Forming .243 from LC 7.62x51

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by cold queso, Sep 16, 2010.

1. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

I've had good success loading for 308 win using LC 7.62x51 brass and reducing the powder load a couple of grains.

Has anyone tried making 243 Winchester from LC brass? How much should I trim off prior to running through the resizing die?

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Never tried it but know the milspec would take a slightly reduced charge because of reduced capacity.Also milspec casings are sometimes not annealed or annealed different so the neck/shoulder is harder/tougher.I emagine the primers are crimped so you need to swage the pocket.

3. My dad use to do this back in the 60's and early 70's. You have to turn the necks as well as reduce the charge, or at least he did. Don't think at the time he trimmed the cases, but over time I know he used a file and trim die on them.

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I would think that they would be short on casing OAL due to the extra you would put in the shoulder,and,yes,you would probably have to turn the neck.I believe a lighter case would be easier to work with,like a commercial rem or win.However which ever it was (mil or com) I would not attempt to go down on bore using a fired case without annealing the shou;lder/neck.

5. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Thanks guys. I've got an unending supply of LC and already swage the primer pockets for my 308 loads.

Guess I'll get the water and torch going and anneal the necks and try some this weekend. I will report back...

6. Sam not real sure about the length at the time as I was in diapers when he was doing this, and I haven't spoke to him on the matter as of yet. I do know that the last time he messed with them he did run them through the file and trim die. And that was in the 80's. I myself have only loaded comercial brass for the 243, and have no actual experience with forming those. In fact the only experience I have in forming brass is fire forming 7-30 Waters cases from 30-30 brass and doing the same going from 22-250 to 250 Savage brass. As for annealing the brass he I do remember him making mention of having done this but I don't know what for. When I call him over the weekend I'll find out and let you know what he did when he was doing it. He hasn't loaded for his 243 since the 80's, as he is "gun poor" and has too many other irons in the fire since I keep buying him different caliber rifles as I can afford to.

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^annealing makes the shoulder/neck much easier to work and prevents cracks and dents,altho most denting comes right out.

8. Am on the phone right now with dad and he said that if he remembers right he annealed, turned the necks and trimmed the cases.

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i would tend to agree, necking down from .308 to .243 is a good bit, and using thick military brass the likelyhood of having to neck turn is very real.

10. res45

res45 G&G Addict

I got a pile of free once fired LC brass worked out great for making 300 Sav. case for my Sav. 99 just had to anneal,reform and trim down to proper length.

I didn't have to turn the necks any even my .311 cast bullets chamber easily. I'm just neck sizing and using these for my cast bullet loads.

[​IMG]

11. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

It would be cheaper to go buy 50-100 NEW Winchester .243 cases in the long run...saving time is saving money , plus, they would have the correct headstamp.

12. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

My thoughts as well.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

As I recall .300sav is .308".Since .308win is .308" I wouldn't think neck turning would be absolutely necessary.However,reducing a .308" ID down to .243 ID might possibly thicken the neck walls to where it either wouldn't chamber or if it did chamber wouldn't have space enough in the chamber to expand enough to allow adequate bullet release making it really,really dangerous to shoot.Any time you go larger like .308 to .323 or .338 you are thinning the neck wall,but when you go down like .308 to .264 or in this case .243 you are thickening the neck wall.This is also why annealing is required.It just isn't as easy to go down as up and milspec makes it even harder.It can be done but you might be able to trade brass too.