close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

found me a new smle!

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by hemingway89, Dec 17, 2014.

1. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Evangelist

My LGS also sells beer stuff like steins, signs tap handles and stuff like that so I went over to get a cristmass gift for my grandmothers boyfriend. When I walked in he had somewhat bubba'd smle R.F.I 1965 7.62 on the cleaning vise/rest. I asked him how much he wanted and he said $160:panic:. The only things gone/bubba'd is the upper handguard, a groove in the stock by the safety for your thumb and the previous ownerwelded the scope mount in one spot its an s&k mount which I'm not sure if I'm going to remove or not.. It seems a little shorter then my .303 but won't know till I go back. I will be replacing the stock I do not like how it fits me with original. I was thinking Boyds but for this beater I'm Gina go synthetic

swedesrus and neophyte like this.
  2. mack310

mack310 G&G Regular

Many of the Indian 7.62 Nato were, in fact, cut down into what they laughingly called carbines by shortening the wood and clipping the barrel off to 18 or so inches. Makes for on heck of a fireshow when fired, but they are also much easier to handle in the woods. Of several I have seen fired, accuracy suffers along with authenticity. Good luck with it.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    That's a new one on me, mack310. Never heard of Bubba messing with an Ishapore 2A. On the other hand, I never heard of Bubba welding an Enfield No.1 Mark 5 flash hider and bayonet mount to a Mosin Nagant carbine either, until I came across one at the local gun shop and bought it!

Is there any way to bring back some of the accuracy, hemingway89? Recrowning the muzzle? Free-floating the barrel? Bedding the action? Stoning the sear for better let-off? It sounds like it could be an intriguing project. What kind of replacement stock are you looking at?

4. mack310

mack310 G&G Regular

Actually, Cyrano, it wasn't Bubba but some South Asian workshops that cranked these out for the US market in the late 80s and early 90s. Several distributors sold these rifles and you can find them today occasionally dressed as the Australian Jungle Carbine (a no. 6, I guess), the rifle that was never made but would have resembled a Mk. III in a Jungle Carbine or No. 5 wood and flash suppressor. Really a fantasy firearm. The Tanker model was really a shortened rifle as opposed to a carbine, but it was another fantasy firearm as well. Indian or Pakistani shops also converted No. 4 into short or Tanker models by clipping the wood and shortening the barrels. That's where the ersatz No. 5 flash hiders come from that many dealers have in inventory today.