For the hunters are you stocked with rifle caliber ammo & slugs?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rando, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Haven't hunted for 7 or 8 years, but I'm still well stocked on hunting ammo and reloading supplies.

ChaZam, rando and TXplt like this.
  2. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Enthusiast

For folks that reload slugs, the Lee molds make it pretty easy. I have both the 7/8 and 1 ounce. After casting you just stuff them in a shot cup and load like a regular heavy field load. Once you have the mold and press, very cheap to load. I do not load shot shells, just bought the cheap loader for slugs. A couple guys could go together and save bunches. They are also more fun to shoot when they are cheap. IMHO
    https://leeprecision.com/1-oz-slug-mold.html
    https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Shotshell-Reloading-Press/dp/B000NTKD28

ChaZam, Dutch, jerry and 3 others like this.

3. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I don't want to hear a definition of "stocked". My wife might overhear.

ChaZam, rando, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  4. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

I went to one of my local gun stores today and they had a huge amount of Hornady SST rounds in 30-06. My Remington 670 loves that round so I picked up 5 boxes. Already have 8-10 boxes at home.

Bigfoot, ChaZam, jerry and 2 others like this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

I'm good to go on everything I shoot,my family member's could probably use my gun's & ammo stockpile's for several decades after I'm gone before they'd need to buy or load anymore.
    What can I say,I get bored since I decided to just take the year off with all this Covid crap going on,and I set out in the shop and load ammo all the time.

ChaZam, rangerjd, rando and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The way things are going you may see a gasoline shortage. Tires and Jeep parts antifreeze. The Nation is spiraling out of control. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bigfoot, ChaZam, rangerjd and 2 others like this.
  7. quavodus

quavodus G&G Enthusiast

Moss,Tn.
    I don't have a whole lot of rifle ammo at the moment but, am going to load some up in a little while.

ChaZam, blaster and rando like this.
  8. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    I try to have at least 200 rounds of every game caliber I own guns for.

.30-06
    7mm
    300 WBY
    .22-250

ChaZam, rangerjd, blaster and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Reckon that .22-250 will come in handy controlling the whistle pig and coyote crowd on your new land.

Off your porch.

ChaZam and ACfixer like this.
  10. eastbank

eastbank G&G Evangelist

i have enough for me for at least 20 or so years and if i,m alive after that i have casting molds. i went from a ammo hoarder to a hero to my shooting buddies.

Txhillbilly, ChaZam, rangerjd and 4 others like this.
  11. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    Hahaha well as far as hunting on my property I'll probably restrict it to .22LR, shotguns, and arrows. I can shoot the big guns there, but you know the thing about knowing your backdrop... firing a .22-250 off of my porch I'd probably kill a neighbor's cow. I have some good topography for shooting, it's just that animals rarely position themselves between me and that dirt berm.

Last time I was there I was clearing the area between a nice tree about 20 yards from the game trails. Think Hoyt, not Winchester. :p

ChaZam, rangerjd, Ranger4 and 3 others like this.
  12. I'm stocked up with enough loaded ammo and components to last me for the rest of my life.

Txhillbilly, ChaZam, rangerjd and 7 others like this.
  13. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Good on slugs here in the flat lands.
    Normally only need one or two. I’d buy a box (5) Lightfield 20’s every year, use one or two then one or two out of the old box the next season to verify zero

This season will be iffy if I even get to hunt. Let’s just say cluster-bleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

ChaZam, rangerjd, Ranger4 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jaison

Hope you get a few days, jerry. Don’t walk in your mocs, but I sympathize.

ChaZam, rangerjd, TXplt and 1 other person like this.
  15. jerry

USA
    Thanks Jaison. Looking forward to living vicariously through you and others. Get out there and get ‘er done!

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

ChaZam, rangerjd, blaster and 2 others like this.
  16. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Jerry I hope you get away for at least a few days to hunt. You sometimes just need that peace and quietness away even if you dont bring back the meat. Jerry I have plenty of 12 and 20 gauge slugs but bought more today when I was out. They are the federal and only 1oz. slugs as I mostly use and not sabots. They had Federal 15 round boxes at Walmart today for $10 a box. I grabbed three just for the heck of it the way things are going.

ChaZam, jerry and TXplt like this.
  17. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I know most guys reload but some dont and use factory ammo in some calibers. I am not sure if you all know it but you can buy Direct from Federal Ammo online. They also have most handgun and rifle calibers all in stock. Prices are not too hurtful by the way. Ii think they even have 9mm which is gone in most places

18. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

My sediments exactly. The older I get the lighter I want. So, My (pre-mil) Sav99F in 250/3000 is my chosen one. SWEET! :usa2:

ChaZam and rangerjd like this.
  19. Jaison

Just left Sportsman’s. Must have gotten there shortly after the shelves got stocked because there were .243 and .30-06 on the shelves.

Grabbed a couple boxes of each and 4 boxes of Rio 12 gauge slugs.

Added to the stash back in the lair and the .308 coming in soon (hopefully), I’m feeling a little less stressed about this hunting season.

...And long range zombie eradication, if required.

ChaZam, rangerjd, rando and 1 other person like this.
  20. jerry

USA
    It’s iffy
    In as short as possible. My buddies daughter passed and neither of us put in for draw as it wasn’t a priority

I got with my brother and we both applied for late season muzzle loader tags.
    We were trying for Jim Edgar DNR site. He got drawn for a secondary and i accidentally chose EDGAR COUNTY as opposed to Jim Edgar State fish and wild life area. I know no one in Edgar county. :(

I may be able to buy an over the counter tag for second gun season. That depends on if my fiends farmer buddy will let me hunt with him on his land.

I guess my back up is to break out the bow. That takes a lot of time and dedication and I haven’t shot for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

ChaZam, Huey Rider, rangerjd and 2 others like this.