. (its actually a piston type gun but all of it's controls etc are all the same as the AR15.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Ha your ar15 would still shoot with the stock folded... once. And then it would be kaput lol.

If you want an actual useable side folding stock for the AR platform (where the gun still works with it closed) you need a piston AR.

Are we africans wearing life preservers and sandals?

Who shoots with stock folded? lol

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Are we africans wearing life preservers and sandals?

Who shoots with stock folded? lol

It can be a valid tactic for engaging close in targets from inside a vehicle where space is limited as a break contact option. After that you want to get the stock unfolded if it's not already as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Brandhard
1 - 13 of 13 Posts