Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I were letting out his boat dock on Lake Lanier today and I looked down and saw a sawed off gun sticking out of the mud. The lake is about 20 feet down so I wasn't surprised to find something, but I was pretty shocked to find a gun. I watch forensic files so of course my first thought was- Is this a murder weapon someone discarded in the lake?

It's a single shot Harrington and Richardson Model 088 and it appears to have most of the barrel and butt of the gun cut off. I guess it should break at the rear of the barreI to load the shell but it is too rusty to function.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what kind of gun this is and what years they have been manufactured. Also, how many digits the serial number should be. I was going to call in a serial number check but only 5 digits are legible so I don't know if they could check it. I was thinking about turning it over to police but I don't know if they would be able to do anything with it.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. :feedback:

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
give it to the cops.
you might be withholding evidence without even knowing it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
yeppers may be illigally to short and if its in your possession i would be very careful with it, i would not take it to them you take chance of getting stopped with it in your car, have them come pick it up , you have a witness to the gun and where ya found it so just be carefull with it

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
tell the cops, show em where you found it, and maybe something good will come of it.
like catch a badguy!

·
Registered
997 Posts

Exactly how long is the barrel and exactly how long is total length. You may be holding onto a felony.

Mine is legal by a half inch. Usually guys cut down cheap shotguns for whatever reason. I use mine for grouse/partridge hunting.

I believe they must be 26" total length and at least 18.5" barrel.

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Glock120
That there sounds like a Shotgun Model number Model 088. They made them In 12,16,20 28, and a 410 bore. Look for a Letter, those i believe correspond to the year if in fact its a shotgun and not a rifle. But you said it had some serialization but only five visible? I'm stumped now? Never the less all above info good from the guys. Call the authorties, let them pick it up and ask them if they would want you to show them where you found it. Ya can't go wrong telling the truth on how ya discoverd it. They Made also a 188,098,488 double check that number.. But don't wait to long to make that call. Thin barrel Or thick barrel circum? And like Sam said take a picture of it, you may never see it again if its taken in.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
turn it in and stop fooling around.
this is serious.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'm going to go with "call it in" on this one as well. Simply tell them the truth in this case. You saw something, hauled it up, and saw it was a shotgun, wondered what to do, and decided to call the police and let them know. If they ask, show them where you found it.

If it was down there long enough to rust shut, you haven't destroyed any traces of evidence by moving or handling it, really. They'll likely just check their records for any old cases of assault or homicide or whatever that matched the ballistics of this weapon (when they get time) and that'll be that one way or another.

Pity you can't ask them if you can keep it, but if it's below legal length, what can you do? If it isn't, ask them if you can have it - why not? Can't hurt to ask.

But yes, really do contact them ASAP on this.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I agree have the cops take it and if no one claims it and its legal its yours after a short wait. however I don't know if you want it, how bad off was it? who knows maybe the big clue in the case and you get the big reward.(not likely I know but still you have done your good deed)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies and info guys. I did call the cops and turn it in. They were kind of disappointing- They ran a serial number check and it came back clean. He asked if I wanted to keep it or turn it in.

I told him I didn't want it (it was below the legal length- has a 12" barrel and 18" overall). He was kind of annoyed at having to fill out a report. After I made him take it and fill out a report he did mention that being in possession of the gun could result in 2 felonies if it came back stolen. I wonder how much trouble he would have given me if it did?

He couldn't give me any more info on the background of the gun. It was a 410 shotgun (I found the other markings after my previous post) so it may have just been someones snake/squirrel gun.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
You did the right thing. What surprises me is a cop being annoyed at actually having to do his job and fill out the paperwork on a positively illegal weapon, even one that's completely useless. Likely they'll melt it down or something.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Looks like a felony gun to me...Be glad you got rid of it, nothing but problems here. It must have been a local cop who gave you a hard time. We only have NYS Troopers here where I live in NY and they are some decent, honest professionals!!!!!:35:

·
Pheasant Hunter
6,185 Posts
Glock120
Yep ya did the American thing there,I would have kept it and put it in a frame for the game room after the police asked me if i would like to keep it. Sure would make a good conversation piece. I believe the cop figured you would have it back, thats why he got to
figuring, ah crap more paper work.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am glad you are rid of that thing. That is a felony looking for a place to happen! I wonder why the cop offered to return an illegal weapon to you? Kinda fishy. Either he was stupid, or was going to wait for you to walk out the door with it - then bust you for possession. You did the right thing!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts