Found a Bushmaster, but would like (gulp) opinions..

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Paper, May 3, 2008.

1. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I found a barely used Bushmaster A2. Model XM15-E2S
    It's a HBAR that's 11.5" long, with the permanantly mounted flash hider that puts it out to the legal 16" limit. It's also got a 3 sided accessory mount in the front.
    Like this, only with the 3 sided picany rail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alright..
    Is the shorter barrel something that would affect shootability? Accuracy?
    The gun's spotless, and has had very few shots through it.. Should I look into this further, or move on?
    Thoughts?:feedback:

Bud's Gunshop has em' for $950, and I can get this for $100 less..

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My biggest concern would be the short sight radius - but if you need something compact, it could work for you. Maybe a slight loss of velocity - won't matter much within a couple hundred yards.

3. Paper

LOL.. I'm laughing at the one word in your statement that cracks me up about this purchase..
    NEED:09:

In reality, I don't need anything..:34: It's only a semi "want" issue, to tell you the truth.. I "plan" on buying one now, before you can't buy one later.. It will get shot and enjoyed, but in truth it'll be a plinking toy that I'm buying almost in spite..

Chances are I'd toss a RedDot or something on that line on it, so the sight radius wouldn't be an issue. I've checked reviews on this gun and can't find anything bad about it. I just thought I'd ask those who've had experience with AR's to chime in on the reduced barrel length..

I kinda like the short stature of the weapon, actually.. It's a little different looking, which actually appeals to me for some reason. :09:

Also, I've noticed that the typical AR has pretty much the same length between the front and rear sights as this shorty barreled weapon has. Here's a pic of a standard 16" barreled rifle.

Also, I'm only here to learn, and my asking questions is part of that.. PLEASE feel free to correct me with correct info.. My mind is open to suggestions and opinions on this matter.. Truth be told, I've never fired a AR type rifle in my life, and I've fired thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo over 30+ years of gun ownership.

I'm all ears!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i personally wouldnt buy, unless it was much cheaper. if your going to have a 16"barrel, have 16 inches of useable barrel.

5. Pred

Pred Guest

Unless you REALLY want this gun, I would pass.

6. Paper

Ok.. But I really desire the reason why I should pass.

I have no problem passing.. I'm still kicking around the $720 A3 Double Star at AIM, anyway.. Just wondered why you feel I should pass..

And Lefty, I completely agree.. Like I said, I'm here to learn..:)

7. Pred

Pred Guest

For starters, it's an A2. The price is about the same, and a flat top allows you SO many more choices when it comes to optics and iron sights. Secondly, practicality. This is why I said unless you really want that gun, to pass. There would be a huge different in what an 11.5" barrel and a 16" barrel is capable of. Your still paying $850 for a used gun. You could build a brand new one for that, with some money left over depending of if you kept it simple.

8. I would pass. Go with the flat top, you can get a NIB Bushy M4gery for 850+/-. The 11.5 barrel and 4.5 FS doesn't make sense to me.

9. Paper

Gotcha...
    I was thinking flattop for the options also, but the A2 actually is what I'm after.. A handle. Peep sights. And still have the option of adding onto it.

Anyway, Again, thank you for the info.. I'm in complete agreement with you, and will look elsewhere, and probably towards the Double Star A3 at AIM.

I'm trying to keep the gun and the farkles for it under a grand. The DoubleStar at AIM would leave me $300 to play with, get me a flat top, and a full 16" barrel.
    [​IMG]

Again, Thanks!!! It's the info I was after... I was questioning the gun for the same reasons.

10. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

yea go get a new one for that price . and like they say get a fulle barrel with a regular bird cage muzzle brake.

11. at4rxj

at4rxj G&G Newbie

I've heard really good things about the doublestar ar's... I would personally prefer that over the one you listed first.

12. Pred

Pred Guest

I uhh.. had 3 Double Star lowers and the upper I used on my first build was from Double Star. The fit/finish on them is as good as any you'll find. I say had due to the tragic boating accident....

13. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ok Noob question of the month goes to me.

Can someone please explain the difference between an HBAR and a normal barrel?
    And why is it in some states that HBAR AR15s are NOT considered "regulated" weapons (at least in MD) while non HBAR ar15s are.

14. Paper

As a Noob also, I'll try to answer part of it. If I'm wrong, I EXPECT the correct answer from a knowledgable person..

HBAR is nothing more than a full heavy barrel with no tapers or cutout sections. My guess is that they don't regulate them because you can't put a (guessing here) grenade launcher on them..

How did I do?:feedback:

15. I have that Bushmaster Carbine with the 16" barrel and it is accurate and dependable. You'll love it.

16. Paper

Thanks, but I reversed gears and actually purchased a CMMG upper and lower (and stuff).. The whole shebang should be in tomorrow..

17. You are better off. I had a Bushy and hated it. The timing was off, threw rounds badly to the left. I sent it in to Bushmaster and they couldn't find the problem the first time, I had to send it in a second time and request they test fire it. They finally fixed it... but I had lost confidence in them. I sold it upon return.

18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Paper, me lad.... I appreciate the thing about 'need'. :09:

I have lots of guns I didn't need, but sure have fun with them!

Being a MC rider, I can also appreciate a short rifle. I have a good 30" case, so am always checking on rifles that fit it. I can strap it on back of my bike pretty easy. :scool:

If ya want it, get it! It'll be fun, and you can always sell later if needs be.

Dang - there's the 'N' word again.... :)

19. Paper

I actually went with this https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ar15-m16/52152-ok-another-route-cmmg-parts.html instead.. In reality, it's the same length, but a full 16" barrel..

Parts will be here tomorrow, but since I'm in IL, I'll have a 24 hour waiting period before taking it home to put together this weekend..

Pics to follow..:09:

20. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've got a Bushmaster varminter, with heavy 24" barrel, and love it! I've always gone with the old saw, " the more barrel you got, the more accurate you shoot". And mine has a convertible carry handle, that's been in the drawer since I bought the rifle. I mounted a 4.5 to 14X40 Nikon Mildot scope on it, and have a nail driving semi-auto shooter!