close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Found a pair.

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by blue fox, Aug 10, 2017.

1. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Was in a little gunshop in Platte City Mo today. Found a real nice pair of revolvers. One is a S&W 45 ACP. It came in as a consignment apparently. Owner dropped it off and said "sell it" not sure what the price will be. The other is a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley with both the 45 colt and 45 ACP cylinders for it. It will probably go for around $700 the gunsmith said. The shop is called Centerfire Central. He said the Ruger is on his website. Both guns look like new.

Merle, TXplt, neophyte and 1 other person like this.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Ruger is priced higher than new. Would hate to know what he is going price the S&W at.

Ten Man likes this.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    The S&W may be a Model 25, an N frame that looks and handles a whole lot like the legendary Model 29 in .44 magnum. The long-barreled models were made for bullseye and bowling pin competitions in the 1950s, and are known as "the '57 Chevrolet Bel Air of target pistols." You need to use moon clips with them, but they are seriously fun to shoot, accurate and without punishing recoil. You get to feel like Harry Callahan without spending a fortune doing it.

If that is what that Smith is, and presuming it's in good condition, grab it. Even if it's one of the 4 inch barrel models, grab it. You won't be sorry.

PAPA G, TXplt and cjleete like this.
  4. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Both looked like 5 1/2 to 6 inch barrels. If I had the money I would have brought them home the other day. I can picture a western style belt with one in crossdraw position. :cool:

Cyrano likes this.
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Did the S&W have a half moon sight or a ramp front sight? If the former, it could be a Model 1917 Substitute Standard Revolver. Both Colt and Smith & Wesson scaled up their police revolvers to .45 ACP and cranked them out by the tens of thousands, because Colt could not manufacture enough M1911s to outfit every soldier who needed a pistol. The need for fast revolver reloads also prompted S&W to invent the half moon clip, which enabled the rimless .45 ACP casing to be ejected by the star extractor. Swing out the crane, press the extractor, all six spent cases in the two half moon clips were ejected. Drop in two more half moon clips with three rounds apiece, close the crane again, and you are back in the fight.

The half moon clip is the first speedloader that did not involve replacing the entire cylinder. Oddly, the idea did not catch on with the law enforcement community, probably because the Colt Police Positive and the S&W Military & Police revolvers were chambered for .38 Special, which is a rimmed cartridge meant to be ejected by the star extractor. As long as the cops held to the .38 Special as the official police cartridge, there was no need for the full moon or half moon clips; and the few departments that opted for .45 ACP before the advent of the wondernines all went to semi-automatic pistols that used magazines, mostly M1911A1s. It wasn't until the 9mm semi-autos started to make inroads into the police community that I recall seeing police officers carrying speedloader pouches on their gun belts.

6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

IF you can find them in stock at your LGS.:(

7. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Normally Buds guns have them in stock but I just checked and didn't see any of the Bisley convertible Blackhawks. The Bisley Vaqueros are usually $100 more money than the blackhawk and they are about $700.
    I picked up my Blackhawk Convertible for $515.00 on Buds about 2-3 years ago?

8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Glad you found something you like. As Cyrano said the older Smiths often have a fantastic trigger pull--it's tough to beat my Smith 64s even though they were 200 dollar guns (with a set of pachmyr grippers, some red nail polish on the front sight, and some cleaning out/lube of the innards they are now fantastic).

As far as OP, all I can say is:

"I GOT a pair" :p

neophyte likes this.