Found '98 carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JackT, May 13, 2002.

1. JackT

JackT Guest

I have been brousing for Garands lately and ran across a 1998 Krag Carbine with a 1900 cartouche on the stock. Have the Krags been put all togather from different rebuilds like the Garands? The guy wanted 350 for the carbine. Input appreciated.

2. bob

bob Guest

i have a verified '98 carbine, in researching i learned that most of them aren't, they are just fake. what's the serial number, that's the first thing that will tell. then what does the front sight look like, is it brazed INTO the barrel?

3. JackT

JackT Guest

Didn't know till today to look at the frontsight. The serial number is in the 238XXX range. thanks

4. Hal Beatty

Hal Beatty Guest

JackT,
    Are you sure the receiver says Model 1898? If so, you're likely looking at a cut-down rifle, as by the time serial 238??? was produced any carbines being made were Model 1899. The stock cartouche date of 1900 sounds about right for that serial number, so if you look closely, you might find that the forend has been cut down. As Bob says, check the way the front sight is attached to the barrel.
    Unfortunately, "real" Model 1898 Carbines can be very hard to document, and as fewer of them were made than any of the other carbines, you have to be wary of fakes.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

5. JackT

JackT Guest

Sorry to take so long, but I've done a little research. Serial Number is 249647. No place for a saddle ring. Wood at back looks like a place for a sling. The front band looks like it has been cut about half way down and no wood forward of the band. Front sight is brazed into the barrel, not just an 03 sight. Rear sight is attached to right side of receiver and covers the serial number over and loops back over the barrell, kinda like a smashed in G. Yep, looks like a cut down rifle. Is it possible it is a '98 carbine barrell/receiver group on cut down rifle wood? Probably not. But hey, you know until this I knew nothing about a Krag. The pics on the Krag collectors sight and oldguns.com, along with you all's help was really neat. Learning this stuff has been fun, Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2002