close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Found M17... Urgent questions before spending last dollars on it

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 6, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, I found a PRE BAN Bushmaster M17 at a local gun shop for $550, and would love to take the little fellow home. But having shelled out for an M1, SKS-D, and FA-91, I can't just go frivolously buying another rifle. So I need to learn a few things about it so I'm sure I really want the thing.
    1.) How reliable are they? Did they ever jam? How do they shoot Wolf, S&B, and SS109? What about reloads?
    2.) How easy are they to strip, dissassemble, and clean to the best darn polish possible?
    3.) How does it feel shooting (realizing that a pre-ban with flash hider will be a little different.)
    4.) How does the performance of the pre-bans differ from post bans?
    5.) How accurate is it in MOA with Wolf, S&B, SS109, and various match ammo?
    6.) It seemed very durable to me, but is it really?
    7.) I've heard of trigger discomfort that can be fixed, but how bad is it to begin with, and does it at all affect safety?
    8.) I was very surprised that part of the carry handle is the charging handle, and that the rest is plastic. Do scopes keep their zero?

Thanks to all who respond.

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I heard there were a few probs with some pre-bans, but do not recall the details. I have a post ban M17 and love it. The guns are very accurate and do not kick at all. They use regular M16 mags. Mine was perfectly reliable once I did a little polishing on the sear catches (the secondary sear sometimes hung up). Like I said, they do not kick and there is no muzzle rise whatsoever because of the low barrel. I have been getting 1" groups with regular Remington (UMC) 55 gr metal cased ammo. The rifle can probably do better than that; I am not a real benchrest shooter. It is pretty accurate with other ammo too. Never tried any fancy match ammunition. I do not know about the pre-ban model, but mine has a 21.5" match barrel. There is some slop in the trigger, especially side to side, but it is easily fixed. The slop does not affect safety. The carry handle design does seem odd, but the fiberglass material does hold the zero very well. I was concerned about it too, but it does work. If you are worried about it, there are shops that produce aluminum replacements. Or you could have a shop like Kurts Kustom Firearms remove the handle and cocking lever and install a folding cocking lever and long scope rail on top of the receiver.

3. BattleRifleG3

Does anyone know if the Flash hider is interchangeable with the kind on the AR-15?

4. BattleRifleG3

And is it safe to fire left handed? I'm not a lefty, but know people who are.

5. BattleRifleG3

A friend of mine just talked up a storm about how horrible it is, how it always jams, about the government hating it, about Bushmaster hating it, stuff I couldn't make much sense of. Can anyone else? Among the things he said is that it jammed with government ammo and possibly Wolf. Any common ways to fix this? Is he totally smoking weed?

Is there a reason this is the first one I've ever seen in person but always see a bunch advertised online?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2002
  6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Mine had a lip on the catch for the secondary sear that made it hang up a few times when I first got the rifle. I buffed it off and the gun has worked perfectly ever since. Mine has NEVER "jammed". I have a friend who also has one and his works perfectly, too. Does your friend actually have one? Get him to describe the "jams". I suspect it is the same thing I already told you about and easy to fix.

7. BattleRifleG3

What kinds of ammo do you usually use? Does it like one kind better than another?

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I just use regular Remington 55gr ammo for the most part, as well as some South African stuff. I have tried some hollowpoints, too, with no problems.

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

BattleRifle, I echo Klaus on the M17 Bushpup. It's a great little rifle! Mine has onle had problems when I use questionable ammo - range "pickups", etc. With the UMC, it is flawless, and will under an inch @ 100yards all day long. Mine does not have the iron sites, and I had some problems finding a scope that worked as far as eye-relief. I had to use medium height rings, and so can't get a proper cheek weld. Still, this can be gotten used to. Klaus' trigger mods are a must do, and not difficult.
    I don't advise trying to shoot any bullpup left-handed, as the ejection port would be at your cheek. Ouch!
    The feel is definately different than an AR, but is not hard to get used to. It is also very handy. It tends to be a bit tall, and you may not be able to put it in a standard assault-rifle case with a 30-round mag installed.
    The barrel is a bit thick, and some bipods and other accesories may not fit. Installing a sling-stud for a Harris bipod would be pretty easy.
    Stripping abd cleaning are very easy - push two pins, and swing it open. The bolt assembly resembles that of the AR-18, riding on two stainless steel rails. Very simple and robust. The gas system is refered to as "self-cleaning" by Bushmaster, and has given me no problems. Since the rifle is largely aluminum and synthetic, you could paint it camo and it would look wicked.
    Mine is pre-ban with the AR-style flash-hider. I paid $800, and I've seen them at gunshows for a thousand. Your price is excellent! Look it over carefully, though.
    :assult: