Food plants that do not look like food

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Some Irish Guy, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Been curious about leaning to plant my own food beyond a fruit tree for awhile now, and the older folks around my town are willing to teach me in exchange for a young back pulling weeds or hauling dirt but there is a question none of them can answer. It all started after eating dinner at my sisters, (Ha! She can't read this here) and grew on to this: what food plants, if any, don't look like something the average person would consider tasty or food at all? (If they are secretly delicious thats even better)
    Besides eggplant, that isn't food its evil in plant form.

Reading this I realise I should explain better, most everyone knows what corn looks like granted but almost as many can then walk through a field of peanuts or those little squash things and be none the wiser.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

food plants, that do not look like food...canned spinich that lost its label???

thats a tough one.i assume you are talking about cultivated garden plots.

egg plant is delicious. my mom peeled cubed boiled egg plant, mashed it mixed in salt and pepper, spooned it into the frying pan, fried till crispy on both sides. i do not know if she used shortening or bacon grease. but it was sooo tasty.

3. Ha, thats pretty much the response I got.

If need be a 'garden' looking lot but thinking more like an impromptu testing ground to see what animals do with it, how well I can grow it and such.
    Things like potatoes, peanuts, or anything dosn't immediately scream to passers by that its tasty by virtue of being in the ground or looking odd.

4. PAPA G

let me see if i understand, a potato plant does'nt show the potato above, ground, a peanut plant does'nt show the peanut above ground.

something that does'nt look like food to the average 2 or 4 legged varmint.

am i close?

5. Yes, I apologize for not being more clear in my original post, I'm bad about that. And you said it better than I, something that dosn't look like food focusing more on the two legged type of varmint, assume Joe Blow type of person.

Looking at the link, Thank You! Thats quite a list.

6. I would say the first thing that comes to mind is Oats. Oats look like grass. If they were in a field lets say 10 years negelected you would have a hard time picking them out of the weeds.

Maple syrup has to be tapped out of a Sugar Maple tree.

Im thinking this is what you meant.

7. Yupper, that is exactly what I meant, though sad for me I havn't seen any of those trees down here.

8. You can eat acorns but the tannic acid in them will cause liver failure. Better to chop them up and boil them for about 20 minutes first. But eventually this will cause problems anyway. Ok in a survival situation but not for everyday.

Almost all of a dandelion can be eaten. The young leaves can be eaten in a salad raw, or parboiled and wilted like cooked spinich (change the water twice to remove bitterness).
    The flowers can be boiled and fermented into wine.
    The roots can be dried, ground and used to make a coffee substitute without caffine.

They are high in vitamin E. And other minerals and vitamins.
    Be sure to pick them from areas not sprayed with pesticides.

Here is a reciepe.

Fried blooms
    Young blooms without much stem
    1 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    hot cooking oil
    1 1/2 c. flour
    pepper and garlic powder to taste
    Pick the blooms, and rinse in cool, lightly salted water. (Salt removes bitterness)
    Try to have only the blooms, removing any stems, which can increase bitterness. Dry the blooms by patting with paper towels, then dip each in a batter made of 1 egg, beaten, with 1 cup milk, 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic powder, mixing until the batter is sticky but still a little thin. Vary the amount of flour as needed. Put the battered blooms into deep hot fat (375 degrees) and fry until lightly browned. If needed, salt and pepper to taste.

Is that what you are looking for?

9. Cattails if they are in your area the roots can be boiled and have a taste similiar to potatos, th eunopened blooms can be steamed and taste very much like cabbage, Daddilions when young and tender have a sweet peppery taste but when old are tough and un-appesing so use care

10. Capt'n Mil Coll That'll fit the bill of what I was looking for and since the things grow nearly year round exactly where I don't want them to be it'll be easy enough to try. Had heard of the acorns though in the sense of making a flour or paste for bread and baiting respectively, havn't been brave enough to try either yet.

ezearln
    Yes indeed, there is a whole mess of cattail where I plan to test what plants I can out, infact I can probably pick up some today clearing brush.

Thank you both.

11. I'm assuming that this is about food supplies that wouldn't be recognizable by the average Joe...? Dandelions are a great suggestion and I'm sure one of many...I hadn't thought about these type of food resources, but will research. By the way, great recipe, but in a SHTF situation, I doubt I'll have my deep fryer or my measuring cups :). (j/k,
    Cappy)
    Oh...and most things I cook don't resemble anything edible, so I guess I have a leg up in this situation! Lol

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  12. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

We have cabbage plams , and stinging nettles both are good eaten too.

13. PAPA G

there is also Poke Salit:)

the the early growth of what is called the Ink Berry plant:ugh:

14. Lambs quarters are good too if you kin find em!

15. Out of curiosity I looked up the Ink Berry Plant, we have those in a lotta places and I instantly remembered my father telling me to not mess with them. I imagine alot of boiling is in order to make them safe?

16. PAPA G

i never tried to pick and eat them, but one day while waddling down the canned veggies in Kroger i saw canned Poke. so i bought it and tried it, very bland and tastless imo. haven't seen it since.

17. Wild West

Wild West G&G Addict

Stinging Nettles are good to eat? How do you prepare them?

18. Wild West

Wild West G&G Addict

I was taking a trail ride on the Mtn with a group of girls and they had to go Pee. I said just go over there behind that bunch of trees. They were gone for a little while and then I heard some hollering , wow that's hot , holy [email protected] my *** in on fire,etc. When they got closer they started cussing me out. I asked what the hell the hollering was about. They said when they crouched down to go they started getting hot butts . 1 showed me her butt with red welts all over it. I walked over and there were sting nettles all over where they went. I was laughing . They did not think it was funny. Now there I would have eaten some sting nettles.

19. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

You blanch them first knock the stickers down (not so stiff) then cook'm like greens bacon or salt pork fried with garlic an onions then cook till tender( in water ) .