Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never understood why a 'Man' needs the biggest baddest handgun he can carry to defend himself but a woman needs a little small caliber pop gun? Do most husbands or boyfriends think that women are only attacked by smaller more fragile bad guys?
I've been a Cop 31 years. I don't recall any stats that would support the notion that women should carry less gun than a man. My Ex-girlfriend was 114 lbs dripping wet and didn't have problems with a 'Man's Gun'. I think the answer is more training with more gun, not less gun.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
lots of the wemon in our lives dont have the same pasion for guns that we do, that being said they dont jump at the chance to go and practice like we do. on the same note i think if i had started MY ex off with a 45 or 357 the recoil would have scared her off.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
And to add to what squirrelbaster said : I don't think women would want to carry large pistols on there person.
Mike you do make a good point though and if my wife ever ask me to go buy her a 44 magnum pistol.
I'll do it, but I don't think she would be comfortable toteing it around.

Have you looked in a womans purse lately ? There may not be anymore room in them for a medium to large handgun. LOL

Has anyone asked there wife or girl friend for something and they say : Look in my purse !
I'd reather shell a bushell of butter beans than look for something in my wife's purse !

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well I bought the Missus a .38 Spec revolver for Christmas a couple years back and she rather likes it, she's shot my Hi-power and M1911A1 but is uncomfortable with the levers and magazine release buttons and other safety features. She likes to shoot and has become quite the marksman! I'd feel real bad for anyone threatening her while she was armed!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have much trouble with a .38 but often I've had first hand info that a woman was staking her life on a .32 or .25. I've worked a bunch of shootings that envolved these little guns and my experience tells me that the little calibers just aren't dependable. BTW, most, not all, of these little calibers come in cheap guns that aren't always reliable either. I disarmed a guy in a bar after a little disagreement, his gun came apart in my hand. POS, pardon my lanugage.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It dont take a huge gun to take the fight out of a bad guy, the question is wether you are just trying to use the force that is necessary to stop the attack or to put the Son of a Bit## down permanent. I carry both small frame 38's and larger 1911's. I guess it depends on where and when I'm out and about and what I'm wearing to cover it up.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I don't believe it is the size necessaarily, but shot placement that really counts. I've been trying to convince my wife that a .380 is the least caliber to carry but she likes her .22lr. Of course with the .22 she can have ten shots into the perp in a very short time. The part I worry about most is if in a situation requiring the shot, will she be able to do it?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an example of a pop gun at work.
Another bar, another disagreement. The Shooter pulls out a .25 Auto, shoots the Target 5 times in the face. The Target takes the now empty gun away from the Shooter and beats him in the head. The Target refuses Medical treatment and walks home. The Target later uses a pocket knife to dig the bullets out of his face. The Shooter goes into the hospital for a few days and winds up with numerous lifetime scars.
Now most uses of a gun involve just display and the bad guy runs away. I still want at least a .38.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
i agree i would NOT want todefend myself with a .22 or .25, the smallest caliber i would ever suggest anyone carry is a 380 and even that is border line to small in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I have a lil .32 ACP that is loaded with high performance ammunition, it's strictly a backup weapon sort of a choice of last resort but I doubt anyone would appreciate getting popped 4 times by a .32

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i agree i would NOT want todefend myself with a .22 or .25, the smallest caliber i would ever suggest anyone carry is a 380 and even that is border line to small in my opinion.

I carry a .380 and I say this....you'd fear that gun just as much as any other as you are looking at its barrel....right before I pull the trigger! I won't necessarily have to kill the person....but they will go down, LOL.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I carry a .380 and I say this....you'd fear that gun just as much as any other as you are looking at its barrel....right before I pull the trigger! I won't necessarily have to kill the person....but they will go down, LOL.
I must say, Madam, that I'd not be standing still for long if I though you were mad at me and I were in range. :09:

I think the preference for firearms by women is more a matter of hand size and portability more than anything else. I'm a big fellow but it still is not easy to carry a large gun concealed in summer clothing.

Womed seem to want guns that are suited to a smaller frame person AND be able to be concealed on her person.

I mean, think of the popularity of those little phones, Razors. They are slim and concealable, and appeal to women. I can see the same trend with guns.

BTW. I carry a .380 PPK clone. I DO have a full size 1911 but find it just too difficult to carry.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
im not worried that the 380 wont stop the avrage Joe, im worried about the guy on PCP or other drugs that make you be able to not feel pain or lift cars and crazy stuff. when i carry i want a bullet that will stop most everyone i point it at.
p.s which ppk clone you have mitch?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
im not worried that the 380 wont stop the avrage Joe, im worried about the guy on PCP or other drugs that make you be able to not feel pain or lift cars and crazy stuff. when i carry i want a bullet that will stop most everyone i point it at.
Even with a large caliber sidearm, the PCP think might still win out.

The Tueller Scenario:

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tueller Drill

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The Tueller Drill is a self-defense training exercise to prepare against a short-range knife attack when armed only with a holstered handgun.
One would think that a gun beats a knife every time. With superior weaponry, the fight should be easily won. But Sergeant Dennis Tueller, of the Salt Lake City, Utah Police Department, showed that it was not that simple.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
'Tueller Drill', new? We knew that stuff 25 years ago. You start a guy with a knife in hand and another with a gun in holster 20 feet apart and the gun guy will at least get cut every time.
There are bad guys who'll run from a water pistol. They're a concern but easily scared off. It's the determined attacker who you have to arm and train yourself to defeat.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
'Tueller Drill', new? We knew that stuff 25 years ago. You start a guy with a knife in hand and another with a gun in holster 20 feet apart and the gun guy will at least get cut every time.
There are bad guys who'll run from a water pistol. They're a concern but easily scared off. It's the determined attacker who you have to arm and train yourself to defeat.
Who said it was new? :)

I've done this drill many times over the years.

Oh, I have an FEG SMC-380.

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
I was wondering how Billy got those face scars :)
my secret is out.
all this time i had these folks hoodwinked into thinking it was teenage acne.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I've never understood why a 'Man' needs the biggest baddest handgun he can carry to defend himself but a woman needs a little small caliber pop gun? Do most husbands or boyfriends think that women are only attacked by smaller more fragile bad guys?
I've been a Cop 31 years. I don't recall any stats that would support the notion that women should carry less gun than a man. My Ex-girlfriend was 114 lbs dripping wet and didn't have problems with a 'Man's Gun'. I think the answer is more training with more gun, not less gun.
I'm not sure either, the last woman I spent a serious amount of time with I helped her pick out a S&W Model 13 and was teaching her how to shoot that and one of my 1911's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts