Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into an SKS (i cant make up my mind lol) because their so cheap!:) I was wondering though, I live in Nebraska and was wondering what the laws were for customizing an SKS.- Ex. a synthetic stock, 30rd mags, scope and etc. Does anyone know about these?? Also I heard with the 30rd mags they might require some modification to the rifle. Is this true and if so would I have to do anything If i bought a dif stock. Any idears!?
-Thanks alot guys.
-Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depending on where you live and the import date on the firearm you have to be carefull customising it. If you get a Yougo and want to customise it you have to do the 10 forign parts or less game. The Yougo was imported as a curio and relick and can not be customised unless you play by the rules. If you decide to purchase an other type of sks mainly one before the import ban on assault type weapons you can do anything you like to it. Be carefull and post picts when you get her!

ed

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
You can't "do anything you want" to just any SKS, no matter when it was imported. If it wasn't in a certain configuration when the import ban hit, you can't put it in such a configuration, no matter when it was imported, UNLESS you play the 10 or less parts game. During the '94 AW Ban, you couldn't do it no matter how many US parts were in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx guys, if i were to purchase one at a pawn shop or such, with nothing done to it, would i be able to put a synthetic stock and scope on it ex.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/SKS0300.html all that law info is jibberish to a 16yr old lol, i was just wonderin. i may just buy my cousins mini 14 just cuz the .223 rounds are a heck of a lot cheaper than 7.62's.
-Thanks,mike

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Aftermarket stocks like that are junk! you best off sticking to original SKS stuff. its strong and sturdy. the mini 14 is fun but people i know have a lot of problems with them. but to answer your Q YES you can put stuff on it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
When it comes to the SKS, I am a firm believing in leaving them alone and appreciating the all natuaral look, like a nice woman. YOu don't need to botox, tummy tuck, or face lift baby, you are just fine how you are.:loveydove

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
sks mods

yep leave it alone! spend your money on ammo!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx alot, i was just thinking about that incase a used ones wooden stock was banged up pretty bad. I could do a little wood work. My cuz's mini 14 is awesome, i put about 200rds through it with no jams misfires etc. dead on iron sights too so i might purchase that. Also i like the range of dif mags for the mini. the sks from what i hear is just pretty much supposed to be left alone with the 10rd mags. But, I can jabber on and on, what i really need is some mulah ;)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
depending on the state you live in an AK is always an option. MAK 90's are great for a little more money than a WASR 10. i have handled a WASR 10 and i thought the feel was okay. just i like my mak more :D
Also if you have extra money an M70 YUgo rifle with a fixed or underfolder is a good choice.
Just dont get a bulgarian milled, right NRAjoe ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah. Im on a kind of tight budget. Im saving for a truck but i really want a rifle lol, its a want/need kinda thing haha. i see lots of goodies on the net, but i cant spend a fortune to have it shipped to a gun store then to me. So im jjust looking at pawn shops and such. But most sks' i see are like $300 :eek: and on the net their like 150 so i dont know what that deal is ha. about the mini 14 though, what would that be like for hunting? would it be worth a shot, varmits and deer? i know the caliber is a right one, but the gun, and idears?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Mike454 said:
So im jjust looking at pawn shops and such. But most sks' i see are like $300 :eek: and on the net their like 150 so i dont know what that deal is ha.
the DEAL is that SOMEONE has to pay rent ;)

i dont think the mini 14 would be the perfect hunting weapon. But if you are looking for a fun CHEAP plinker and great hunter, it would be a mosin nagant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive heard lots about those, i havent seen one around me. On the internet I see they are VERY cheap as you said. Though the stocks look like their banged up, is there much you can do to buffer it out or maybe stain the wood, heck i dunno ha. Im sure theirs a few with good stocks. What is the caliber of the Mosin? And if I purchased one what would it take to scope it? Thx again Marine for helpin me out here.
-Mike

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
7.62x54R is the caliber. If you look around you wlil probably find one in cood condition. It depends what kind of scope. The Mosin doesnt need a scope as much as you might think but whatever you choose. I have never scoped a mosin. look in the Mosin Nagant forum. lots of good help there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thx alot! for what ill do i probably wont need one, i plan to shoot crap and perhaps hunt. im sure i'll end up with the mini 14 though, but thx for all the recomendations
-mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts