close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Found a M1 Carbine shopping Garands

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JackT, Apr 22, 2002.

1. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

As a new Garand owner I caught the bug bad, read Duff's books and have been thououghly caught up in my new acquistition. I find myself going to gun stores and pawn shops. While doing this I stumbled on an M1- Carbine, Winchester 5824799, Inland MGC General Motors 1-44 Barrell with importer's stamp "Blue Sky Arlington, VA. " Great head space and no throat erosion. 5 tests rounds, and it cycled fine. Bright shiney bore with great rifling.
    Any thing to look out for? Seemed like a good deal for 800, had him hold it. Help guys, Carbine lit on the way. It's on hold 3 days.

JackT

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Sounds good Jack. Carbines are great fun,years ago I had a Plainfield,great shooter,this weekend I got a IAI,haven't got to shoot it yet. The only thing to watch for is magazines,some of the non-GI don't always function good,especially the 30 rounders. And if you do use 30 rd. mags,it's not a bad idea to get a M-2 mag release,although I never had a problem. Oh,and don't use grease,use oil.

3. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Thanks for the help. Any websites like for the Garand about serial number ranges? I read Duff on the Garand, but just ordered the book on the carbine. Waiting again. JT

4. militarianut

militarianut G&G Newbie

WOW

I don't know what shape it's in but I would say that that is WAY to much for a import carbine! $800 you could get a nice non import for that. -myers

5. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Talked him down to 600 and bought it. Seems to shoot high. What is this about filing down the front sight. It does not seem to want to adjust low enough. JackT

6. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

DONT FILE IT!wrong way! if you have to raise the front sight.

7. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Thanks, don't know what I was thinking. Gotta keep my physics in mind.
    JackT